Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia now offers iMT in all diesel & turbo-petrol variants | 2023 Sonet, Seltos & Carens

Kia has made major changes pertaining to its Intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT) offerings. The clutchless manual gearbox is now standard across all diesel variants of the Sonet, Carens and Seltos. It is also available on the turbo-petrol variants, starting April 1, 2023.

Kia now offers iMT in all diesel & turbo-petrol variants | 2023 Sonet, Seltos & Carens-imt.jpg

Kia has updated its 2023 line-up with RDE-compliant petrol and diesel engines. The latter used to be offered with a 6-speed manual, which has been replaced with a 6-speed iMT across all three models. Prices for the Diesel iMT variants start at Rs 9.95 lakh for the Sonet, Rs 12.39 lakh for the Seltos and Rs 12.65 lakh for the Carens.

The 6-speed iMT is also available with Kia’s updated turbo-petrol engines. The Sonet comes with a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine, while the Carens gets a 1.5-litre T-Gdi unit. The Turbo-petrol iMT variants are priced from Rs 10.49 lakh and Rs 12.00 lakh (ex-showroom), respectively.

Kia now offers iMT in all diesel & turbo-petrol variants | 2023 Sonet, Seltos & Carens-screenshot-20230403-130838.jpg

Kia now offers iMT in all diesel & turbo-petrol variants | 2023 Sonet, Seltos & Carens-screenshot-20230403-130854.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd April 2023 at 13:13.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia now offers iMT in all diesel & turbo-petrol variants | 2023 Sonet, Seltos & Carens

Looks like Kia is grooming its customers for an AT-only future line up. Removing manual is a risky move. But then if anyone can pull it off, it is Hyundai-Kia. Their customers are people who are looking for features and may not mind this.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:06   #3
BHPian

Re: Kia now offers iMT in all diesel & turbo-petrol variants | 2023 Sonet, Seltos & Carens

Based on my multiple test drives in the city and general feedback, I genuinely believe iMT is the best way forward for all cars that will spend 60%+ time in tier-1 city roads. IMO it offers best of both worlds (MT vs AT) and addresses the real world pain point (the left leg clutch) while avoiding the clunkiness of poorly implemented AMTs and retaining the reliability and efficiency of the MT.
The hardcore enthusiasts, 0-100 numbers minded folks and predominantly highway biased users would probably stay away from iMT but I see a win for most other scenarios, especially with Hyundai-Kia's well implemented iMTs

Last edited by Game_of_Roads : 3rd April 2023 at 14:08.
Game_of_Roads is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a great move, I've taken a short ride in the iMT before I got delivery of my Sonet DAT, its the perfect compromise. Those who have a fetish for knee damage can buy whatever diesel is available, in crawling traffic, no user, enthusiast or otherwise is going to enjoy a heavy diesel clutch.

Kia is on the right track, most buyers want a stress free drive, at a small markup iMT is a huge convenience.
avira_tk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
The hardcore enthusiasts, 0-100 numbers minded folks and predominantly highway biased users would probably stay away from iMT but I see a win for most other scenarios, especially with Hyundai-Kia's well implemented iMTs
Even these folks should not crib about iMT as long as they aren't involved in daily drag races. Engine is peppy enough, and IMO the gearbox is faster shifting than some of the dcts
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

I personally hate the IMT. It removes the fine control of the engine and vehicle the clutch gives you, while still forcing you to provide manual inputs for gear selection which the gearbox executes as per its convenience.

In the absence of a full auto mode, I dont see whats so great about it.
greenhorn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I personally hate the IMT. It removes the fine control of the engine and vehicle the clutch gives you, while still forcing you to provide manual inputs for gear selection which the gearbox executes as per its convenience.

In the absence of a full auto mode, I dont see whats so great about it.
I have a iMT. Gearbox does not execute as per it's convenience. I find the shifts pretty quick. Sure it's not as quick as a MT, but way quicker than many AMT/CVT/AT/DCTs out there. My left leg relaxes in traffic is another bonus, and the gearshift being pinky finger light is cherry on the top. With cruise control on divided highways, I am able to engage in one pedal drive (brake), for 90% of the time. All this with IMO the best reliability and affordability, iMT is a great godsend.

Last edited by 07CR : 3rd April 2023 at 17:30.
07CR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would say it's a master stroke to silently hike the price, with the deletion of the clutch pedal they hiked the price by a good 70-90k. There was a time when a full unit of AMT could have been plonked for much lesser difference.

AMT's are much better off than the iMT's, those interested to take control of the gears could use the 'manual' mode in AMT's. Also, the recent addition of Hill hold assist as standard in many cars, the issue of rolling back is sorted with AMT's. Wonder what is stopping Kia to use them, as they are already available with some Hyundai engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I have a iMT. Gearbox does not execute as per it's convenience. I find the shifts pretty quick.
Query. Does the clutch get (dis)engaged based on our hand's weight on the gear lever? On a regular manual, a heavy resting hand on the gear lever can toast the gearbox, wonder how it is with the iMT.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Query. Does the clutch get (dis)engaged based on our hand's weight on the gear lever? On a regular manual, a heavy resting hand on the gear lever can toast the gearbox, wonder how it is with the iMT.
As per my conversation with Kia service technician, a resting hand has no impact on the gearbox or clutch. However, whenever there is a slight tug on the gearbox, the clutch lever gets engaged, as if the car understands that I want to shift.

So in short, resting hand- No Impact. Push/Pull on the gear, results in clutch action.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 08:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean that only non-turbo petrol cars from Kia come with a manual gearbox and other cars, i.e. turbo-petrol and diesel powered, are either IMT or automatic now? The opening post is not very clear.
Old 4th April 2023, 09:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see the price difference b/w equivalent Petrol and Diesel variants in Carens is about 60k, and for Sonet its 80-90k.

I think this is a great move by KIA. Also reinforces their faith in iMT as a future transmission technology.

An iMT gearbox is useful in most of real life use cases, namely city B2B driving or highway cruising. It gives the flexibility of gear change based on need with lesser effort. For those interested in drag racing or have an emotional attachment to manual clutch transmissions, they may need to look elsewhere.

I drive a KIA Sonet iMT and believe me, in my city to city driving my left leg thanks me. The drive is stress free. Only a fully automatic gearbox could be better than this, but due to questions around long term reliability of a non TC box, this is the next best option.

I doubt FE in an iMT takes any major hit compared to manual. Mileage will still be better than a fully auto gearbox. Since the technology is as simple as a manual clutch, in my estimate, long term expenses would be at par with manual.
I will never go back to a manual transmission ever.

Last edited by hrman : 4th April 2023 at 09:43.
hrman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 09:41   #12
BHPian

Evo India has a great primer on how the iMT gearbox works

TejasKinger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 19:57   #13
BHPian

I personally think this is a wonderful move by Kia, in a world where manuals are increasingly looked down up and as a die-hard manual fan, I can appreciate when a company is taking some effort to keep them alive instead of chucking them in the bin.

Even though an iMT isn't a true manual, we can't have the cake and eat it aswell, now can we.
Old 5th April 2023, 20:55   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Great move by Kia.

This is one technology where Hyundai and Kia have a lead on the others, just like Maruti/Toyota have a head start with strong hybrid tech. These technologies are major shifts, once the technologies become cheaper due to mass production and the average driver discovers the favourable cost/benefit equation, the products with these technologies will dominate the market and other manufacturers will struggle to catch up. It will take them a while to develop, test and commercialize the new tech, by which time, the innovator can garner a dominant market share.

However unlike strong hybrids, the price premium is quite small for the iMT and I see this upsetting the basic MT space very fast.
Old 5th April 2023, 21:45   #15
BHPian

I bought literally the first batch of iMT in India while we got the sonet home (was among the first few folks who got sonet delivered in first batch).
There was a huge confusion if I should go for iMT or not with the DCT's going kaput in heavy traffic back then, it was either taking a gamble on DCT for the fully kitted variant breaching my budget by 2~3 lakhs with nervousness of DCT's reliability vs getting a NA petrol with manual shift or the peppy turbo with iMT.

Took a plunge and have not looked back, ease to drive in city, good control compared to the AMT's when it comes to overtaking on highways, takes away anxiousness in hills give much better control compared to AMT's and no jerks while shifting up/down.

All in all it's a good option and I'm glad that it worked the way they had told me it would. I have another manual for my hard core driving needs, but iMT is great route to get the better of both the worlds.

My iMT variant does not have hill hold/assist and it does get tricky in few situations to wing it, but nothing that a handbrake assist cannot handle.

This is a view for a car which spends 80% of it time in a city and 20% of trips and even the trips that we take in this car by no means are away from tarmac or into off road zone. It has seen mild off-road sections (no tarmacs, make shift roads, covered with leaves, small stream crossings etc.) and it certainly slips and does not inspire confidence as much as a manual can, but nevertheless it can pull way much more easily and better than an AMT. (comparing it to the celerio's AMT which I have driven quite extensively as well)
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks