Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 18:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rating for car manufacturer's

Come October, we have rating process started in my company for the last one year as we follow calendar year in my company. So basically they look back on your performance over last one year & give you a rating, which eventually converts into your pay rise. Normally we have 5 ratings like below based on your overall performance -

5 - Excellent (Extra ordinary). Very rarely people get this.
4 - Very good but not excellent
3 - Good (Normally 80-90% people fall here, LOL)
2 - Average (PIP candidate, means performance improvement plan needed)
1 - Poor (People to let go from company soon)

As I am submitting my rating form now, thought came to my mind that if rating process is there for car manufacturer's, how they will be rated? Below are my ratings for them, this is just for fun as such. These ratings are basically for their performance in last 1-2 years in Indian market.

Tata - Well deserved 5* rating. They have come from nowhere to 3rd number (almost number 2) with great appreciation by people here in India. They are manufacturing some great cars, which are safe and all their cars are doing good. They are giving some serious fight to Hyundai and others manufacturer's are trying to compete with them which was never the case earlier. They are number 1 in EV space and they will be launching many more cars in that space in next few years. All the best Tata. You deserve your rating !!

Mahindra - Another Indian manufacturer who got 5* rating. They are doing simply great with all there new launches like Thar, XUV700 & new Scorpio N. Surely they have lots of waiting periods, but their cars are very good and people are happily waiting for it. Scorpio N is making new records & people will be waiting for 2 years to get their car. They have the best diesel engine in the market, period. There all cars have 5* safety rating which is just great.

Maruti - 4*. They are number 1 in terms of volume but surely not number 1 overall. Their market share has reduced and they have long waiting periods for few models. They launched few good cars recently like Celerio, Ertiga, XL6, Brezza, Grand Vitarra, New Alto etc. but need to sort out their waiting periods and market share. Also they need to make sure that their cars are better built and has better ratings in terms of safety. They are not doing much in EV space yet, in fact nothing. They are doing very good but not excellent for me. Also they need diesel for bigger cars.

Kia - 4*. Doing good business with Sonet and Seltos. Carens also doing some good numbers. Very soon they have captured good market share. But they need to do better in safety ratings for their cars. For the money they charge, customer surely needs better built cars from them.

Hyundai - 3*. Why? Because they are doing good but nothing great in last 1-2 years compared to their own past. Their new designs are weird and not many people like it. In small car space, they are nowhere to compete with Maruti now. They have closed Santro as it was not selling. Creta and Venue saving them but not sure for how long. They need to do something.

Toyota - 3*. Only Innova and Fortuner doing business for them. Their cars are way too costly now and people like me are scared to even inquire about it. They are happy selling rebadged Maruti cars which is really shame for them. Market really needs something better from World leader for sure. They are actually between 2 & 3 in terms of rating for me, got benefit of doubt to get 3*.

Skoda - 3*. Kushaq and Slavia are doing better for them. They are certainly doing better than what they were doing in past. But certainly they need to do better. They should not shutdown their diesel engines. Market still needs them. They should keep selling cars like Octavia. Kodiaq, Superb.

Citroen - 3*. Why? Only first year I would say. They are still new in market and trying to do good with C3. Let's wait and watch. Hope they will get few more models soon for us.

Honda - 2*. Need improvement for sure. Except City, they have almost nothing now. Amaze binging some numbers, that's it. All other cars are dying now.

Renault - 2*. After Duster, they are clearly struggling. Kiger is doing better but nothing great. Kwid and Triber are just doing ok.

Jeep - 2*. Only 2 models but doing ok with increasing prices all the time throughout the year. Soon they will struggle for sure once people are bored with their car. They need something new, may be in below 20 lakhs space.

MG - 2*. Hector & Astor doing some business but nothing great as such. If they sit idle, soon they will struggle here.

VW - 1*. Really?? Yes. For me, they are doing really bad recently. Polo is closed for unknown reasons and other cars are doing just ok. They need to do something very soon for Indian market, else tough time ahead.

Nissan - 1*. Only single model is selling that too in small number. They might be doing good in exports, but here in India they are dying. Not sure how their dealers are surviving.

Really happy and proud for both Indian manufacturer's, Tata and Mahindra. They are trying hard and working day & night to get success. They have utilized Covid period better than anybody else. Mahindra just need to speed up their production to go near Tata in terms of volumes. Congratulations and all the very best to both of them for getting 5* rating.

Thank you for reading !!!

Last edited by aniketi : 8th October 2022 at 18:38.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 19:25   #2
BANNED

Re: Rating for car manufacturer's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

Tata - Well deserved 5* rating.

Mahindra - Another Indian manufacturer who got 5* rating.

Maruti - 4*
While your opinion is well taken, this thread really does seem biased towards Indian automobile brands.
Roadster101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 20:42   #3
BHPian

Why don't you start a poll and let TBHPians rate them.
bivision is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 08:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'd give 3 stars to MSIL for actually being status quo-ist, because all they have done, inspite of their immense market share and number-1 status is to churn out the same (albeit efficient and reliable) type of engines for a number of years, without increasing power/performance, more over, until the Brezza/Grand Vitara, they did not launch cars with 6 airbags, rather have been pushing against increased safety norms. They would have got 2 stars, had it not been for the Hybrid tech and additional launches they seem to be suddenly interested in pushing.
Toyota gets 2 stars in my opinion because they have taken advantage of their unique skillset for far too long, and beyond a certain niche, are not offering much. They need to collaborate to get into the mass segment in India, which is not a good sign considering their global status as a mass manufacturer.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Come October, we have rating process started in my company for the last one year as we follow calendar year in my company. So basically they look back on your performance over last one year & give you a rating, which eventually converts into your pay rise. Normally we have 5 ratings like below based on your overall performance -

5 - Excellent (Extra ordinary). Very rarely people get this.
4 - Very good but not excellent
3 - Good (Normally 80-90% people fall here, LOL)
2 - Average (PIP candidate, means performance improvement plan needed)
1 - Poor (People to let go from company soon)
I find this odd.
The company has 80-90% good people and therefore presumably only ~10% "average" people? (I was under impression that average bracket = what most people will lie under and that is why it is labelled as average)

And the average rating is put under performance improvement? (poor performance need to be improved, otherwise everything short of excellent should be under PIP)

LOL, what sort of world are we living in?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 11:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster101 View Post
While your opinion is well taken, this thread really does seem biased towards Indian automobile brands.

Really? I am more than happy to be challenged. Please let me know who has done better than Tata & Mahindra in last 1-2 years? Is it Toyota, Honda, Skoda, VW or anybody else? Please share your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I'd give 3 stars to MSIL for actually being status quo-ist, because all they have done, inspite of their immense market share and number-1 status is to churn out the same (albeit efficient and reliable) type of engines for a number of years, without increasing power/performance, more over, until the Brezza/Grand Vitara, they did not launch cars with 6 airbags, rather have been pushing against increased safety norms. They would have got 2 stars, had it not been for the Hybrid tech and additional launches they seem to be suddenly interested in pushing.
Toyota gets 2 stars in my opinion because they have taken advantage of their unique skillset for far too long, and beyond a certain niche, are not offering much. They need to collaborate to get into the mass segment in India, which is not a good sign considering their global status as a mass manufacturer.
We have similar thoughts mate. But Maruti is known for making affordable cars only, right? They are improving on that. I would given them 3* only if they have not launched new cars like Grand Vitara, Brezza, Ertiga, XL6, Alto, Celerio, etc. All these cars are good and getting very good success in market. So basically they are doing good in what they are good at. They are not 5* as they have delivery issues, no diesel option and no EV either.

Toyota is 2* only but got benefit of doubt due to Innova & Fortuner sales IMO. But yes, they are more towards 2* only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I find this odd.
The company has 80-90% good people and therefore presumably only ~10% "average" people? (I was under impression that average bracket = what most people will lie under and that is why it is labelled as average)

And the average rating is put under performance improvement? (poor performance need to be improved, otherwise everything short of excellent should be under PIP)

LOL, what sort of world are we living in?
That's the way how corporates work. 80-90% good means they are meeting expectations. Not doing anything great but doing what is there to do. Most companies work on these people only. Recruiting people is a tough job nowadays & it costs a bomb to company. So most companies try to maintain people who are doing their jobs sincerely. You or me can't change how they work. Also handling big companies with big number of people is not a joke.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks