Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2004, 01:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

So finally Skoda think that their existing line-up is too plain jane, and so they've launched the Rider. Effectively a "brightened up" Octavia with a silver lined interior door and dashboard trim, a new arm-rest for the front passengers and new seat trimmings as well as new wheel-caps.

Well thats great news, but whats not great is the supposed increase in price. For Rs. 11.92 lakhs on-road Mumbai, it just has become more expensive to buy. At a price touching Rs. 12 lakhs, Skoda has probably lost the plot. With their competitors trying to go downwards, Skoda thinks going upward makes sense. Oh yea?

Look at the competition! Toyota Corolla still manages an upwards of 900 units a month in sales, Chevrolet Optra 800+ while new entrant Elantra is already doing 700+. But Skoda is languishing at 400+. With more than 90% of those being Diesels. And Skoda probably needs to be awakened to the threat that the Elantra diesel poses to it. Effectively better loaded, with more space, a more powerful engine and nearly equally fuel-efficient, the car has potential to wipe out even this monopoly that Skoda was resting on.

So what's Skoda really doing wrong? At 11.92 lakhs, they shud consider giving alloys and ABS as well. C'mon, they can do that now since they now have gone into CKDs and thats saving them considerable duties. Secondly, buck up with ur service setup. Highly priced spares and labour charges are already deterring people, a poor service setup is even worse. After spending 6 years of "trying to understand" the Indian market before jumping in, i really think Skoda hasn't learnt all its lessons.

So whaddya think? Is Skoda sincere to the Indian market or is there a possibility that the same management issues that afflicted Fiat for so many years see a repeat in Skoda? Post in.

Revv

Old 31st July 2004, 01:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]silver lined interior door and dashboard trim, a new arm-rest for the front passengers and new seat trimmings as well as new wheel-caps.
Thats hardly a brightening up exercise, Revv. It reminds me of the Premier day when they would launch a 118 NE with black door handles (instead of chrome) and different wheelcaps....with a new name!

But honestly, Skoda had to increase its prices - Just like all other car makers after the budget. What hit them even further is the 2% environment levy (for diesel vehicles). Well, you gotta credit them...while other car makers only increased the prices, they added some frivolities too.

Rider apart, Skoda ought to get the new Octavia in real soon. Its commanding a premium price but competition has surely caught up. As you mentioned, the Corolla has been a massive hit (I presume the back seat would have been one contributor)...but its the diesel Elantra thats eating into the Octi sales too.

GTO
Old 31st July 2004, 01:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]What hit them even further is the 2% environment levy (for diesel vehicles).
Wasn't it the education cess that hit em rather than the environment levy?? If its the environment levy then it makes no sense since they all do comply to Euro-II norms set by the government, rather pointless levy i suppose.

Revv
Old 31st July 2004, 01:57   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Wasn't it the education cess that hit em rather than the environment levy?? If its the environment levy then it makes no sense since they all do comply to Euro-II norms set by the government, rather pointless levy i suppose.
Education hit 'em all. In addition, diesel cars have been burdened with a 2% enviro tax. Euro-II or not

GTO
Old 31st July 2004, 02:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

I saw the new Rider during my Superb test drive and they could have put in a few more frills for the price and I mean alloys instead of advertising about new wheel caps. Even Rider on the side is just a sticker. Visually nothing to distingish the Rider from the other variants.

Rider not happening IMO

Dippy
Old 31st July 2004, 18:55   #6

I did a test-drive of Rider. Very little difference in interiors. They should have done something for Back seat which is still uncomfortable.

Understand one can get pretty hefty discount on Petrol version.
Old 31st July 2004, 22:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]They should have done something for Back seat which is still uncomfortable.
I think the back seat issue will be addressed in the new Octavia.

Dippy
Old 31st July 2004, 22:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey they also stopped making the car in green colour, and out comes a new colour: guess what???

GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,

think they started it specially for the south market lol!!!!!! you must see the no of gold lancers and accents in hyd , vizag,and chennai!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks