Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 13:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass & Meridian Club Editions launched; cost less than base trims

Jeep has announced the launch of the Compass and Meridian Club Editions. These limited edition SUVs are priced at Rs 20.99 lakh and Rs 27.75 lakh (ex-showroom) respectively.

Jeep Compass & Meridian Club Editions launched; cost less than base trims-20230209123439_jeep.jpg

The Club Edition is based on the entry-level Sport trim of the Compass and the Limited trim of the Meridian. Besides the ‘Club Edition’ badges, the features list remains unchanged. Interestingly, the prices of the Club Edition undercut the base price of both models. The special price is applicable till February 28, 2023.

The Compass comes equipped with an 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment system with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, cruise control, dual airbags and ESC. It is powered by a 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine and is paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The Meridian gets a 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system, a 7-inch digital instrument cluster, automatic LED projector headlamps, 18-inch alloy wheels, a wireless charger, 2-zone automatic climate control and 6 airbags. It is available with a 2.0-litre diesel motor mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 9th February 2023 at 13:37.
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 14:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass & Meridian Club Editions launched; cost less than base trims

Welcome to the club of exclusive, endangered and may be extinct in few years.
bullitt1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 14:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Formalizing the otherwise ~3.5 discount on Meridian and an effort to prop up the dive in Compass sales by offering a fat discount.

All this is happening while car prices in general are going up by the day is certainly an interesting situation! A rare win for the consumer.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 15:44   #4
BHPian

Another brand on ventilator but an interesting take on the discounts, instead of discounting they launched a new edition at lesser prices to save the brand image.

In reality both Jeeps are overpriced for what they offer, Compass was launched at the the right price 14.95L I think they should have stuck to that. India is a price sensitive ROI focused market. Folks with the right purchasing power will spend that kind of money in Innova Hycross instead of Compass or Meridian.

Another thing which I feel impacted the brand pull is engine sharing, with Harrier / Hector offering larger dimension, more features and the same engine further makes Compass less on ROI. Baseline is 99% of buyer are not enthusiasts and if offerings are not lucrative over competition then sales will be a challenge.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th February 2023 at 18:47. Reason: Minor typos.
Asoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 16:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its good to see manufacturers bite the bullet and make a formal price correction, however they may have postured it.

I really like the Citroen C5 as well as a product and hope they can also price their products better too. More brands being viable and profitable in our market only means more choices for us as consumers. If Ford India had still been in India today hands down I’d have bought the Endeavour in that segment. Was really disappointed to see it shut.

Hopefully this gives these two products a continued lease of life. Jeep still seems to command a decent fan following - they need to address their inconsistent QC, quality of service and of course right pricing.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 16:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
In reality both Jeeps are overpriced for what they offer, Compass was launched at the the right price 14.95L I think they should have stuck to that.
It has only increased at around 6% per annum (since 2017) Inflation, usd/inr depriciation, salary hikes are much more than that. I don't think price increase is unjustified.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th February 2023 at 18:49. Reason: Aligning minor edits in quoted text.
designatedriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 16:56   #7
BHPian

This is interesting.

- The Compass shown in the image looks like a Model-S, visually at least. If that's the case then this could be an amazing offer. However, if it is based on the base 'Sport' variant as per reports, that means there's only a 1 Lakh price reduction compared to the base sport variant. That's not a lot, for the same spec especially considering they were happily doling out a 2L discount even last week.

- The Meridian's club edition seems to be only in 4X2 MT. I doubt if this will have any takers as most of that segment prefer automatic. I doubt what this would achieve, except a lower price tag for the sake of advertising.

This feels like a desperate attempt to 'look' like better value. The problem however is that it only looks like value on paper, but isn't so in reality.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 17:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedriver View Post
It has only increased at around 6% per annum (since 2017) Inflation, usd/inr depriciation, salary hikes are much more than that. I don't think price increase is unjustified.
Mathematically its ok, but in last few years a lot of options have come up (XUV| Harrier | Safari | Hector | Scorpio) & even though it is superior product but the premium it is asking cannot be justified
Old 9th February 2023, 19:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The reason for the cheaper than base variant trims is the the car on the top of the list here, period.

Jeep Compass & Meridian Club Editions launched; cost less than base trims-7630b3d9d5004e49ae85d2998f80af20.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 22:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
Mathematically its ok, but in last few years a lot of options have come up (XUV| Harrier | Safari | Hector | Scorpio) & even though it is superior product but the premium it is asking cannot be justified
It is superior in terms of features and interior quality but both Mahindra and tata twins have superior drivability and power. Amusing since the tata twins are using jeep’s same engine with a Hyundai gearbox.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 22:30   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So what happens to the previous base version - Sport in the case of Compass if it is identical? Is that variant stopped? Price cut with a new variant rather than discount is welcome as it will reduce the Road tax and insurance part as well.
Old 10th February 2023, 08:20   #12
BHPian

Are there ‘some what’ major changes to accommodate for the upcoming BS6 RDE norms?

Accordingly, JEEP is clearing the inventory by formalising the discount.
abhi_tjet is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 11:22   #13

A lot of people would happily consider these twins if they had priced their automatics properly.
Old 19th February 2023, 12:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Are there ‘some what’ major changes to accommodate for the upcoming BS6 RDE norms?

Accordingly, JEEP is clearing the inventory by formalising the discount.
I asked the Jeep sales person I was in touch with when I was more seriously considering the Compass and he flat out declined any changes coming for MY 2023. Upon pressing further he gave me a 'as far as i know' no changes.

I'm not sure to believe him or not, as the Compass is legit decked out features wise not sure what they could add. Quality wise up there as well. Most I could think of would be a better spread of features in lower variants compared to the top Model S and a price correction, across all variants, not just lowering the point of entry.
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 17:22   #15
BHPian

IMO the pricing (while on higher side) is quiet decent. About ₹2lakh across board reduction on all variants would be perfect. Also I have not understood the logic of combining, AT with 4x4 for diesels. Offering just Diesel AT would give a nice ₹2lakh reduction for those variants.

The problem in Indian market is that there is a big gap in 5 seaters between the ₹20 to 25lakh "premium" mass market cars like Harrier, XUV700, Creta on one side and ₹45 to 50 lakh BMW X1, Audi Q3 etc.

If you are looking in between this range, there are very few realistic options and the Compass is then very attractive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks