Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector Diesel Automatic variant is not on the cards

MG Motor India has confirmed that the Hector diesel will not get an automatic transmission option.

MG Hector Diesel Automatic variant is not on the cards-2021mghectorfacelift01-1.jpg

In response to a comment on Twitter, the company stated that the launch of the Hector in Diesel Auto variant is not part of its roadmap as of now.

At present, the MG Hector is offered with 1.5-litre petrol, 1.5-litre mild-hybrid and a 2.0-litre diesel engine, which is only available with a 6-speed manual gearbox. However, models like the Tata Harrier, Safari and Jeep Compass use the same 2.0-litre diesel engine. In addition to a manual, these SUVs get an automatic transmission option as well.

MG Hector Diesel Automatic variant is not on the cards-2021mghectorfacelift02-1.jpg

MG is gearing up to launch the updated Hector in India. The SUV will receive some cosmetic changes, including a new grille and bumpers. It will also get Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) this time around.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 13:09   #2
BHPian

Re: MG Hector Diesel Automatic variant is not on the cards

So a huge 55 inch infotainment screen is more important than a diesel auto variant ? What are the guys at MG doing ?

While the diesel manual offers decent performance and FE, customers are forced to move to the petrol CVT variants just for the ease of city driving, albeit returning lower FE. The introduction of a new diesel auto variant would hopefully boost sales. Sad to see MG not listening to the market requirements and losing potential customers because of this. What is an otherwise well rounded package, is seriously missing out on what all other competitors offer.
Yash390 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 13:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
So a huge 55 inch infotainment screen is more important than a diesel auto variant ? What are the guys at MG doing ?

While the diesel manual offers decent performance and FE, customers are forced to move to the petrol CVT variants just for the ease of city driving, albeit returning lower FE.
In a world where diesels will not be a thing for much longer, it does not make much sense to futher invest in it. You mentioned that MG does not listen to the customers? I think they understand the average indian customer far better than rest.

They found their segment and are doing pretty good in it!
omranga98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 13:48   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post
In a world where diesels will not be a thing for much longer, it does not make much sense to futher invest in it.
In big SUVs, you can bet that diesels are going to be around for a while. It's why all the big brands continue to invest in it, including Tata & Mahindra at one end and BMW / Mercedes at the top. What's more, 20-lakh customers prefer ATs to MTs. I believe a majority of Safari & XUV700 sales are in favour of the AT.

Right from the start, MG has put itself at a disadvantage by not offering the Hector with a Diesel AT. FCA's gearbox was initially unavailable & then initially lousy (they have now improved it), so Tata smartly went and sourced an awesome AT from Hyundai. MG could have done the same. Even other competitors (e.g. Seltos & Creta) are available with Diesel ATs.

Doesn't help that the Hector Petrol AT developed the reputation of being a guzzler, something that started with the DCT days. The CVT might be better, but deeply ingrained reputations are hard to shake off.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2022 at 13:54.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 16:29   #5
BHPian

I strongly believe that, if Hector comes with diesel auto, it will have a strong and significant impact on the Tata numbers. Safari/Harrier sells more in the auto transmission compared to manual. So this is a worrisome news for Harrier/Safari duo.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 16:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Do everything right but take one step wrong, and make sure you keep going in wrong direction even when your customers are asking for you to make course correction.

Thanks MG, you prove you do belong to dictatorship root.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 17:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesels make no sense whatsoever for urban car buyers, dirty polluting vehicles that should not be allowed in cities. Of course, if you offer a diesel, a diesel auto makes sense. But no one of going to spend money to develop a new auto for use in India alone or to integrate a new transmission into an ageing platform. Hyundai is in a different space - with its own existing diesels and autos. But even for someone like them, I wonder if their diesels really comply with real world emission norms. There is a large enough universe of buyers who would not touch a diesel with a barge pole - and manufacturers like MG and VW are well advised to focus on them.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 18:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Right from the start, MG has put itself at a disadvantage by not offering the Hector with a Diesel AT. FCA's gearbox was initially unavailable & then initially lousy (they have now improved it), so Tata smartly went and sourced an awesome AT from Hyundai. MG could have done the same. Even other competitors (e.g. Seltos & Creta) are available with Diesel ATs.
Perhaps MG is unable to strike a deal with FCA!!?? Yes and there are many customer complaints about their MT clutch especially in diesel. So they could strive to make a deal or invest in the Diesel AT otherwise there will be lot of unsatisfied customers.

Quote:
You mentioned that MG does not listen to the customers? I think they understand the average indian customer far better than rest.
They found their segment and are doing pretty good in it!
Couldn't agree more. They were quick to bring in updates based on customer feedback to their 2021 model and now the 2023 model w/ADAS. For some reason they're unable to bring any change to the Diesel lineup. Sad but true.

Quote:
Seems lot of people are taking infotainment or interior as a soft corner to bash OEMs. The average consumer across the Globe is expects changes in the interior cosmetic than mechanical. I understand the metaphor 55inch screen but that is where Automotive world is progressing towards, accept or not. Automotive is in the same phase as Mobile (5-6yrs ago) when the Mobile screen sizes were increasing.
darthvader001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 19:49   #9
BHPian

MG is content with the limited success of Hector because it remains the default value-choice between in that category.

I'm expecting a new model, with their in-house developed petrol hybrid as a replacement/successor, after ~3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Diesels make no sense whatsoever for urban car buyers, dirty polluting vehicles that should not be allowed in cities...
This demonisation of diesel needs to stop. Car companies have spent billions reducing diesel exhaust emissions, and the market has paid thru its nose for it. Last time I checked, diesels complying with BS6 emission standards were very very low. Let's see if you could post proportionately caustic & detailed critique of the other (major) causes of pollution.
WorkingGuru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 20:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
This demonisation of diesel needs to stop. Car companies have spent billions reducing diesel exhaust emissions, and the market has paid thru its nose for it. Last time I checked, diesels complying with BS6 emission standards were very very low. Let's see if you could post proportionately caustic & detailed critique of the other (major) causes of pollution.
Diesel vehicles emit particulates, SOX and NOX which all contribute to urban smog. And emissions in real world conditions are far higher than those in theoretical test conditions - even when manufacturers are not fudging the tests. In urban India, which anyway suffers from high levels of particulates and smog, diesels are exceptionally bad. European governments screwed up badly when they got obsessed with CO2 emissions which will harm the world in a hundred years, and favoured diesel, which harms people today. So I will continue to demonise diesel. And it is for the governments to stop the pollution by banning diesels.

Before you call me a hypocrite, I will admit I am one - since I own and still use a BS4 diesel which I bought in 2017. But that is the classic Prisoner’s Dilemma problem - people will optimise for themselves even if everyone doing that leads to a worse outcome for all of us. If you live in a small village and rarely if ever come to cities, buying a diesel is ok.
Hayek is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 21:05   #11
BHPian

In my reading of how MG is looking at Indian markets, they have clear mandate to shift towards EV, with plans to bring in atleast 25% sale from EV as soon as CY2023.

Their philosophy is simple, invest more in EV ecosystem + maintain the current ecosystem till EV takes over as a replacement of Diesel cars. With new emission norms coming in from April 2023 + strong Hybrid petrol in making at Wuling branch of MG, they seem to be clear about why petrol + EV is the combo to continue investing in.

In simple words, those interested in Diesel AT, may continue to look elsewhere.

For me, current Petrol AT is good enough in 90% usecase, hence I will anyday prefer to buy Hector 2023 facelift over the current competition.
manpreetsj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 07:57   #12
BHPian

BS6 Phase 2 RDE is based on real driving emissions on road. The norms for Diesel and Petrol are the same. So I guess demonisation can stop.

Last edited by athalaga : 25th October 2022 at 08:00.
Old 25th October 2022, 15:15   #13
BHPian

An alternate hypothesis-

Hector's Petrol engine is in-house while the diesel is sourced from outside (FCA). So the latter will be expensive.

The pricing for both diesel and petrol is aggressive. Hence the Petrol will be more profitable than the Diesel.

Right now, Petrol Hectors outsell the Diesels- a good chunk of them being automatics.

So if MG were to bring out a Diesel automatic, they seem to think that it will cannibalize their more profitable product, the Petrol one!
Old 25th October 2022, 17:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post

Their philosophy is simple, invest more in EV ecosystem + maintain the current ecosystem till EV takes over as a replacement of Diesel cars. With new emission norms coming in from April 2023 + strong Hybrid petrol in making at Wuling branch of MG, they seem to be clear about why petrol + EV is the combo to continue investing in.
I doubt if there is any such philosophy. They have made a mistake of not investing in decent power train pretty much across the entire product line. It has already bitten them back with Tata`s revival of Harrier twins.

Remember ZS EV is being outsold by its ICE engined twin but Astor itself is a non starter with poor sales. Without good power train MG will not be able to sustain in India to see the EV revolution whenever that is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I strongly believe that, if Hector comes with diesel auto, it will have a strong and significant impact on the Tata numbers. Safari/Harrier sells more in the auto transmission compared to manual. So this is a worrisome news for Harrier/Safari duo.
Initially I thought Hector wont do anything to Harrier`s sales - but I was wrong and after seeing the car for real it sure was the better vehicle of the two. MG overnight changed what people wanted from a large SUV of this price segment.

All this was until the Harrier V2 was released with more power, features and AT.

Now the tables turned.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks