Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 13:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently

Mahindra has made some changes to the features and colour palette of the Thar. The SUV now comes with the new twin peaks logo as well.

Name:  Screenshot 20220901 132515.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  82.6 KB

Mahindra has redesigned the switches on the centre console. The traction control and hill descent control buttons have now been repositioned to the centre console. Additionally, Mahindra has also provided a lock/unlock button.

Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-screenshot-20220901-132342.jpg

As far as colour options are concerned, the Rocky Beige and Mystic Copper shades have been discontinued. The SUV is now available in four exterior colours: Napoli Black, Galaxy Grey, Aqua Marine and Red Rage.

Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-screenshot-20220901-132307.jpg

Under the bonnet, the Thar gets a 2.0-litre petrol engine making 150 BHP and 300 Nm (MT) / 320 Nm (AT) and a 2.2-litre diesel producing 130 BHP and 300 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Source:

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2022 at 15:00.
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 13:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently

Hate this new Mahindra logo. It is a butterfly, for god’s sake!!

It is the kind of logo that sells lingerie, not burly SUVs.

Nice of them to fill up the blanks on the centre console. Looks much better and provides easy access to commonly used functions.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st September 2022 at 13:35.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 14:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Nice of them to fill up the blanks on the centre console. Looks much better and provides easy access to commonly used functions.

This logo by Mahindra for me definitely doesn't do justice for the looks of its SUV lineup. I am quite confident pratap bose would have come out with a better design if provided with a substantial amount of time.
Old 1st September 2022, 17:04   #4
BHPian

I had posted about this few days back. See (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

One more thing which seems to be missed here is they have also added auto start stop in manual variants. Its button lies where MID buttons are.

The only thing which seems a value addition is Lock/Unlock toggle button. Don't find anything else appealing.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 18:17   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Personally, I feel that the Thar looked better with the silver colour on the fron bumper. It differentiated the AX variants from the LX variants.
But hey, it is what it is. And the Thar still is a very desirable brand and a very capable off roader.
josephilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 18:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Under the bonnet, the Thar gets a 2.0-litre petrol making 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre diesel producing 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.
The review has incorrectly depicted the torque output of the Diesel Thar. This variant actually makes 300 NM peak torque in both manual and automation avtars. The reviewer states that too s makes 320NM of torque, which is incorrect.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 20:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The review has incorrectly depicted the torque output of the Diesel Thar. This variant actually makes 300 NM peak torque in both manual and automation avtars. The reviewer states that too s makes 320NM of torque, which is incorrect.
+1
The Petrol auto makes 320Nm torque. Both the Petrol and Diesel manual, and Diesel auto makes 300 Nm.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:45   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As with anything new, the opinions will always be divided. We had a poll last year and the results were almost 50:50 for / against the logo (majority for it though). Link to thread (Mahindra reveals new logo for its SUV portfolio).

Agreed that it is a bit more feminine, but that's probably by design. Women are taking to Mahindra's latest product range a lot more than the older cars. Mahindra's marketing team will tell you that the new Thar, Scorpio-N etc. are finding greater acceptance with the fairer sex, than the models they replace. From my Scorpio-N Review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Here’s an important point = the Scorpio-N is now, a lot more woman-friendly than the original Scorpio. Where the original car had crude interiors, this one has a likeable cabin with most of the expected amenities. It has a light steering, an automatic transmission, good-looking interiors, a petrol option, a nice sound system, features (sunroof too, albeit a small unit) and more. The fairer sex cares about these points. My better half was driving the Scorpio-N. She was totally at home within 5 minutes of being in it on the expressway. While women have always influenced car purchase decisions of the house, now there are a lot more women buying 20-lakh rupee cars for themselves too (or contributing to the car’s EMI in double-income families).
And the new logo is definitely better than the old one which was looking outdated IMHO.
Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-2021mahindraboleroneo03.jpg
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Well, there’s always more than meets the eye.

Explanation of twin peaks, 2 M’s visible in the logo and what not.

If I were to draw inference from the butterfly effect in chaos theory, I would say the fluttering of this butterfly’s wings has actually created a storm in the sales chart

So, yeah, to each his own!
Old_Salt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:05   #10
Kln
BHPian

The new Mahindra logo is very similar to the old Maruti logo. Thar is good and all, a runaway success etc etc, but it is undeniable that it is a copy of the Wrangler in a *lot* of its design cues - much like how the new logo is 'inspired' by the old Maruti logo. Ironically the design language and the logo, both of which are 'inspired', go on sync with each other as far as Thar is concerned.
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:24   #11
BHPian

Most people didn't realize while that Thar looked best in Mystic copper and Rocky beige. The majority opted for black, which is good no doubt but somehow it hides the body lines. I love black don't get me wrong murdered out cars have a special place in my heart but not a black Thar for sure!

I feel Thar would look great in gulf racing blue, yellow, maybe white, nardo grey etc. In a way I am happy that I have an 'exclusive' mystic copper

I hate the blanked out switches in my center console, the new toggle switches are huge welcome and I even like the blacked out bumper. I wonder if they added a display for outside temperature somewhere?

Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-20211024_174651.jpg  

Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-20211023_124420.jpg  

Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-20210928_163340.jpg  

Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-20210830_161757.jpg  

Mahindra Thar features & colours revised silently-20210830_122441.jpg  

13thpsycho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
The new Mahindra logo is very similar to the old Maruti logo.
IMHO the new Mahindra logo has a lot of resemblance with other products and services that are related to twin peaks branding (one of which is alcohol-related, sincerely hope Mods will allow it).

The Suzuki logo is a timeless classic. But for me, the Maruti logo looked like a roofing company logo. I see no wings of Vayuputra, but a corrugated-sheet roof?
Attached Images

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 3rd September 2022 at 15:19.
sandeepmdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 01:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra's marketing team will tell you that the new Thar, Scorpio-N etc. are finding greater acceptance with the fairer sex, than the models they replace.
The logo change has added a much needed refresh. An image makeover sorts of. Their SUV division now has a different and a premium looking logo than compared to let's say their truck or tractor division.

TATA could have taken a similar approach for their car and SUV division and it would have definitely made a difference. There are many, specially younger demographic who have a mental barrier against their "T" logo.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 10:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
There are many, specially younger demographic who have a mental barrier against their "T" logo.
I fully agree with your analysis. The T logo does not suit the new design language what Tata had adopted. I wonder why even people like respectable Pratap Bose did not put forth the idea of creating a new brand identity with new logo (like what Mahindra had done). Logo reveals a lot about brand, that's why they are put everywhere (specially outside). I firmly believe that packaging & logo had a big impression on customer's mind (specially younger ones).

I am not at all considering any Tata vehicles for my 2023 purchase for the reason - I can not connect the Brand offering with my aspirations.

Regards
UD
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 12:08   #15
BHPian

Mystic Copper was the coolest color on offer, and if I ever decided to buy the Thar (long shot because it's Mahindra) it'd surely have been that color. Black and Red are quite common, and honestly a car with the muscular proportions of the Thar needs more nuanced colors that make it pop to show off it's lines. Why can't Mahindra offer it in say, off white, yellow (closer to the cucuruma yellow from VG), a shade of blue, or just a range of color customisations and price it accordingly? Sure, you'd have to put the focus back on the customer and the product for that rather than citing humongous waiting periods that have been artificially created.
BrakeDancer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks