Team-BHP - accidents on the expressway
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   accidents on the expressway (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2639-accidents-expressway-2.html)

Education and discipline is extremely necessary when it comes to driving on the expressway. What can be more stupid than stopping in the overtaking lane just to enjoy the breeze or scenery or whatever?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ July 12 2004,17:05)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ July 12 2004,15:47)]Bombay pune Expressway:

Seen cattle relishing plants on the road divider.

Hey Rudra,

I saw this on the way back from our mahableshwar trip as well.
I was quite ammused, but then also realised that the guy whos job it must be to cut the grass must have struck a deal with his friend "you help me do my job and i'll feed your cows" lol

R

Same here too Rudra... the cattle were grazing on the grass on the Divider near the Ghat part of the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. May be ... its part of the Expressway Improvement Plan to level the grass throught the divider in a natural and a not so costly way!!!!!!!

The problem with the expressway is it lulls you into a false sense of security. After all the traffic and the pathetic roads in the cities its the most natural thing to let go. But I think anything above 150 is asking for trouble esp if you can't see at least 200m of the road ahead. If you are doing above that I don't see how you can stop in time should you come across any of the frequent lane closures the repairs guys put up at will.

The last time I was on there was a massive brick on the overtaking lane just 10 km from Pune. I just missed it by an inch. If I had hit it and I was doing 120 the car would have rolled and I would have another writeoff on my long list of destroyed cars. I informed the delta guys immediately, hopefully they would have removed it. After that I was constantly looking out for obstacles on the road. The bottom line is you really have to be careful. Even losing one finger on your hand can change your life radically.

Hey,

Rauls post just reminded me of this number i have saved on my phone (i suggest you do the same)
Mumbai-Pune Expressway emergency - +91 98224 98224
I had taken this number down more than a year ago, so if someone would like to check if it is still the correct number please do so and let us know.

Drive safe,
R

rehaan,

thats the correct number. was going to lonavala on friday with my gf and had to come back from the toll booth coz of a urgent official call .

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (raul @ July 13 2004,10:48)]The problem with the expressway is it lulls you into a false sense of security.

Exactly, on normal roads, you know that anything can come in your way at any moment. But on the xpressway, you never really think of all those things, and when they do happen you're caught by surprise.

I find it easier and more comfortable to drive on 2 lane national highways rather than an xpressway.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Mumbai-Pune Expressway emergency - +91 98224 98224

thanks rehaan, I've been meaning to note that down and I've finally done that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]thats the correct number. was going to lonavala on friday with my gf and had to come back from the toll booth coz of a urgent official call .

Hey NC, you mean you called the number and told them to spot the car with XYZ registration no??? And they did it? I'm impressed!

Rtech

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]On further inspection i saw that inside the trailer were the mangled remains of brand new Tata Indicas going to dealers for delivery.

I saw a similar trailer with 2 damaged Indicas [blue] on the way to Daman on Saturday. Cud be the same one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ July 12 2004,13:17)]the worst accident that happened to a friend of my moms , he was abt 120 kmph in the overtaking lane coming to bombay.....in the evening ( dusk ). and as he goes around a turn he goes bang into a stationery indica ( in the overtaking lane) .

the car was there becoz the occupants were on the green grass in the space on the divider enjoying the breeze !!!

[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]
i can only imagine wat wud have happened to me if my zen had hit that indica.i am always doing 120-140 on the xpressway.
but i always make it a pt to go on the right lane only when i have to overtake.otherwise i am always on the middle lane.
feel so sorry for the palio guy.
and wat use of having a verbal.the damage has been done .
satya

yeesh, I never do anything over 110 even on an excellent road like the Chennai Bangalore GQ highway ... (Optra 1.8 or Corsa 1.4) because the road has a bunch of curves, and even in the daytime, you cannot always see what might be headed in your direction in the wrong lane

Everytime I am on this road, I try to keep a count of vehicles driving in the overtaking lane on the wrong side...

On my last Bangalore trip, the number was 21! That too excluding bikes & cycles...
This figure includes Tractors, bullock carts, Trucks and even one Car (a old battered Zen)

In fact everytime I approach a curve on this road, I slow down and move to the middle lane because at least on 1 curve of 5, I encounter a vehicle coming from the wrong side :p

The most ironical incident from my last trip was this...
Between Krishnagiri and Ranipet, the road goes up on an incline befor a bridge so you really can't see what's on the bridge...

I was overtaking a slow moving Indica from the overtaking lane, and I realized I cannot see what lies ahead on the bridge, so slowed down and tailed back behind the Indica....

As I had half expected, there indeed was a vehicle driving in the wrong side on the overtaking lane...And what was this vehicle?

It was a accident tow- away vehicle trying to tow a crashed Indica and had decided to tow it away on the wrong side :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey,

Rauls post just reminded me of this number i have saved on my phone (i suggest you do the same)
Mumbai-Pune Expressway emergency - +91 98224 98224
I had taken this number down more than a year ago, so if someone would like to check if it is still the correct number please do so and let us know.

Drive safe,
R

Updated expressway emergency number..Not sure if its an additional number or a new one:

+ 91 98334 98334

Most people on this thread have mention their speed in higher up in three digits. Allowable speed on Mumbai - Pune express highway or for that matter any express in India is 100 KM per hour. Now if BHPans don't respect traffic rules, how could you guys expect poor Indica or Sumo or truck drivers to adhere the same? Rather than poining fingures at others, one should lead by example.

PS: In UK, max allowable speed on similar express highway is 70 Miles =~ 112.65408 KM per hour. Don't you guys think driving at the speed of 180 KMPH our road that too filled with outdated low torque and overloaded truck is indeed asking for trouble? Guys, you need to do introspection... Please watch out next time, for the sake of your and others loved ones.