Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2022, 19:06   #1

Got allotted a 2-month old car by the dealer | Is it cool?

I booked my Nexon EV Max on May 12th, 2022, the day after it launched with Trupti Motors, Bhubaneswar. I got information from the dealer that the cars are arriving towards the end of September. The car reached the dealership yesterday and today I went for an inspection before registration.

On checking the VIN number for the car allotted to me, I noticed that its manufactured in July, 2022. I checked other cars on the lot, and all of them were manufactured in Sept, 2022.

When I asked the dealer why this was the case, they said that TATA allots the cars and they have no control over it. I asked what the car was doing for so many days and they had no reasonable answer.

For now I told them that I will not be accepting the car. They have said that they will schedule a call with a TATA sales representative.

What do you guys think? Am I making a big deal out of nothing?
rogues is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 09:00   #2
BHPian

re: Got allotted a 2-month old car by the dealer | Is it cool?

With such a high-selling product still unsold, there could be some major problems with the car. It would be best to avoid it and buy the latest manufacturing model.

If you really want to get it, do a thorough PDI. If everything seems fine, you can go ahead. but I would have gone for the latest manufacturing.
SanjayW is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 09:08   #3
BHPian

Two months is not too long. Was the color a non popular color ? Do a PDI and reject if you find something during the checking process. Additionally, if you have a good mechanic take him along.

If you are worried, reject now itself but remember you will have a longer wait period.

Take a judicious call.
bharanidharang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 09:34   #4
BHPian

Maybe you should ask the dealer about the manufacture dates of other cars in their yard that have arrived recently, if possible same spec,if this is the only one with older date, then you should be extra cautious.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 5th October 2022 at 09:36.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 09:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Additionally, if you have a good mechanic take him along.
I don't think a good third party mechanic might be able to understand anything in EV this soon.

To OP, thorough PDI according to the Tbhp checklist would ensure you'd hit minimum snags in future. But, best to avoid older model, reject this and wait a bit more for fresh product. NOTE: newer model may have some features randomly chopped off. Though you may get a more updated car. Factory updates including the recent PWM and pigtail connector upgrades.
Torq is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 11:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Got allotted a 2-month old car by the dealer | Is it cool?

2-months is no big deal, but what does raise eyebrows is:

- It's a fast-moving product and one that's freshly launched. So, why is it still there? Test-drive demo car? Flood damage?

- All other cars in the stockyard are fresh builds.

Do a full Team-BHP style PDI. But yes, do speak with Tata directly. If you haven't signed on the registration papers, then the car is technically not your property. Tell them to allocate some other car. With such things, it's always better to err on the side of safety as a car is such a big ticket item for any family. In terms of financial outflow, it's right after a house and (or on par with) education / wedding expenses.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2022 at 11:40.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 16:38   #7

Thanks for all the responses!

The general consensus in the thread appears to be that 2 months is not very old, but to be on the safer side its better to refuse this car. If I absolutely want it, then I should do a proper PDI, and be as cautious as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Was the color a non popular color ? Do a PDI and reject if you find something during the checking process.
The color for my car is Intensi-Teal. I believe this is the most popular color

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Maybe you should ask the dealer about the manufacture dates of other cars in their yard that have arrived recently, if possible same spec,if this is the only one with older date, then you should be extra cautious.
I tried to understand why this car was more than 60 days old whereas others intensi teal Nexon EV max on the lot were from last month. They mentioned that testing the car sometimes takes time which I think is BS. I did not get any believable response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you haven't signed on the registration papers, then the car is technically not your property. Tell them to allocate some other car.
The car has not been registered yet. This is my first car, and like you said a big investment, so I'd prefer to be more cautious.

The dealer mentioned that they will be scheduling a call with a TATA sales representative. I'll confirm my decision not to buy this specific car after that.

Here are my options in order of my preference:

1. Ask them to allot another car from the September batch of cars.
2. Wait longer and ask them allot a car from the next batch.

Also I think I should talk to TATA directly about this incident and the fact that it will be 5 months since I booked my car.
rogues is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:42   #8
BHPian

As a Tata Hexa owner, I'd advise you to not touch this 2 month old car even with a barge pole.

Not that my Hexa has been unreliable, put there's been the usual niggle and warranty claim here and there. Here's the catch. During the BS4 fire sale in Nov 2019, we booked the Hexa at the discount being offered. The dealer tried to sneak in a June 2019 car. Obviously we refused it. But the car was already loaded in Pune and en route to Mumbai.

During this time I was in touch with a fellow BHPian who had links in the factory and he informed me there were additional discounts being offered for these old stocks. So we negotiated and got the additional discount.

So either the car allotted to you was held back at the factory and your dealer picked it for a discount. Or it was in his hands but he probably found it niggle loaded and as per Tata standards it took the requisite time to clear them out.

Unlike the Hexa, Nexon EV is selling like hot cakes. Since this is your first car, stay firm, and go for a freshly manufactured piece, irrespective of what promises the Tata representative makes.
TROOPER is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Do a full Team-BHP style PDI.
Another issue with doing a full PDI before accepting the car is, EVs are still new in the market & totally different from petrol/diesel cars. It would be difficult to find a mechanic competent enough to assess an EV. So its better to go for a fresh car.
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

2 months is no big deal IMHO. My ciaz was in the yard for 5 months before I bought it. It was ultra reliable for nearly 1.5 lakh km when I sold it.

But then nexon is a fast moving product. Try getting a more recently received car. My altroz and celerio both were manufactured and delivered in the same month that I booked them. Definitely lucky I should say. Nexon sells more than both of the above mentioned new cars. Heck we have a 3 month waiting period for any variant of nexon in my place.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 12:55   #11
BHPian

If I were you & were in no hurry, I would wait for the dealer to assign me a freshly baked product. Why take this kind of stress unnecessarily. No matter how in depth PDI you perform, there are many things that are beyond our understanding, at least my understanding. I would reject the car & ask for a new one.
Engine_Roars is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 15:16   #12
BHPian

Now a days, cars are actually made on order. There is a waiting period associated because of more demand and less supply. You waited for five moths for the car and the car which is alloted now is Two months old, which is difficult to digest. Ideally the car should not be more than 2~3 weeks old.

I hope the alloted car had some issue/niggles which dealer identified and took time to rectify. Since it is an Electric Car please do not take any chance and ask dealer to change it.
Apex1815 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 17:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogues View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
As a Tata Hexa owner, I'd advise you to not touch this 2 month old car even with a barge pole.

Not that my Hexa has been unreliable, put there's been the usual niggle and warranty claim here and there. Here's the catch. During the BS4 fire sale in Nov 2019, we booked the Hexa at the discount being offered. The dealer tried to sneak in a June 2019 car. Obviously we refused it. But the car was already loaded in Pune and en route to Mumbai.
Two months old vehicle shall not a deal breaker for a car which has low shipment numbers. However, in this particular case where it is fast moving model you must avoid to accept this car and should demand currently manufactured one.

I bought my Hexa around the same time when fellow BHP’ian Trooper bought for himself. Mine was July-19 manufactured and got very cool discount. The car stayed niggle free till date except gearbox issue. However you can’t blindly rely on quality checks by Tata as their new breed of vehicles have found glaring quality lapses. Being EV you have to be double sure about the car and must ascertain that it is from current manufacturing batch.
sandeepsc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 17:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogues View Post
I booked my Nexon EV Max on May 12th, 2022, the day after it launched with Trupti Motors, Bhubaneswar. I got information from the dealer that the cars are arriving towards the end of September. The car reached the dealership yesterday and today I went for an inspection before registration.

On checking the VIN number for the car allotted to me, I noticed that its manufactured in July, 2022. I checked other cars on the lot, and all of them were manufactured in Sept, 2022.

When I asked the dealer why this was the case, they said that TATA allots the cars and they have no control over it. I asked what the car was doing for so many days and they had no reasonable answer.

For now I told them that I will not be accepting the car. They have said that they will schedule a call with a TATA sales representative.

I don't think you're being unreasonable or making a big deal of this. Being allotted a 2 month old car means having it sit for 2 months, collecting dust. We've seen how many showrooms maintain such cars, kept open in a field, open to the elements. The longer the car is kept idle, greater the chances of it being rejected during a PDI.
Ankit998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 17:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why the doubt? If I were you, I would ignore it blind folded. With TATA, I cannot take any risks. Just avoid it and ask for a new one. What would you achieve by doing a PDI? You will have no clue of the engine or the electronics. Obviously, they will work when you check them out but what if they fail later? Too many questions, just ignore. Do not be tempted to take it as there will be waiting period if you decline this one. It's better to get a car where you have no doubts in the mind.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks