Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2005, 08:56   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX
Actually I fell in love with the scooby again and have sold my Octavia today. Currently I am searching for a used forester (Which I think I won't find) and then I am off to booking a new one !
Congrats, WRXXX! You are buying my dream car! Like I read in one review a while back, Subaru made crossover's* before crossover's became cool.

I've started to see quite a few Foresters on the roads recently, both in Bangalore and in Cochin.

* Crossover: An SUV that handles on tarmac like a sporty sedan. Example: BMW X5.
Old 14th July 2005, 10:08   #17
Team-BHP Support

I wanted to buy the forrester. I really did. What did me in.....
1. poor performance esp at low revs.
2. cramped and bouncy rear seat where i sit mon-fri.
between cramped and bouncy i wished they could atleast eliminate the bouncy. Skoda did. so i got an Octy.
IF you drive yourself every day, and IF you prefer to rev the engine over 2000rpm the forrester is good.

Different strokes for different folks = the indian market is mature enough.

Last edited by navin : 14th July 2005 at 10:09.
Old 14th July 2005, 18:10   #18
BHPian

personally i feel the forester is a great car(oh sorry,a crossover).my dad is a proud owner of subaru and he says there is no car like it(he owns a subaru legacy in oman)every time we ask him to change(its almost 10 years old!!)he says there is no car that is as good to drive as a subaru!
i feel the general should be more aggressive if they expect more foresters to leave the showroom.guess what,they have only a single demo car for the whole of south india!how can they expect people to buy without even once seeing it?i went to the chennai dealer.the pretty lady there politely informed me they would get the car if i made advance payment only!!
any idea at what price a good condition second hand forester can be got?
Old 14th July 2005, 18:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Ford endeavour is pathetic in power and interiors are old.I have heard rumours ford is about to discontinue it

Hyundai tucson is a fwd when not in AWD. something I personally hate in SUV's. I wouldnt pay A premium on a Hyundai SUV yet.ANd again I wouldnt take a 14lac suv out in the mud.
endeavour was discontinued in most of the international markets while it was being launched in India ..

@Tuscon ...how does it matter wether its a FWD or a RWD ? does not make a difference as long as you are on tarmac ..AWD on tuscon is standard .switch it on the moment you get off road ..
Old 14th July 2005, 18:38   #20
BHPian

Here is something I really don't know if I should do:
Just need an opinion,

I am looking for buying the car in Delhi/Hariyana and use it in the
Himalayas and then bring it back to bangalore.

Also:
I am really not feeling like paying the LTT(Lif Time Tax) Karnataka government requires me to pay. For the condition of the roads the state provides
and now the fact that the Forester doesn't need one ;-)

On top the stupid TAX rates I have already paid 1.3 L as LTT on my Octavia :-(

Do people here on the list know if it is worth taking the risk of driving in Karnataka
with a HR number plate for 2 Lakh rupee offset (Car is 14L in Hariyana vs 16.15L
in Bangalore ?).

CAn I keep pushing my luck telling cops that I am traveller, I just moved in
etc... ?
Old 14th July 2005, 18:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Congrats, WRXXX! You are buying my dream car! Like I read in one review a while back, Subaru made crossover's* before crossover's became cool.
Thanks for the wishes !

Actually the Impreza I had was quite capable on off-road aswell
except not as much of a ground clearance as Forester may be.

So making a Cross sports vehicle is something that is in the blood of Subaru

Last edited by WRXXX : 14th July 2005 at 18:52.
Old 14th July 2005, 18:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I wanted to buy the forrester. I really did. What did me in.....
1. poor performance esp at low revs.
2. cramped and bouncy rear seat where i sit mon-fri.
between cramped and bouncy i wished they could atleast eliminate the bouncy. Skoda did. so i got an Octy.
Okay, when I first test drove, the closest on-road behaviour to the
Impreza was the Octavia and that was the reason I had that car. But then I realized my lifestyle was little over too much on off-road than just on-road. Thats when I had to take this expensive step of expelling the Octy.

I had no probs with the Octy except for its nerve wrecking ground clearance
problem.

Last edited by WRXXX : 14th July 2005 at 18:49.
Old 14th July 2005, 19:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats WRXXX. You definitely are one very brave soul to dump an Octavia and buy a Forester.

Quote:
CAn I keep pushing my luck telling cops that I am traveller, I just moved in etc... ?
Hard to comment on that but you should better get your car KA registered sooner than later.

Quote:
1. poor performance esp at low revs. 2. cramped and bouncy rear seat where i sit mon-fri.
I agree Navin. The rear seat doesn't have adequate space. And the performance at low revs is a bit underwhelming.

As far as price is concerned, i did see a Forester here in Mumbai for sale at 9.5 lakhs. It was a mid-2003, blue Forester. Don't specifically remember the mileage, but it did seem like a steal.

WRXXX, if you really need a car very badly very soon, i'd suggest you wait till Subaru launches the 2.5 litre, 175 bhp variant here. Cuz from what i hear, Chevrolet is currently off-loading the last remaining stocks of 2.0 litre Foresters. So try and go for a big discount on em' while they last.

Revv
Old 14th July 2005, 23:20   #24
BHPian

Sure, Checking up with the GMI dealer here, saying there is no plan for the engine change. Obviously they must be lying.

I can wait as I am not in any kind of hurry !

Currently the dealer here is not seem to be offering any discount
but that seems to be unbelievable. It would be good to know the plans GMI has on bringing the new engine.

It probable is worth both ways :
- Waiting for the new one
- Bargaining on the existing model.

But the GMI dealers here seems to be very un-enthusiastic about selling the Forester itself I don't know whats going on ?
Old 14th July 2005, 23:21   #25
BHPian

Forrestor is going to be launched as Subaru? Is there some news on it?
Old 15th July 2005, 01:46   #26
BHPian

Vow ! Octavia out for a forester ?!?! A very brave move .
To be honest i don't think you ll be getting any dealer discount on the Forester coz in delhi you won't find any standing at the dealer's showroom mainly coz its a very slow moving vehicle .
So as far as i know ,they would only get it on order but its better to call up at GM helpline or at the head off in gurgaon to confirm if theres any discount going on .

Congrats in adv .
Old 15th July 2005, 11:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
But I find the forester to be the only off road performer in India that is good onroad too. I will certainly take a car offroad when it is capable and cheap at around 10lacs too.

forester is a mix of estate, sedan and suv is true but it is not having identity crisis. Instead it is a superior mix of one. I will call it a giant hatch that performs like a sports car on road and suv offroad.

No doubts on Subarus reliability ever. yeah the low speed power is just a glitch that doesnt come in the way much.

ANd finally I love those rimless door.

forester certainly makes a better buy among the optras corollas elantras lancers and octavias if you want more boot and like to own a suv alongwith a sportscar

This is one comment that really reflects my thinking,
Forester as for as I know doesn't have an identity crisis, Infact it is mother of all the Crossover SUVs that have become a fashion today.
Old 15th July 2005, 22:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Vow ! Octavia out for a forester ?!?! A very brave move .
To be honest i don't think you ll be getting any dealer discount on the Forester coz in delhi you won't find any standing at the dealer's showroom mainly coz its a very slow moving vehicle .
So as far as i know ,they would only get it on order but its better to call up at GM helpline or at the head off in gurgaon to confirm if theres any discount going on .

Congrats in adv .
I talked to the GMI person today who is the CBU head for the south.
Although his answers wern't clear he mentioned that GM is still working on getting the 2.5XS into the market.

But he made it clear that there is no discount offered as GM last year reduced the price by two lakhs.

Now if there needs to be any discount it has to be from the dealer it looks like it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks