Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will the 2023 Hyundai Verna outsell the Honda City?
Yes 223 49.78%
No 225 50.22%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2023, 11:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Will the 2023 Hyundai Verna outsell the Honda City?

Voted Yes.

Having owned BRV ( 1.5 CVT, same powertrain as the City) and extensively test driven the City, I went ahead with the Verna 1.5 Turbo DCT . Just finished a cross country trip with it and I second GTO and other members' views here - great interiors, space, ride and suspension and the big advantage over City - the engine gearbox combo. The turbo is explosive and the gearbox smooth. ( would have probably gone for Virtus GT but for AC, power window issues, inconsistent quality and ASS)
Even the Verna 1.5 NA IVT felt smoother/ less rubber band effect and sounded much sweeter than the 1.5 CVT of the City.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 14th May 2023 at 11:48. Reason: Formatting, Additional text
FAIAAA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

One significant thing has changed from previous iterations in the Verna: rear space.

City was the king of space in the segment. The Verna now not only has a powertrain advantage (the 1.5 NA CVT is comparable to the Honda powertrain, the 1.5 TGDi DCT is another beast altogether), but also has a cabin to compete with the City. Neither car is a looker in its current gen, IMO, so that aspect's a wash.

If Honda don't step up their game at the next facelift/refresh, the traditional 'catch-up & get back ahead' may not happen this time.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:52   #18
BHPian

While Verna is a power packed product from Hyundai and will attract young buyers, Honda City is a tried and tested no-nonsense car. Though there is no turbo engine offered, City facelift with redesigned bumpers, added ADAS looks sporty (far behind Virtus & Slavia though) and has nothing to complain about. i-Vtec NA engine is butter smooth and powerful for 95% of the users. This may tilt the long term volumes in favor of City.

Last edited by AravBS : 14th May 2023 at 11:54. Reason: text additon
AravBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:57   #19

The City is a product of decades of refined engineering. I own the 2007 Hyundai Verna as well as the 5th generation honda city. The City's behind on tech compared to its competitors but that engine has just gotten better over time to a point where it's bulletproof Today.

The verna is a head turner (only for now). Any new car that enters the market is a head turner for quite some time. The mg hector was one, so was the thar as well as the XUV700. overtime, they've looked ordinary because every 3rd or 4th household has one. Hyundai has come a long way and they're only getting better with time, despite taking the Indian market for granted. Only time will tell if newer version of Hyundai/Kia's are as reliable as their Japanese competitors.
Ishaankhndelwl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 12:52   #20
BHPian

Voted No.

Nothing beats the City when it comes to engine responsiveness, space and comfort. It continues to dominate the segment and shall overcome adversaries, just as it has been doing for past many years.
Old 14th May 2023, 12:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Voted No.

Nothing beats the City when it comes to engine responsiveness, space and comfort. It continues to dominate the segment and shall overcome adversaries, just as it has been doing for past many years.
Hope you have driven New Verna Turbo before you pass a statement on Honda Citys superior engine responsiveness.
gck_tourer is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 17:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Voted No.

Engine Responsiveness?

It's the dullest engine in the segment..
Old 14th May 2023, 17:18   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gck_tourer View Post
Hope you have driven New Verna Turbo before you pass a statement on Honda Citys superior engine responsiveness.
Mate hope you know a turbo engine can't match the responsiveness of the throttle as compared to the NA motors. One of the reasons why Gordon Murray has a NA engine on his cars.

The 1.5 Turbo will outdrag the city, yes. Is it responsive like any NA engine? No.
Naparajito is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 20:29   #24
BHPian

Newer Verna is good but the older one 2011 fluidic design was the best according to me.
I personally feel Honda City is a better looking car and it's name is still enough to outsell Hyundai in the long run. Obviously people are worried about Honda's future in India and Hyundai will try it's best to use that point while selling newer Verna.

I have not driven the newer Verna but Honda's naturally aspirated engine still holds lot of value in sedan car market and many people even today go and buy city when they want to buy a sedan.
According to me, apart from some enthusiasts who know car and engines well, others would always consider Honda City as an epitome of comfort and prestige in India and no Verna or Slavia can come close to it; saying this from personal experience of discussions with people.
Draunzer21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 20:41   #25
BANNED

Guys,
I'm a owner of the pre facelift current gen city so I may be slightly biased.
Recently drove a colleague's Verna Turbo Manual for over 150kms last weekend.

I would say City is a better car overall.
Yes, just outright power is quite a lot more in the Verna but never for a moment will you feel that the City is under powered even when fully loaded.
City has atleast 1.5x better driving dynamics than the Verna. No doubt. City is a planted car. Verna is still like a boat to drive.

Got a chance to have a look at the facelifted City recently and will the new LEDs all throughout, new bumpers and diffuser - she is gorgeous from every angle.

I'm 28 and I feel Verna is just too, for the lack of a better word, gimmicky in my opinion.

If I want a fast sedan today, I would take a Virtus GT Manual.
However, if I want a complete sedan, it would be City.

Last edited by bhphog : 14th May 2023 at 20:44.
bhphog is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 22:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Mate hope you know a turbo engine can't match the responsiveness of the throttle as compared to the NA motors. One of the reasons why Gordon Murray has a NA engine on his cars.

The 1.5 Turbo will outdrag the city, yes. Is it responsive like any NA engine? No.
Can you please tell us what is responsiveness and how NA engines are superior to turbos in the aspect?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th May 2023 at 21:26. Reason: Removing the unwanted bit.
Old 14th May 2023, 22:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Voted No.

Quite frankly I find City CVT really boring and sometimes annoying because of the rubber band effect.
On the other hand Hyundai's IVT is smoother in my opinion.
And lets not even compare the 1.5 turbo with VTEC.
blueather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 22:38   #28
BHPian

Not in long term. Maybe it will outsell City for first few months. It’s also mentioned by experts in previous comments that if you look at history, you will find Verna outsold City few times but not in long term. City emerged as winner after initial rush or excitement regarding Verna settled down.
For me, if I want a sensible sedan, I’ll always pick City over anything else in this price range. If I want performance, then VW Virtus.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 23:00   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

If past performance is any indicator, City would grab the segment leader title soon. A large portion of the car buying population still does not give a damn about turbo or NA engine and to most of them, City is THE dream sedan. However, I’m noticing an increasing trend for Verna among the tech crowd in Bangalore (noticed 3 new cars in our office’s parking space already, in comparison I’ve seen a total of 3 City gen 5 so far)
shibulijack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 23:12   #30
BHPian

I think it’ll do well but won’t beat the City. The City has become a brand by itself. We’re talking a decade of being the definitive C segment sedan. The Verna still has nowhere close to the pull that the City does. Hyundai can only dream of the kind of loyalty that Honda has inspired, the 4th gen debacle not withstanding. Having said that Hyundai have done a heck of a job with the Verna but they’re going to have to keep at it for atleast a few more generations to dethrone the king. Until then they’ll be a close number 2.

Last edited by Iyencar : 14th May 2023 at 23:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks