Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2022, 09:23   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Taking the legal route against Tata Motors for my problematic Harrier | Please guide me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Don't agree. When we are spending 20+ big ones it's better to be safe than sorry. I would rather go with the norm(Harrier, Safari, XUV 700, Kushaq, BS6 Diesel cars, etc) than the exception(probably your Thar).
We can agree to disagree. But even the use of the word ‘norm’ in this case is wrong.
Sweeping statements and generalisations are not accurate representations of facts. Nor are exceptions.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 09:28   #17
RRM
BHPian

re: Taking the legal route against Tata Motors for my problematic Harrier | Please guide me

So sorry to hear the painful experience of owning a so call wonderful product! Another documented ownership experience!

In my opinion, before you plunge into legal system vicious circle, consult a very good lawyer who can tell you the practicality and facts and a potential timeline as well as the expenses. It gives you a better perspective and may help in deciding to go via legal route or keep chasing the ASSC or sell it (bear the loss)

Legal route as we have heard or seen, is a time consuming process and takes ages to get a simple resolution and after few hearing postponements the frustration may start to take over you. Finally add all these cost on top!
RRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 09:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
We can agree to disagree. But even the use of the word ‘norm’ in this case is wrong.
Sweeping statements and generalisations are not accurate representations of facts. Nor are exceptions.
How does that matter here? Specificity doesn't change the reality here. Reading the issues threads of Harrier and Safari gives me the chills, and again the XUV 700 issues thread, and the BS6 diesels thread. Not long ago, it was Kushaq and Seltos DCT and this has been the case with new launch volume sellers.
Old 16th November 2022, 09:35   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
How does that matter here? Specificity doesn't change the reality here. Reading the issues threads of Harrier and Safari gives me the chills, and again the XUV 700 issues thread, and the BS6 diesels thread. Not long ago, it was Kushaq and Seltos DCT and this has been the case with new launch volume sellers.
Just an ‘in-principle’ argument about avoiding generalisation. Nothing else.
To tell you the truth, I believe that many of these issues are very probably only because of this crazy race to get to market fastest and that being the primary driving force of all these manufacturers.
Brings to mind lemmings, all hurtling towards the cliff edge, just to fling themselves off into the sea.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 10:53   #20
d.j
BHPian

Re: Taking the legal route against Tata Motors for my problematic Harrier | Please guide me

Point is, 3 years of timeline and with 48k kms done, the absolute situation of this problem doesn’t exist anymore and proving their fault in relative terms is going to be hell of a job. Also, to my mind the first thing the judge may question is why didn’t you turn up during these last 3 years?

I say, Life happens, we can’t help all the things around, you should look forward and get over this, nor you should take yourself on a guilt trip of not trying, pls don’t fall for it!!, consider a more practical choice to explore for.

Regards/DJ
d.j is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 14:01   #21
ike
BHPian

Re: Taking the legal route against Tata Motors for my problematic Harrier | Please guide me

Legal route is painful because of the multiple levels of resolution available. If you are considering approaching the consumer forum, you will have to start at the local level and assuming that you get a favorable outcome, the manufacturer is going to appeal in the state forum and then at the national forum considering the amounts involved. Takes up a lot of time and energy but go ahead if you have the stamina.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 16:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j View Post
Point is, 3 years of timeline and with 48k kms done, the absolute situation of this problem doesn’t exist anymore and proving their fault in relative terms is going to be hell of a job. Also, to my mind the first thing the judge may question is why didn’t you turn up during these last 3 years?

I say, Life happens, we can’t help all the things around, you should look forward and get over this, nor you should take yourself on a guilt trip of not trying, pls don’t fall for it!!, consider a more practical choice to explore for.

Regards/DJ
I agree, 3 years is a long time from the date of purchase to approach a court and that too with 48k kms on the ODO.
I would say sell the 'Lemon' and move on instead of wasting your precious time and resources with our fantastic judicial systems.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 17:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sir, I understand your problem. It's really painful to go through such an experience. While most of the forum members will caution you against going the legal route (for obvious reasons), I believe these companies generally don't treat their customers well because they know that no one will get into a legal hassle with them. But, I would encourage you to go the legal route.

Like a learned member gave some valuable information and answers to all your questions, you will get help along. I know it's easy to give advice but I strongly think people should start standing up to these companies and make their voice heard. I had a very troubling experience with Air India 3 years ago. They would not refund my cancelled ticket and I spent more than 15 hours (yes, you read it right), on the phone with customer care on multiple occasions and still did not get my refund (around 8400/-). I thought of going to the court very seriously but all my friends and colleagues discouraged me. I really feel bad for not doing that now. It's not only about the money, it's how they play with your trust and blatantly lie on the procedures and policies. Keep your documentation strong (every bill, job card, email, showroom visit, invoices, call records etc.). I hope justice will be delivered in your case. Have a clarity on what you expect from TATA. Good luck!
Raghu M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 17:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't agree. When we are spending 20+ big ones it's better to be safe than sorry. I would rather go with the norm(Harrier, Safari, XUV 700, Kushaq, Seltos DCT, BS6 Diesel cars, etc) than the exception(probably your Thar).
The harrier twins is an exception or an anomaly even for a Tata, it is not the norm.

Given the number of Nexon, Punch & Tiago that sells every month you can conclude it right there, else our threads will be lit with complaints - but that is not the case.

Given the time at which OP has purchased this vehicle, I don't think he had much of a choice - anyone in the market for a vehicle like this would have had a 30% chance of ending up with a Harrier.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 17:48   #25
BHPian

There is no use fighting TML. They won’t improve and you can open any thread about their products and you will find similar stories of shoddy QC and repeated futile visits to the TASS.

If you are unable to live with the car, sell it at a good price while it is still under warranty and buy something from a more reliable brand.

If you want your revenge against the company, quietly discourage anyone in your social circle from buying their products.

I have personally suffered a lot because of their shoddy QC but I don’t bother any more. I have come to understand that Tata cars just age rapidly after 4-5 years. That’s why you hardly see any Indigo, Manza and Safari on the road. Most of them just fall apart and you can do nothing but repent trusting this company.
Nissan1180 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 18:30   #26
BHPian

I would encourage you to take the legal route. Tata has to be taught a lesson. Such companies take customers for granted in the name of nationalism. They need to learn from others who are better at service. Just approach a good lawyer and file a case at the earliest demanding good compensation for all the troubles you have faced till date. Companies don't always have good lawyers and don't spend money on every case. In some cases they will agree to settle the matter out of court. So don't get discouraged by anyone and don't let Tata forget that Customer is always the King.
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 10:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

People make mistakes. You learn from them and move on.

Sorry to say, but you made a mistake going for a Harrier, considering so much negative feedback around it even in the initial days. Even today, BHPians are wary of the Harrier/Safari twins, and only go for them, taking a calculated risk.

I would say, close of the loan at the earliest, and sell this car. You might take a little financial hit, but atleast your mind would be at peace. Don't go for the legal route as it will-

1) Drain your time
2) Drain your financial resources
3) You are bound to keep the car, till the time legal route isn't closed
4) With 3), you are bound to rue your decision of buying this car for a long period of time
5) The legal route may not go your way, resulting in nothing but frustration for you. This can affect mental health massively
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 10:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
I would encourage you to take the legal route. Tata has to be taught a lesson. Such companies take customers for granted in the name of nationalism. They need to learn from others who are better at service. Just approach a good lawyer and file a case at the earliest demanding good compensation for all the troubles you have faced till date. Companies don't always have good lawyers and don't spend money on every case. In some cases they will agree to settle the matter out of court. So don't get discouraged by anyone and don't let Tata forget that Customer is always the King.
Tata has to be taught a lesson - Agree.
Will Tata learn the lesson - Naah
Lots of people tried.

To OP - Make peace. Sell the car and move on.
Naetik30 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 11:45   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Will you really have the time, resources & patience to go through the legal process? I feel it will be quite an overhead, for minimal gains.

If I were you - I'd get the car fixed from a good independent garage, not some small FNG. Someone who maintains costlier cars generally. They tend to have the right diagnostic abilities & tooling.

Or - I'd sell the car off taking a marginal hit to the pocket but earning a huge peace of mind. And then - buy a different one. And buy a different one, fully aware that lemons are everywhere. They aren't as rare as we hope them to be. We can just wish to be lucky enough to not get one.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 12:03   #30
BHPian

As an Advocate with some experience in Consumer Forums, I can tell you that pursuing this matter legally will be both tedious, time consuming and expensive. Depending on the quality of the lawyer you hire, you are looking at anything between 20,000 - 1,00,000 as Legal costs. Yeah, the range is wide and I am speaking about your regular lawyers and no one fancy. Secondly, despite the faulty product, the follow ups, you have already used the product for 48,000 KMS. What is the standard warranty on the product offered to you? How many years?

Calling a car a lemon is one thing and proving that the car is actually a lemon is a totally different beast. This will be hard to prove in courts. Your replacement of vehicle after using it for 48K kms is extremely difficult IMHO.

I would not advise pursuing this matter legally at this stage, especially since you have used the car extensively. If it was a lemon, it should have been pointed out almost immediately after purchase. What you can probably do is consult a lawyer friend and send out a legal notice to Tata Motors for sale of defective product and see if it catches their attention. This is essentially a bluffing technique designed to see if they respond more efficiently. If they do, may be you get some kind of resolution, if not, you may either decide to pursue this matter in consumer forum, or drop it, depending on how you feel about it.
Ays7 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks