Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2023, 15:53   #31
BHPian

Re: The Hyundai Santro nostalgia thread

Surprised to see lot of like minded/experienced people as mine.

2006 Santro Xing Sky Blue XL was my first car and as in the first post of this thread, learnt to drive, reverse, dash, maintain etc etc with the car. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

Had a lot of great and not so good memories with the car as well. But after having clocked 53K kms over 3.5 years and after multiple trips from Bangalore to Chennai. Kanyakumari, Mysore, decided to part ways with it along with some memories.

As long as I had the car, never had major issues about it and it served more than well being a first car of a new driver.

It was a sunshine car for me for sure.
Old 23rd February 2023, 00:54   #32
BHPian

Lovely thread!
The Santro is the car that single-handedly helped make Hyundai what it is today in India. It is in my opinion, still the best city car that somebody on a tight budget can buy and use without having any hassles. Sure it is not really fun to drive at all and is rather boring overall. But for someone looking for a cheap, easy to drive, practical, and reliable run-about, it ticks all the boxes. I wish Hyundai would've kept the Santro Xing alive till today and given it a few spruce-ups.

The engine may not be rev-happy, but it has enough pep to keep up with city traffic and deliver fair FE at the same time. And that tall-boy design, what a revolution that was. It gave Maruti a run for its own money back then!

My respect for the Santro further went up after the Mumbai Kaali Peeli taxi brunt was passed onto it from the Padmini. Now if a car can take the kind of strain, abuse and running that a Mumbai taxi can, it sure is a good car

We had a 2006 Santro Xing in Ebony Black and it was a great car to potter around the city in, especially for when my mom went shopping!

Attaching a picture of the green Santro that was part of our family garage almost two decades ago. It was the original model with the 1.0 litre engine purchased new by my uncle in 2000.

The Hyundai Santro nostalgia thread-img_20210203_161815.jpg

Last edited by BeemerBug_06 : 23rd February 2023 at 00:58.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 00:17   #33

This thread brings back childhood memories. My parents owned a Santro Xing XS in the early 2000s. As a school-going kid, I wasn't the biggest fan of the car as I fantasised about owning the mercs and BMWs that were not as common a decade ago as they are now in India. But I fondly recollect that the Xing felt like a spaceship when compared with the Maruti 800 that we previously owned. While I never was a fan of the original Santro's looks (unsightly, to say the least), with the Xing, Hyundai had massively improved on the styling front. The car looked and felt much better than anything in its segment. Additional features like the rear wiper, which, much to my dad's annoyance, I used to turn on randomly even during dry spells, were a delight to use as a kid. I used to constantly roll down the power windows and peer out on the roads at night as I had made a hobby of identifying other cars on the street by looking at the shape of their headlights.

The Xing was quite a reliable machine. It had suffered several minor, and one major accident and yet kept going. I also remember an incident where the car's rear glass spontaneously shattered while we were at a traffic signal. This incident had left me traumatised and scared to ever lay hands on the rear defroster button, the constant running of which my dad insisted was the reason behind the occurrence. Whether it was an early morning late-to-school dash or a late-night rush to the hospital when my mother was expecting my younger brother, the little Hyundai never disappointed, so while the car lacks a "cool" factor and may not have introduced any groundbreaking innovations to the Indian car scene, it will remain memorable to me for the role it played in my nascent years as an automobile enthusiast.
Old 28th February 2023, 12:16   #34

This is such an amazing thread. I am already feeling sad that I will have to bid adios to my first ever car The Hyundai Santro Xing 2009 in February 2024.

15 years of ownership and so many memories. Still runs so smoothly and gives an amazing super fast feel at 80 km/h :-D

Kudos for bringing this thread up.
Attached Thumbnails
The Hyundai Santro nostalgia thread-img_20220930_164537__01__01.jpg  

divyank25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:29   #35
BANNED

My experience with the santro was a positive one and specifically on how well the A.C had worked in the summer season of hyderabad. My friend's family used to own a 2010 santro and on one day he came to pick me up and as soon as i sat down, I was surprised on how cool the cabin was and he told that their santro has always had great air conditioning and for the next ten minutes i was praising the car on how good the A.c had worked given it's age. Although they had replaced it with 2018 creta, i still remember this one thing to this day.
Sattii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:41   #36

We bought a Santro xing in 2006. Absolutely loved it. There was something about that car!! It had something for everyone in the family. Be it the ease of getting in and off or the space available inside to its reability . I learnt to drive in that car. We had it for 10 years. It had never given up on us in the 1.1lakh kilometres we did but we gave up on it finally to buy a bigger car as our family had grown big too... looking back I wish we had never sold it!!
Old 6th March 2023, 15:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleDrive View Post
We bought a Santro xing in 2006. Absolutely loved it. There was something about that car!! It had something for everyone in the family. Be it the ease of getting in and off or the space available inside to its reability . I learnt to drive in that car. We had it for 10 years. It had never given up on us in the 1.1lakh kilometres we did but we gave up on it finally to buy a bigger car as our family had grown big too... looking back I wish we had never sold it!!
Attaching a picture of our Santro doing 1 lakh Kilometer
Attached Thumbnails
The Hyundai Santro nostalgia thread-wp_20160207_001.jpg  

CastleDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 00:48   #38
BANNED

I can proudly say, I am one of the last 3 buyers of Santro sold in July 2022.

I bought my first car, Lord S-Presso in 2021. I use it for long drives where boot is required. CNG car was always at the back of mind. Learnt driving on an old Santro from driving school. I checked Santro sometime in 2021 November and was smitten by it. Suzuki cng is known. But I wanted to own Hyundai cng with good interiors and Santro has that 1.1Lfour cylinder engine. The purchase was on mind. In the meanwhile I bought new xl6 and 2022 triber for parents and inlaws.

Exactly on 12 July 2022, I read in Team-BHP that Santro sold only 7 cars in June 2022. Then decided to take a plunge to buy Santro CNG before it is history. Made fanatic calls to Hyundai show rooms to enquire about availability of CNG inventry.

Dee Em Hyundai Gurgaon: They said biege Magna CNG was available and just gave a scribbled on road price.

Ramaa Hyundai: No stock was the reply.

Koncept Hyundai: No call back.

Deep Hyundai (one of oldest in Delhi) : They said White and Grey Sportz CNG are available. Gave detail deal in WhatsApp. Offered 5500 discount on insurance and free basic kit. They quoted 7.28 lakh.

On 13 July 2022 visited Deep Hyundai Mangolpuri. Sat with them. Final deal at 7.2 lakh. Booked Titan Grey Sportz CNG. Was saying manufactured month could be March. The SM was confident that only he has Santro inventory. Paid 11000 booking amount and took delivery on 20 July 2022. Added Hyundai wheel covers, fog light, reverse camera, seat covers and anti-rust coating.

The interiors are class than MS Wagon R. In July 2022 only LXI CNG price is comparable to Santro Sportz Executive CNG.
Santro CNG comes with rear ac vents, rear power windows, touch screen (mirroring) , steering mounted controls. For 7.2 L, a decent vehicle with CNG and comforts.

The 1086 cc Epsilon engine is similar to IRDE2 engine of i10 Era second gen. The peak torque comes at higher rpm. Mileage is good. CNG gives 29-31 km/kg in city. The engine once it starts and moves, becomes silent. Vehicle is stable even at 150 kmph.

Took Extended Warranty for 5 years and Shield of Trust. I would like to keep this vehicle for long.

Love my Santro Sportz Executive CNG.
Proud owner of Santro's History.

The Hyundai Santro nostalgia thread-img_20230329_004728.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 29th March 2023 at 02:18. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Typos fixed. Please proof-read before posting. Thanks!
Travel Bright is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks