View Poll Results: Usage
No, I hardly use third row for accommodating people. 197 54.27%
It’s a mixed bag, let’s call it 50/50 118 32.51%
Yes, I regularly use third row for accommodating people. 48 13.22%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2023, 10:55   #16
BHPian

Re: 3-Row SUV & MPV owners | How frequently do you use the 3rd row?

The third-row on mine is not used often, may be once a month for short trips. But it is worth it for those occasions. The bigger luggage space available with third-row folded is used very very often. This flexibility is why I chose a 7-seater.
Same reason to choose AWD - with 10 years of ownership never know how often it might be needed in future

3-Row SUV & MPV owners | How frequently do you use the 3rd row?-img_5246.jpg
gnome is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 10:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

When going on a day picnic, all 7 seats are being used. When going on a vacation, last row gets folded into cargo bay. Most days, it is folded for the space and utilized when needed.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Safari Storme: Storme was essentially a 5 seater. Not used the last row seats in 6.5 years of ownership except once when kids (mine and friend's) wanted to have fun sitting in last row while going for dinner.

Hexa: We have used third row multiple times whenever we go out with friends for lunch/dinner/shopping/local site seeing.
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 11:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

This was a conversation me and my 11 year old were having today. We both like the scorpio N, however we are a family of 3 and occasionally we will be 5 (parents/in laws) and very rarely more than 5. I am not sure if we need a 7 seater (no captain seats for me) and hence undecided on booking and then waiting on a scorpio n. While the last row can be folded and used for cargo, my concern is that any luggage left there, if it moves around or rattles, the noise filters down to the cabin, which is pretty much not the case in a 5 seater with a separate boot. How do you all deal with this?
Old 21st April 2023, 11:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Had a 3 Row KIA Sorento for the last 5.5 yrs. 3rd row was opened only 5 time. 1st time to check the size of seats in the 3rd row when I bought the car and rest of the times only to clean that space.

That's it.

However, the space that got liberated by folding it down was quite huge and usable and what I needed for my usage.

When time came to replace the KIA Sorento, I started to think about the benefits of having the option of a 3rd row for those once in a blue moon need to ferry 2 more people and considered a 3 row Ford Explorer.

In the end, Sense prevailed. The Sorento was replaced by a 5 seater SUV.
14000rpm is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 12:11   #21
BHPian

7 seats? I rarely get to use the back seats of my cars. We had a Honda Mobilio RS in the garage between 2015-18 which we bought to accommodate guests when they were visiting us but the car was fully occupied for maybe 2 times a year.

Nowadays, since both me and my dad can drive when the need arises, we take two cars or use an Innova.

However, many 7 seaters like the Fortuner, Kodiaq or a X7 come with many desirable traits other than their seating capacity. The seats are just a boon if you need to use them in a pinch.
revsperminute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 12:49   #22
BHPian

It is all about 'flexibility' the 3-row cars offer.

We had the Ertiga for 10 years, out of which the 3rd row seats were used 4-5 times a year. But the flexibility it offered in carrying stuff whenever needed and have 6/7 passengers for a short distance within city, is what we like to have. Used the Ertiga for shifting houses twice with folding 2nd & 3rd row seats flat.
With a 3-row car, we could enjoy travelling all together on long trips and need not split the group in 2 cars.
Now enjoying the Carens in similar way. Once you get used to a 3-row car, you will be reluctant to go back to a smaller car unless absolutely necessary.
These 3 row cars are a boon to those who like to carry their world with them.
Knightrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 16:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Had a 3 Row KIA Sorento for the last 5.5 yrs. 3rd row was opened only 5 time. 1st time to check the size of seats in the 3rd row when I bought the car and rest of the times only to clean that space.

That's it.

However, the space that got liberated by folding it down was quite huge and usable and what I needed for my usage.

When time came to replace the KIA Sorento, I started to think about the benefits of having the option of a 3rd row for those once in a blue moon need to ferry 2 more people and considered a 3 row Ford Explorer.

In the end, Sense prevailed. The Sorento was replaced by a 5 seater SUV.
I had a 3 row car for 3 years and used the 3rd row only once.
Sure it gives flexibility for occasional use but would go with the thumb rule to get a car that meets 90% of the requirement, not 10%.
It also seems that 3rd row ends up compromising the 2nd row space, such as the Alcazar, and also I hear to some extent for Hycross,where you may not be able to push back the 2nd row captain seat fully if 3rd row is in use.
Luggage space is important, though with all seats in use the 3 row car will suffer, and if more luggage space is required, you should be able to fold down the rear seat in a five seater and make do, though I agree the rear bench seat in a five seater is best for 2 adults only, unless it is a short ride.
Old 22nd April 2023, 17:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Have used the third row of the Tiguan Allspace about 4-5 times in 2+ years and 25000 km. The third row for us just happened to be there. Don’t think there is any car in India with a usable third row other than the Carnival or an Innova Crysta push comes to shove. The Tiguan’s third row is too small even for a 8 year old - even if my 5’11 son has gamely stepped in on a few occasions.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 20:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
H Don’t think there is any car in India with a usable third row other than the Carnival or an Innova Crysta push comes to shove.
True - a very usable third row with a fairly large boot is Carnival's USP.

To answer OP's question, I use the third row very frequently - I think almost every time the Carnival is used. We are three adults and two kids (9 years & 4 years) and the kids are always seated in the last row.

Below is a pic I took from our road trip yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
3-Row SUV & MPV owners | How frequently do you use the 3rd row?-whatsapp-image-20230422-19.52.40.jpeg  

rrsteer is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 20:40   #26
BHPian

It is not about how many times but what is the advantage of having that option.
In the last year we made 2 trips - 1 with my parents and sister and 1 with my in-laws. In both cases the 3rd row was vital. If we did not have that, the trip would not have been possible.

Similarly, in the recent trip to Gujarat, my BIL could not take leave, but my SIL and nieces accompanied us for a road trip. My kids obviously enjoyed the trip a lot more with their cousins being there.

Voted 50-50.

Incidentally I feel exactly the same with 4x4. I may have used it less than 10 times in 9 years, but each of them was a memory or a convenience I would not do without (like driving on a mountain stream in a washed out road, reversing up an extremely sharp angle).

Last edited by chinkara : 22nd April 2023 at 20:40. Reason: Typo
chinkara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 23:12   #27
BHPian

Voted for regular use.
We upgraded from a Zen to an Innova. I remember times in the 90's and 2000's when the 5 seater zen was turned into a tempo traveller with almost every cousin i had crammed in for short distance travel. Having the only car in the extended family had it's repercussions.
When time came to upgrade, dad was set on Mobilio but me and mom put our foot down and were adamant on the Innova. The carrot of me and sister getting married and, 4 becoming more, was dangled and dad was successfully trapped(pity the poor middle class dad's and their ocd to fulfill their families future needs)

Innova comes in and sister gets married in a year. The 3rd row seat became my throne as dad and sister get car sick, mom fought for that captain seat and brother-in-law is guest of honor and atithi devo bhavo states thou shalt not seat a guest in 3rd row

My Rapid came in after 2 years, and then i get married in a year. (What's up with this people getting married within a year of buying a car in my family lol)
Now every family outing, short or long is all 3 rows full. Despite the comfort of 2 cars, i suffer in silence on the bumpy ride of the 3rd row throne of mine(except at night rides when yours truly is the Al-capitan)

3rd row is a blessing for all big and close knit families regardless of occasion.

P.s. suggested an Ertiga to my Father-in-law, who was set on the Tigor, with the same carrot strategy as above. Carrot wins again and my wife thanks me every time their family goes on outstation trips fully loaded.
PrasadS is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 09:44   #28
BHPian

My XUV700 is 8 months old, and the plastic covers over the last row haven't even been taken off yet. In the XUV500 I had earlier, we used the last row 2 times in 8 years.
Old 23rd April 2023, 09:59   #29
BHPian

I have a Mahindra Marazzo M8 with captain seats in the middle row. We are a family of five, including myself, my wife, and three kids. The second child usually sits in the third row. When my parents or in-laws visit (which happens often), the extra seating becomes incredibly useful. The Marazzo's third row is very spacious and comfortable, even for an adult. The roof-mounted AC provides a cooling effect for passengers in the second and third rows. When there are fewer people, my mother-in-law prefers to sit in the third row and stretch her legs over the folded second-row seat.
The third row's versatility provides immense cargo space, as I recently discovered when I moved houses and used the full potential of folding the third and second-row seats in various ways.
Bonemechanic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 10:44   #30
BHPian

I have XUV 500W8

I use it 50% of time to carry my team in my "Bhag" to attend various "Baithaks".

3rd row versatility in XUV which has 50/50 split, is very useful in accomodating people as well as luggage.

Independent AC outlet is very helpful too in Mumbai's weather.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks