Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 16:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Bad transmissions in cars sold in India | A non-exhaustive list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
I Think "Toyota" is a major investor in ZF.
Even Toyota uses the same gear boxes in Toyota's and Lexus cars throughout the world. Most of them are Niggle free.

Just by looking at the volumes, we can say its a fantastic gear box.

Today, Toyota consumes more ZF gear boxes than what BMW does. Thats something.
Thanks for sharing. So far, i thought Toyota uses auto gearboxes from Aisin (owned by Toyota), but didn't know they also are invested in ZF. Possibly, Toyota's costlier offerings use ZF GBs and others use Aisin...!
VikramCS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 17:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

To the list, Honda City CVT gearbox for me. It totally takes away the fun from the iVTEC engine. It is good for city use, but on highways its a pain. Really had a tough time doing quick overtakes in City CVT on fast highways.
For that matter most of the CVT gearbox in budget segment are good as long as you are in the city speed. The IVT in my new i20 is fine till 90kmph, and then it takes ages to reach 120kmph . Of the lot I have found the CVT in Kiger / Magnite better.
I would anyday pick a DSG or well tuned TC over CVT.
sunikkat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 17:43   #18
BHPian

I would add the 5th Gen. Honda City’s CVT gearbox to this list. The gearbox is lethargic to the core and completely takes away all the fun of the excellent 1.5 iVTEC.

It’s fine for the sedate stuff where you’re driving with zero expectation but that’s where it’s positives end. Try a bit of spirited driving or hit a slightly steep ghat (Lohagad ghat/the drive to Machaan or even Panchgani) and our friend’s inherent laziness comes out like a caged tiger. Step on the pedal and the CVT makes the engine groan and roar but that’s about it. There is literally zero increase in the power being sent to the wheels and you only end up wasting fuel. I rather preferred the 6-AT of my 3rd Gen. City over this.
Potenza is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 19:22   #19
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Not sure if the Hyundai/Kia DCT is unreliable anymore. The horror stories were mostly heard up to Dec 2020. Haven't read major complaints about the cars sold after Dec 2020. I may be wrong though.
I was just reading a recent post here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5443350 (Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years)

Does not look like there is a permanent resolution yet.
mxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 19:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
This problem is 2 years old. Sad that it is still not resolved. What I said is for the DCT in last 2 years, mostly after the software fix in 2020 from Kia.
After a lot of research and searching for any negative reviews in last 2 years, bought Kia Carens DCT. Hopefully it works out well in long run. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Knightrider : 24th November 2022 at 19:45.
Knightrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 19:44   #21
BHPian

I'm pretty sure most of the following are the result of poor tuning.

Toyota Yaris CVT: All I can call it is "yawn inducing." It literally felt like it was strangling the engine, with the ridiculous delay between punching the accelerator and any progress being made whatsoever. It managed to feel lethargic even in city traffic, which is honestly a feat that's impressive for all the wrong reasons.

MG Hector DCT: It was just slow and dim-witted; very unexpected for a DCT. It still came with all its flaws though, such as jerkiness in traffic and the usual suspect reliability too. Worst of all worlds!

Honda City CVT: As said earlier, it sucked all the soul out of the rev-happy 1.5 Litre i-vtec engine. Even in manual guise, it lacked low-end performance, but compensated for it with its blistering top-end. The CVT robbed it of everything! Dreary at best.

Jeep Compass/Meridian Diesel Automatic (ZF-9): The gearbox always seems to be in the wrong gear for the conditions at hand. What makes matters worse is that it seems to love shifting in the middle of corners, upsetting the balance of the car. Not to mention its incredible reluctance to let the engine rev!

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 24th November 2022 at 19:52.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 23:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Honda City CVT: As said earlier, it sucked all the soul out of the rev-happy 1.5 Litre i-vtec engine. Even in manual guise, it lacked low-end performance, but compensated for it with its blistering top-end. The CVT robbed it of everything! Dreary at best.

Jeep Compass/Meridian Diesel Automatic (ZF-9): The gearbox always seems to be in the wrong gear for the conditions at hand. What makes matters worse is that it seems to love shifting in the middle of corners, upsetting the balance of the car. Not to mention its incredible reluctance to let the engine rev!
CVT of Honda at gentle inputs feel 'direct' so a lot of one time drives may give people the feel of a good transmission but once you ask of it to be a Honda City, it drops the ball.

I do have to note that the Gen5 city MT is much improved over the last one, none of that usual iVtec hesitation at low speeds. The driving experience in MT was finally as you liked in the old gen City but the ride quality, rear seat comfort and NVH is not class leading. Overall MT is the real Honda City.

Since compass and harrier twins share the engine -

I keep seeing this drive assist error in Safari , It's something to do with exceeding a certain speed in first gear , perhaps in this case the ECU is trying to prevent stress on the drive shaft beyond certain engine speed for the given gear.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 23:52   #23
BHPian

Honda city CVT. Bad to drive. I would rather ride a cycle.
DQ 200. Reliability issues
robby0707 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 08:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
One transmission that came to my mind immediately after reading this thread's title is the AMT gearbox that was sold in the Mahindra TUV300. I read about a bhpian from Hyderabad who sold his car because of the transmission issues and upgraded to a Compass.
I am that unfortunate owner of TUV 300 AMT. The worst decision I ever made in my life was this purchase. The AMT was not suitable for a vehicle which was 1.5 ton heavy. Even M&M was aware of the AMT issues and silently discontinued it in the facelift "Bolero Neo" version.

My dad bought a i10 AMT, and he is so happy with the purchase, all he does is singing praises for it. He also drives a Creta MT Diesel.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 09:04   #25
BHPian

The City CVT is actually not that bad, it deserves a lot more compassion I think.

I had Owned one (5th Gen) for a year or so. 20-80 and 60-100 acceleration was actually quite good in sports mode. See the comparison with Slavia (from Autocar)

Bad transmissions in cars sold in India | A non-exhaustive list-temp-1.jpg
Nav-i-gator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 09:17   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
I Think "Toyota" is a major investor in ZF.
Even Toyota uses the same gear boxes in Toyota's and Lexus cars throughout the world. Most of them are Niggle free....Today, Toyota consumes more ZF gear boxes than what BMW does. Thats something.
Sure? Toyota has invested in the ADAS section of ZF I believe, not the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
Thanks for sharing. So far, i thought Toyota uses auto gearboxes from Aisin (owned by Toyota), but didn't know they also are invested in ZF. Possibly, Toyota's costlier offerings use ZF GBs and others use Aisin...!
Yes, Toyota uses Aisin transmission and its own developed transmissions for most of its offerings. No way Toyota is going to use some other transmissions.

The only Toyota AFAIK using an ZF transmission is the Supra, and we all know the reason.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 21:50   #27
BHPian

Ooooh I have a few:

1. Maruti's 4 speed AT

2. Hyundai's 4 speed AT

3. Punto Abarth's shifter
ashivas89 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 21:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agree with your thoughts on the Honda CVT! While most people go gaga over the Honda petrol CVT, I have found it to be very irritating and somehow annoying as well.

On the ZF-9, well, I have just bought a Compass diesel AT with this auto box and I think its just fine for the city traffic conditions. I actually found the Petrol DCT of the Compass to be a lot more fun, but at the same time I was very sceptical of the fuel efficiency associated with that combination. So I ended up buying this diesel auto combination and I have to say that I’m quite happy with it in City conditions. I’m yet to really take it for a long drive, but it seems like a very commuter gearbox rather than a revv happy one!
motorworks is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 00:08   #29
BHPian

The 4th generation Honda City's & Yaris's CVT box are absolutely rubbish, the rubber band effect is way too high, the car takes ages to pull though I am glad Honda reworked the gearbox on the 5th generation and is a lot more better now & good decision by Toyota to pull the plug on Yaris, the car was extremely underwhelming for the price.

Even the Nissan's CVT in Micra was absolutely horrible but then again it has been brilliantly tuned in the Magnite.

Even the CVT in Renault Fluence & Koleos were extremely sluggish.

Though the worst AT box for me would always be AMTs. There's nothing more ridiculous than them irrespective of the car.

Last edited by YashD : 27th November 2022 at 00:12.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 10:08   #30

Quote:

Toyota Yaris CVT: All I can call it is "yawn inducing." It literally felt like it was strangling the engine, with the ridiculous delay between punching the accelerator and any progress being made whatsoever. It managed to feel lethargic even in city traffic, which is honestly a feat that's impressive for all the wrong reasons.

MG Hector DCT: It was just slow and dim-witted; very unexpected for a DCT. It still came with all its flaws though, such as jerkiness in traffic and the usual suspect reliability too. Worst of all worlds!

the Yaris CVT and the Camry CVT are very good. smooth change and easy to accelerate. no issues in my ownership history with the toyota technology
arsenalfan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks