Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2023, 18:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti launches 2023 Ciaz with added safety features

Maruti Suzuki has announced the launch of the 2023 Ciaz. The updated sedan gets new safety features and is now available in dual-tone colour options.

Maruti launches 2023 Ciaz with added safety features-screenshot-20230214-181252.jpg

The Ciaz comes equipped with Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Hill Hold Assist as standard. The car also gets dual airbags, rear parking sensors and ISOFIX child seat anchorage.

The 2023 Maruti Ciaz is powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine with mild-hybrid tech. It develops 103 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm and is mated with 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic transmissions.

The Ciaz is available with a choice of 7 exterior colours. These include three new dual-tone shades of Pearl Metallic Opulent Red with Black Roof, Pearl Metallic Grandeur Grey with Black roof and Dignity Brown with Black Roof.

The dual-tone colour options are available on the top-spec Alpha variants priced at Rs 11,14,500 (MT) and Rs 12,34,500 (AT).

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 18:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti launches 2023 Ciaz with added safety features

Ciaz is a 9 year old model if I am not wrong. I wish Maruti gives it a generation update to stay relevant in the market. VAG launched the sedan twins, Honda is coming with the City facelift, and Hyundai is coming with a new generation Verna. This is the only proper sedan from Maruti, and I really wish they properly update it.

Black facelifted Ciaz with a tiny boot spoiler steals my heart whenever I spot it on the road.
saikishor is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 18:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Is powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine. It develops 103 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm and is mated with 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic transmissions.
I only removed the "with mild-hybrid tech" from the above statement. Now it can be used to describe a car's drivetrain from 15-20 years ago too!

Think I'm exaggerating? The 2003 Honda City 1.5 produced 100 BHP and 130 Nm of torque. The 2008 Hyundai Santro had a 4 speed automatic transmission.
lordrayden is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 18:44   #4
BHPian

I have a 2014 Ciaz ZDI .
What has changed over the years.
Interiors : Nothing
Except that the rear seat gets an adjustable headrest on the top end .Exteriors :
  • Healight
  • Bumpers
  • Tail lights
  • Alloys design

Under the boot/Engine :[*]Diesel engine from fiat sourced 1.3L bs3 to in-house 1.5L bs4 to no diesel variant
[*]Petrol engine tweaks on the 1.5L engine adding some new features to it.

When it comes to Maruti Suzuki, they just do minor facelifts or color changes on models for as long as a decade before actually changing a full design.

The above statement is backed by cars like the M800, Alto, WagonR, Swift ,Versa and now the Ciaz.
Ohh and the longest Omni too.

Last edited by PistonCrown : 14th February 2023 at 18:54. Reason: Adding about Omni and Versa
PistonCrown is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 19:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonCrown View Post
[*]Petrol engine tweaks on the 1.5L engine adding some new features to it.
IIRC, they replaced the 1.4 litre engine with the 1.5 litre in 2019. Since then, everything has remained same. And 2019 was almost half a decade ago. Maruti should learn some lessons from other brands. Hyundai has atleast kept up with the recent norms of downsized turbo petrol engines. Same with VW and Skoda. But can't say that about maruti and their pre 2021 models. Honda city is an exception because it went through a generation change. However, Ciaz is still stuck in the same generation.
P.S. - I'm not a fan of the downsized 1 litre turbo petrols.

Last edited by TurboKat : 14th February 2023 at 19:09.
TurboKat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 23:25   #6
BHPian

Just in time from Maruti when Hyundai teased their next gen Verna.
Now who's gonna tell the folks at maruti that this attempt at '2023 Ciaz' is nothing more than a lame joke. This ciaz is going to compete with the next to next gen of Verna that was on sale when ciaz arrived on the market.

I said this back in 2021, but I'll say it again. The only saving grace for ageing maruti lineup was that great 1.5l diesel engine that I never even got a chance to try out. It came and went in a flash.

Last edited by DriverNo.420 : 14th February 2023 at 23:30.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 00:17   #7
BHPian

New 2023 Ciaz.
What have I missed?
Does it come with new engine? - No
Does it come with new auto gearbox? - No
Does it look different from outside? - No
Does it look different from inside? - No
Dual Tone colours ? - Big YES

Dual Tone colour is the way Maruti thinks this car will compete against the new Verna & Honda City ?
grshnehete is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The Ciaz comes equipped with Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Hill Hold Assist as standard. The car also gets dual airbags, rear parking sensors and ISOFIX child seat anchorage.
Why can't they offer 6 airbags as their competition? What a joke in the name of updates! No wonder it is the least selling model from Maruti stable.
Old 15th February 2023, 11:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti should look at a making Ciaz- Tour variant with CNG ( if needed) It would be ideal for fleet operators who need cars with a bigger boot.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 11:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think Maruti should look at a making Ciaz- Tour variant with CNG ( if needed) It would be ideal for fleet operators who need cars with a bigger boot.
The boot will also get reduced by 1/3rd after adding a CNG.

Even after that, the boot space will be higher than other CNG cars at that price point.
Old 15th February 2023, 12:07   #11
BHPian

Man look how the mighty has fallen! Can't believe this used to be the bestselling C-segment sedan until 2019 and has now been reduced to being the least selling sedan!
In fact, the Ciaz doesn't even feel like a car of the same segment as the City, Verna, and the German twins anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
This is the only proper sedan from Maruti, and I really wish they properly update it.
Black facelifted Ciaz with a tiny boot spoiler steals my heart whenever I spot it on the road.
True that. Ciaz still looks very classy on the outside, especially in the Black shade with the bodykit they offer as accessory. Shame that Maruti is giving it such a stepmotherly treatment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
I only removed the "with mild-hybrid tech" from the above statement. Now it can be used to describe a car's drivetrain from 15-20 years ago too!
The powertrain is honestly the main reason why we rejected it twice! I've always been a fan of the Ciaz's looks and yet, couldn't make up my mind to buy it simply because the engines and interiors are just not worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Why can't they offer 6 airbags as their competition?
Ciaz today is pretty outdated and too old. Hence it makes no sense to do mechanical changes to the car to incorporate 6 airbags when the car actually needs a thorough update.

Ciaz definitely deserves better treatment and I hope Maruti won't just discontinue it altogether and update it thoroughly!
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 12:45   #12
BHPian

What a joke, this! 4 speed auto? I think they primarily catering to the govt department that are replacing aging fleet of ambassadors. And I guess they don't give cahoots about power/transmission, features etc.
Old 15th February 2023, 12:50   #13

Back in 2017, when my father was looking to replace his ageing 2007 Honda City ZX (the facelifted fish), he wanted to simply walk into the Honda showroom and book the Gen 4 City V. His reasons were simple, the car was spacious, reliable and Honda's usually have great engines that can easily last the lifetime of the car with routine maintenance. I wanted him to test drive everything else, and we did. Without getting into why the competitors didn't make the cut. I specifically remember my Ciaz experience
While the volume of space was nice, the plastics felt cheap, the seats felt relatively flat and unsupportive, the engine felt lethargic compared to Honda's VTEC and the entire car felt built to a price. The test car rattled after having driven barely 10k.

Getting to the point, most of the cars in contention about 6 years ago, have either been phased out, or have received generational shifts. While the Ciaz soldiers on on what is basically a 10 year old platform. If I was in the market for a plush sedan, I honestly wouldn't even have Ciaz in my shortlist.
Old 15th February 2023, 13:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Maruti offering additional safety features probably means that tighter regulations are round the corner

Thank you, MoRTH (not Maruti)
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 14:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Ciaz definitely deserves better treatment and I hope Maruti won't just discontinue it altogether and update it thoroughly!
Grand Vitara is the answer

Just like how Hyundai dumbed down Verna (sells decently still) for pushing the Creta up the sales chart and make lots of money in the process, Maruti has realized that making thin profits on economical cars is not going to work in the long run - Its rather obvious already.

So Grand Vitara gets everything new tech that they have while its price is ~24L for the Hybrid (same as City Hybrid) and ~21L for the normal version which is a bit more than normal City - in both cases they are easily outselling the City.

If the upcoming Verna succeeds, then we can expect an all new Ciaz.
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks