Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:29   #1
BHPian

Tata Motors & diversity in action | Harrier & Safari built entirely by women

Dear Moderators

I searched the forum for this topic, but could not find any. Hence starting a new thread. Please merge with existing thread if required.

I received this from one of my friends. It was a great video to see and i am super impressed by the women who are behind one of the leading automotive company in India and who have been in the front and center of some of the new launches. Thanks ladies for breaking the male bastion of assembly line

subraiyr is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:35   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Motors & diversity in action | Harrier & Safari built entirely by women

Appreciate the diversity & the opportunity to women . MG Motors did something similar (MG is the king of sending out press releases for anything & everything, even when they change the colour of their office walls). That being said, when I see a factory line of "all women", I see it as discrimination against men. But that's certainly not a politically-correct topic now, is it? Can you imagine the mayhem & morchas if a car company bragged about a vehicle built 100% by men?

This is discrimination against men. At best, a company should aim for a 50:50 split between men:women. Now, that will be "equal opportunity" .
GTO is offline   (113) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:57   #3
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors & diversity in action | Harrier & Safari built entirely by women

Kudos! Good initiative by Tata.

Still a long way to go before women are expected as "regulars" instead of "exception" at jobs like this one. Even with these 1500 women on assembly line as mentioned in video, women would still be making meagre percentage of total workforce at TATA Motors plant. Next step for TATA Motors would be more women mechanics at Tata Service Centres. Keep going TATA Motors!
negi15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This is discrimination against men. At best, a company should aim for a 50:50 split between men:women. Now, that will be "equal opportunity" .
Ha ha. Well said GTO.

At my firm, we keep pushing for gender diversity of 50/50. Am sure a lot of other firms are doing this. But one of the key areas that we miss out is when we look at pay parity. To me it is not enough to have a 50/50 gender mix, but it needs to be backed up by gender parity

The other thing is that my firm is now moving forward in the diversity game. Its no longer about gender. It goes beyond that LGBTQ ++ and all other different acronyms !!!
subraiyr is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:27   #5
BHPian

wow, now that is something.

There are plenty of jobs that are almost 100% male dominated (at least so far), so some such instances of 100% women assembly lines should be celebrated.

In my limited 20+ years of working, ON AVERAGE I've found women to be more diligent and straightforward workers compared to my men brethren. And one thing that always strikes me is, how proud women are about their jobs, whatever it is, compared to most men, who are mostly dissing their jobs and would rather be doing something else but this job.

More power to women.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you imagine the mayhem & morchas if a car company bragged about a vehicle built 100% by men?

Agree. This kind of messaging is past its expiry date. It’s just wokeism. A weak attempt to get publicity, no matter how lazy.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

If we don't give equal opportunity like men, how do we say discrimination, who will take care of the kids of these women. Will the society be ok if their husband's baby sit. Giving little more opportunity in a male dominated industry is not discrimination IMHO.
SKC-auto is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:45   #8
BHPian

Women, in general, surely possess certain valuable skills, and I'm 110% for employing women wherever they're meritoriously & strategically the best suited for their feminine nature.

But, employing women just because they're women is unnecessary mindless gynocentricism. Such pretentiousness & pseudo-feminism does nothing for women at-large & should not be encouraged.

If the entire business world recognises various positions where the feminine nature often shines, only then it'll create actual & realistic long term opportunities for women at-large. Then even proportions won't matter 50/50, 80/20, xx/yy.

Simply grand-standing & feeding on the half-baked narratives of patriarchy is toxic woke culture viz bent upon showcasing women in certain roles just simply because they're masculine.
WorkingGuru is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:26   #9
BHPian

DEI - Diversity Equity & Inclusion

DEI or Diversity Equity & Inclusion is a hot topic all over today.

Hats off to Tata Motors for kicking this off

Safari & Harrier - Manufactured by an all women crew

Again contrary to popular belief Diversity is not just restricted to Gender and sexual orientation, but covers all aspects race, ethnicity, religious background, age , political views etc..

Thought of having a DEI thread on Team BHP too for open topics on the same.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A good initiative and a long way to go before it’s implemented in other OEMs as well.

Now I see several people say that equal opportunities should be given to men as well. I can assure you that it’s only the Harrier & Safari line that has all women employed. For the Safari and Harrier QC as well it’s more women than men. But all drive tests are done by men only.

Tata should have added their other assembly line in the video as well, the Nexon, Punch and Altroz one which has many more men employed and only a few women. This way they could’ve shown that alongside men, they have employed women as well.

And the rest of the shops at the factory are predominantly all men, so I see nothing wrong if one assembly line is all-women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
With the amount of niggles on these 2 products in specific I dont think this is a well thought out promotional material. Now you just let disgruntled customers know whose fault it was that the ac leaks water inside cabin, sunroof leaks, or the infotainment + speedometer and drive modes hang up time to time leaving owners drive without display.

Come on, you can’t blame the entire reason for all niggles that take place in Harriers and Safaris on women

The biggest reason for the niggles is the cross component sharing that has been done by Tata Motors for the Harrier and Safari.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd September 2022 at 12:22.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

With the amount of niggles on these 2 products in specific I dont think this is a well thought out promotional material. Now you just let disgruntled customers know whose fault it was that the ac leaks water inside cabin, sunroof leaks, or the infotainment + speedometer and drive modes hang up time to time leaving owners drive without display.

Nithesh_M is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:14   #12
BHPian

Good initiative by Tatas. I'm willing to bet that the cars manufactured by this all women team will have significantly less niggles
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:12   #13
BHPian

One can feel its discrimination against Men. But then there is always inherent discrimination against Women. As also against both men and women based on so many classifications we have like race, religion, caste etc. This necessitates such steps with one of the reasons being to make them believe themselves and not give up against the discrimination and inspire each other.

We should live in a ideal world where things would happen equally without affirmative action.

Quality of cars would depend on the processes they have for building them and created by both Men and Women in positions responsible for them. It will Tata's failure.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 23rd September 2022 at 13:15.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 21:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
when I see a factory line of "all women", I see it as discrimination against men. But that's certainly not a politically-correct topic now, is it? Can you imagine the mayhem & morchas if a car company bragged about a vehicle built 100% by men?
Yet another Jordan Peterson fan I see. I am for sure!
sjain2054 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 22:16   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess these women only lines could encourage more women to come up and join the workforce. Maybe it’s a comfort/psychological factor?
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks