Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 17:03   #1
BHPian

Palio Not considered as a good buy by banks??

Hi,

I have my heart fixed on buying the Plaio 1.6 stile sport.
Took a TD sometime back and fell in love.

When it came to finance I applied for a seven year term loan(wanting to keep my monthly outgoing minimum), but the bank only approved for 5 years.When I asked for the reason they told me that Palio is not considered to be a good buy.I was taken aback by this silly comment.
I even tried to talk with SBI guys they told they can finance it for 5 and not 7 years , no reason provided.

Is it true that Palio has a bad rapo with banks?

Do i still go ahead and get the car?
Old 9th July 2007, 18:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

go ahead its a good car, banks look at resale and residual value and both of them are bad in Palio's case and hence the issue.
Old 9th July 2007, 18:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

As Jaggu stated, the Palio's command a very poor resale value thereby making it difficult for the banks to recover the loaned amount in case you default to make payments in time. Hence to minimise risks involved they give you a lesser term period and in case of stupid banks like ICICI, they charge a higher rate of interest. Me and a friend took loans from State Bank of India and they voluntarily gave it at 9.75% for 7 years to my friend and at 9.50% for 5 years for my car. Mind you this is On - Road funding and it was worth the hassle I took for documentation!!
Old 9th July 2007, 18:08   #4
BHPian

Why don't you speak to the dealer for the finance, I am sure they will work out a loan term you are looking for. Have you tried UTI Bank and Kotak Mahindra.

Hellcat
Old 9th July 2007, 19:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

As opposed to Hellcat's view, I wouldn't take a loan by keeping my dealer in loop simply because the dealer sales team get a commission amounting to a certain percentage from the finance company for recommending and signing up a customer for their banks loan option. Its better to do it directly with banks and working out a deal.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:08   #6
BHPian

As far as I know.. SBI does not look at the brand of the car you get for approving a loan. But I guess in your case they have.. beats me!!
Old 9th July 2007, 19:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow - that was some news. While the banks look at it from a purely biz sense, if you like the car pick it up. You'll be long harping abt its brilliance to your grandchildren. This being the Palio 1.6, btw.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

hi depriciation = high risk = higher interest rate (this is how it should work)
Old 9th July 2007, 19:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pailo is good car buy it if you liked it. I have heard same story about Banks
not ready to give long term loan on cars with poor resale value.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
As opposed to Hellcat's view, I wouldn't take a loan by keeping my dealer in loop simply because the dealer sales team get a commission amounting to a certain percentage from the finance company for recommending and signing up a customer for their banks loan option. Its better to do it directly with banks and working out a deal.
There is no known way of avoiding a commission being paid to someone - whether openly or secretly. Even if you go directly to a bank the loan will get officially routed through a DSA (in most cases the dealer from who you are buying) without your knowing about it. No bank will risk antagonising the dealer.

The best way to deal with this situation is to find out who will pass on the maximum commission back to you.

The dealer can recommend a few private financers but I doubt if you will get a decent deal from them as compared to the rates a bank can offer. I don't see any private financer offering you a loan for seven years on a Palio unless you pay them a substantially higher rate of interest.

Try raising the down payment amount a bit, if the monthly outgo is a major issue. Talk to multiple banks and choose the one that offers the lowest EMI. When you ask for a quote do tell them openly that you will take a quote from every one - don't feel shy about saying this. It will ensure that you get the best rate.

Sudipto
Old 9th July 2007, 19:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is a normal credit risk management tactic by banks - where the car is not popular and has poor resale value, they either restrict or reject financing. Even insurance companies do the same thing - for instance, in the case of the Daewoo Matiz, I have been told that most insurance companies refuse to provide comprehensive insurance cover for the same reasons - non-production car, poor resale value, no company service support, etc.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:42   #12
BHPian

Be it car loan or housing loan, ypu pay less if you take a loan for less duration, and lesser still if you prepay the loan. That way, I think it is in your financial interest to take a loan for less tenure and finish it off even earlier. If I were you, I will not be lulled by the hype that longer tenure is easier on the wallet. That is not the case, you just have to check it yourself.

If you can afford the higher EMI, you should go for a low tenure loan, and finish it even earlier. That way, you will save considerable amount of interest.
Old 9th July 2007, 20:21   #13
BHPian

Doesnt the tie up with tata supposed to resurrect fiat in India.

A colleague of mine referred someone to process my loan, apparently he got a loan for 7 year term on a Maruti through this guy.
Later I find out that this loan guy works for the dealeship from whom I want to pick the car.
Anyways I feel the offer is not that bad with an emi of 2274 per lac(Please let me know your views on the figure).
Old 9th July 2007, 20:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

Palio resale value goes really down to below 2L in 2.5 years.

Thats the main reason the banks dont give long term loan on the Palio. And one of the reasons why palio is the most VFM purchase as second hand car.
Old 9th July 2007, 20:41   #15
BHPian

I tried to get info from someother banks.
HDFC and Kotak also dont finace it for 7 years.

I dont mind taking the 5 year option, ill be saving on interest afterall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks