Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2004, 16:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

This is a kinda weird post.... Anyone know how does one go about certifying a self built car from the RTO and the insurance companies.... I havent heard of this in India, if anyone has please do update me on the process.
Old 27th July 2004, 17:02   #2
Tom
BHPian

exactly what "certification" are you looking for?
Old 27th July 2004, 17:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tom,

Assuming I go ahead and build a car from scavenged parts (Like a HotRod)
instead of a fully built car being modded (Like the way DC does), how do I get it certified, get a number and insurance coverage for the vehicle.

To be more precise assume I build a custom chasis, body and then plonk a V8 powerplant into it get it to finished state with the emissions being within certified limits how do I register the same with the RTO & Insurance to drive it around town?
Old 27th July 2004, 17:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Tom @ July 27 2004,15:32)]exactly what "certification" are you looking for?
Whatever it needs to make the car road legal!! Am I right Psycho?
Old 27th July 2004, 17:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ July 27 2004,15:41)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Tom @ July 27 2004,15:32)]exactly what "certification" are you looking for?
Whatever it needs to make the car road legal!! Am I right Psycho?
Perfect
Old 27th July 2004, 17:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

i guess its possible.. one problem area that comes to mind if u r bulding a car from scartch is going to be the crash test worthiness.. ie if they insist on that..

i would advice to go check with RTO direct (not through middle men).. usually for other mods it used to be paying fees, doing the mod, getting it vitaed by RTO after mod and then entry in the RC book..
Old 27th July 2004, 20:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

How much would it approximately cost, guys...for the whole process getting a modded car to be certified??

Old 28th July 2004, 00:44   #8
BHPian

hey psycho,
as per my knowledge, it is easier to get a car certified if u use an existing registered chassis(thats what the guys at chinkara do, using a standard herald chassis thats already certified by the rto).
As far as the engine goes, u are allowed to plonk in an engine after doing the necessary paperwork as long as it uses the same kinda fuel(i.e. petrol for a petrol registered car and so too the case for a diesel).
You are not allowed to make modification to the base chassis(the wheelbase) without prior permission if im not wrong.
The insurance agents have their own valuation methods on making a book value of a self made car(so it all depends on how well u can talk them into valuing it well :P )
lotsa other stuff, if u need anymore specific info, lemme know and ill see if i can help you out.
Salil
Old 28th July 2004, 12:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip Salil shall dig a lil deeper here at the RTO and see what I can find.

But the rule is really weird if you can use a certified chasis and also plonk any engine on that it means that a guy is allowed to put almost any engine on that hearald chasis... Damn that beats the whole logic as for a more powerful car you would need a better chasis to handle the torque and not twist, not to mention the suspension capabilities of that chasis. This rule makes it sound like the Kit Car concept of being able to add a body on to an existing car without having to upgrade...
Old 28th July 2004, 13:09   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Doesnt the car need to be homologated or tested or certified by ARAI if it is being built on a custom chassis??? Or even if the chassis is modded??
Also isnt it illegal to modify the chassis??

Wonder how DC could stretch so many cars?? Are they safe??? Dont they need to be tested for safety?? I remember DC couldnt sell one of his cars based on the M800 cos he modded it as a mid-engined car.
Old 28th July 2004, 14:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

mid engined 800 ..hmm
any more details
Old 28th July 2004, 18:59   #12
BHPian

The use of the standard herald chassis was just an example psycho. u can use any certified chassis. and as long as the chassis and engines are from the list already homologated in india once, u dont need to undergo homologation again and the same goes for crash testing. cos as far as the rule from the ARAI goes, for a production run of 150 or less on a certified chassis, you dont need to homologate a car again.

The mid engined 800 was not passed by the ARAI as 1st of all dc wasnt sure of what engine to use, when i saw it, it was using a gypsy 1.3 unit. and he didnt make that car for the indian market at all, he wanted to showcase his skills to companies around europe and america by making the small car. A couple of reasons more for not being able to run that car maybe, that he altered with the existing dimensions of the chassis by cutting if short and that front a front engined machine, he changed it to a mid engined one(which if not wrong is not allowed).

A chassis can always be strengthened by using braces to handle more power, and what engines can be used also depends on how well you can handle the RTO people to get it certified in the end. An older v8 like u were planning might not be accepted at all, as it wont pass the necessary emmission norms.
Let me know if u need any more help with your project, id be glad to help. Which city are u from?
Old 10th February 2024, 11:56   #13
BHPian

Re: RTO's And Rules

Fellow BHPians, any idea if a ten year old BS4 petrol Grand i10 with Calcutta registration (WB 08) can be re-registered in Mumbai after getting an NOC from the Calcutta RTO? Are there any rules one needs to be aware of?

Most Viewed