Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 10:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Taisor name trademarked in India; new mid-size MPV or Baleno Cross?

Toyota has filed a trademark application for the 'Taisor' name in India. The new name could be used for an upcoming model, the details of which are still murky.

Name:  Screenshot 20221018 104935.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  67.3 KB

It has been speculated that Toyota’s version of the upcoming Maruti Baleno Cross could be called Taisor.

The Baleno Cross (codenamed: YTB) is a compact crossover based on the hatchback. Spy images suggest that the car will get a redesigned top hat with a raised ride height. It has a large grille with a split headlamp setup up front and a coupe-like roof line.

The Baleno Cross is expected to be based on the Heartect platform. It could be offered with either a BoosterJet turbo-petrol or a 1.2-litre naturally-aspirated petrol engine paired with a choice of either a manual or automatic transmission.

Link to Team-BHP News

Mod Note: The Toyota Taisor has been launched in India. Please continue the discussion on the new thread.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd April 2024 at 21:43. Reason: See mod note
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Taisor name trademarked in India; new mid-size MPV or Baleno Cross?

I thought the rumours of a "mid-size MPV" has died down already. Why would Toyota/Maruti want another MPV? Maruti has the Ertiga, XL6, and in a couple years a 3-row SUV. Toyota will be selling two different Innovas.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2022 at 15:06. Reason: XL6
Old 18th October 2022, 22:39   #3
BHPian

When is the 3 row Maruti SUV expected to break cover? Does anyone know about its existence in the making?
abh411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 23:25   #4
BHPian

There is already another thread discussing the same news. Link : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...h-bracket.html (Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket).

This, to me screams Toyota version of the the XL6. All I hope is, Toyota acts sensible and makes it a proper 7 seater instead of the 6 seater XL6.
Additionally, if it makes monitery / business sense, launch it with a strong hybrid motor. There is an untapped market out there and Toyota can very well tap into it with competitive pricing, given that the product is already out there. It just needs a bit of tweaking. But easier said than done!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 18th October 2022 at 23:26.
Old 16th April 2023, 21:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the Toyota Taisor based on Maruti's Fronx?

Toyota Taisor name trademarked in India; new mid-size MPV or Baleno Cross?-screenshot-20230416-213345.png

Toyota Taisor name trademarked in India; new mid-size MPV or Baleno Cross?-screenshot-20230416-213454.png

Toyota Taisor name trademarked in India; new mid-size MPV or Baleno Cross?-screenshot-20230416-213649.png

volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 21:43   #6
BHPian

This looks like a toyota, because of the logo on the wheels. But i don't think this is a rebadged Suzuki. Doesn't have the Suzuki ORVM caps.

Probably the rumoured Yaris Cross or Corolla Cross.

Last edited by shimoo : 16th April 2023 at 21:44. Reason: More info
shimoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 22:39   #7
BHPian

The car in the pic is neither a Toyota nor a Suzuki, but it's a EXEED LX which is a premium brand from CHERY MOTORS, CHINA.

Toyota Taisor name trademarked in India; new mid-size MPV or Baleno Cross?-exeed_lx_011.jpg

WIKI
TorqueIndia is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 19:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Fronx-based Toyota Taisor to debut on April 3.

Quote:
- Expected to be named Urban Cruiser Taisor

- Will be based on the Maruti Suzuki Fronx

- Updates will only be cosmetic in nature
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th March 2024 at 19:19.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Fronx-based Toyota Taisor teased ahead of launch

Toyota has released a teaser of its upcoming compact crossover. The new model, called Urban Cruiser Taisor, is a rebadged version of the Maruti Suzuki Fronx. It will be unveiled on April 3, 2024.

Toyota Taisor name trademarked in India; new mid-size MPV or Baleno Cross?-1500x500-2.jpg

Like other badge-engineered models in Toyota’s line-up, the Urban Cruiser Taisor will feature the same top hat as the Fronx. That being said, it is likely to get a revised front grille, in line with Toyota’s design language and other minor cosmetic changes.

The interior of the Urban Cruiser Taisor could be largely identical to the Fronx. It will come equipped with a 9-inch touchscreen infotainment system, automatic climate control, a 360-degree camera and a heads-up display.

The Urban Cruiser Taisor is expected to be offered with the same engine options as the Fronx. These include a 1.2-litre petrol engine producing 89 BHP and 113 Nm and a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol unit that puts out 99 BHP and 148 Nm. Both engines come with a 5-speed manual gearbox as standard. While the 1.0L engine gets an optional 6-speed automatic, the 1.2L unit could be equipped with a 5-speed AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 1st April 2024 at 11:02.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 11:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Teaser:

volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Still not able to understand the Toyota's obsession with the name plate 'Urban Cruiser'. Toyota HyRyder and Toyota Taisor sound simple and elegant. Prefixing with Urban Cruiser is pathetic IMHO . Hope some sense prevails with the team who decide the name plates in Toyota.

Last edited by Hickstead : 1st April 2024 at 12:00.
Hickstead is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Still not able to understand the Toyota's obsession with the name plate 'Urban Cruiser'. Toyota HyRyder and Toyota Taisor sound simple and elegant. Prefixing with Urban Cruiser is pathetic IMHO .
Urban Cruiser is associated with prev. Gen Brezza rebadge. So naming it Urban Cruiser Taisor makes it sound more SUV-like

Badge Engineering <===> Name Engineering

What’s missing is actual Toyota Engineering.

They could’ve developed a RAV-4 based vehicle(looks, dimensions, not all the bells and whistles) for Indian markets but chose to go the Fronx+GV route to get a hold in the SUV market. And the Toyota RAV-4 is a stunning proposition to me. It (mostly) would’ve been a bigger hit than HyRyder/Fronx. Don’t need a 2.5L engine, just plonk a sensible Hybrid + 1.5L Petrol engine Combination (a Toyota Speciality) and put some sensible features in it.

In a bid to gain market share, Toyota seems to be happy, diluting their name and quality that they stand for.

Last edited by SixPistons : 1st April 2024 at 12:53.
SixPistons is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 12:42   #13
BHPian

I am not sure this is the correct thread but let me post my car buying decision from fronx turbo to brezza hybrid to finally verna non turbo.

Background - have a 12 year old Swift dzire vxi, the car is a gem but getting long in the tooth and getting general age related issues (cars age , not mine)

The fronx , the good - nimble, sporty ,within my budget, powerful, great mileage, the bad -no frills, no fun stuff like sunroof, almost a Baleno ,the ugly - non existent boot space which was a deal breaker

The brezza, the good - powerful, feature rich , great mileage , the bad - felt overpriced ,the ugly - it's ugly and again boot not that big

Meanwhile found out that the verna sx was almost the same price as the Brezza top end version and went with verna.

The verna, the good - looks good (beauty and beholder thing), feature rich , big like BIG boot, ok mileage, the bad- it's a little less fun to drive in our Namma Bengaluru traffic, the ugly - feel a bit underpowered (my non turbo version)
Old 1st April 2024, 22:35   #14
BHPian

Maruti as a brand is out of my consideration with all these badges engineered products. Toyota is going the same way with no real differentiation between their products. Except for a few cosmetic changes in the front & the badge, everything else is exactly same! These brands are so lost on me.

I think VW does it somewhat better with their Slavia/Virtus, Kushaq/Taigun offerings. The whole look and feel internally and externally are different atleast.

Sigh!
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:01   #15
BHPian

So,
Toyota is going to sell the same car as Fronx with almost zero changes-
1. DRL design similar to Hyryder.
2. Front grill pattern appears different.
3. Interior color change!
And the most important - LOGOS

Until EVs takeover this stop gap arrangement seems to be working well for Toyota India. They should remember that once the cheap badge gets associated for its cars in Indian mind-space it’ll be very difficult to shake that off. Also, I’m very curious on how these Toyota rebadged Marutis perform in our BNCAP crash tests, specifically Glanza and Taisor.

Last edited by sapien : 2nd April 2024 at 00:03.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks