Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2023, 11:33   #16
BHPian

Re: MORTH issues guidelines for DL, RC without chip or Smart card

I didn't get any print from my license-issuing RTA in Andhra Pradesh. When I inquired, I found out that they haven't issued physical cards or printouts for over 18 months. An agent I contacted said I could use the DL printout from the Vahan website or the one available through Digi Locker.

I was skeptical about whether I need to show the smart or PVC card in certain situations, like claiming insurance, etc. But I was relieved when I clicked the picture of the DL printout I got from the Vahan website for claiming insurance with Acko, and it got approved smoothly.
Old 28th July 2023, 12:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
(Strangely) MORTH has issued guidelines to the State RTOs for issuing Driving License and Registration certification cards without any chip or smart card. it should be a laminated card for sure. Is this correct or am I interpreting it wrongly. If its true, why would the govt take up such a step?

If anyone has got their DL or RC recently can you confirm if the card is without any chip?
Got RC of my Jimny registered in Delhi last week. It came without any chip. Has details printed on both sides with a large QR code.
Old 28th July 2023, 12:24   #18
BHPian

Off Topic :
My car is registered in Andhra Pradesh and we don't know what is RC card. I'm not sure when was the last RC card was despatched to vehicle owners.
Altrozed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 12:29   #19
BHPian

Delhi Police has swipe machines for checking details of your card. Very strange to see this ruling - chip cards were all the vogue sometime back.
Old 28th July 2023, 15:02   #20
BHPian

Maybe off-topic, earlier this week, my son had to appear for his driving test in Bangalore. We opted to go Direct instead of a driving school. First that meant a very long wait (the whole morning was used up to test about 8-10 people who came for their driving test, it clearly seemed to be done by design to dissuade people to apply direct) and secondly only for those applying direct, you have to produce original RC, Insurance and PUC certificate for your vehicle. When I mentioned that I have the RC on my DigiLocker, it took a few internal calls and about 15-20 minutes of wait before they agreed to accept the DigiLocker version.
Car_fanatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 16:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinWheels View Post
I wanted to replace my current DL with the chipped one however when I booted up the parivahan site and tried to replace my DL, it showed there is an already existing application. Then I realized that I had raised an application to request for a duplicate DL because lost ago. Eventually I did get back that one so forgot about this request.

Now I am stuck because the site will not let me raise a request for replacement DL without completing the request for duplicate DL. I am thinking will just go ahead with duplicate DL because ultimately duplicate or replacement means the same thing.
You could try to cancel your old application. I could see an option under Others.

MORTH issues guidelines for DL, RC without chip or Smart card-sarathicancel.jpg
Old 28th July 2023, 17:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-stand View Post
I didn't get any print from my license-issuing RTA in Andhra Pradesh. When I inquired, I found out that they haven't issued physical cards or printouts for over 18 months. An agent I contacted said I could use the DL printout from the Vahan website or the one available through Digi Locker.
I had similar experience, when I added LMV to my DL I only got printed A4 sheet. When I asked for physical card I got same reply, although he gave me option for getting the physical card with a chip for extra 300 something. So I paid the amount and received physical card a week later. Also he gave me a heads up that these A4 sheet license won't be accepted in states like Karnataka.
Revvatron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 19:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
You could try to cancel your old application. I could see an option under Others.
You are a lifesaver. Thanks, I was able to cancel it without any issues. Now I can raise a new one for chipped DL.
RollinWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 21:30   #24
BHPian

Came across this article sometime back. Its chip shortage that is causing this decision. Anyways chips were never verified by cops in my experience till date.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.times...w/99392516.cms
Old 28th July 2023, 22:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
(Strangely)

If anyone has got their DL or RC recently can you confirm if the card is without any chip?
I got my DL in karnataka during the month of May. The card had a chip in it
Old 12th January 2024, 00:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have registered a car in Maharashtra recently (end of Nov 2023) and got a RC card which doesn't have a chip in it but a QR code instead, which upon scanning gets all vehicle details from parivahan database.

Can someone who recently did registration in the state confirm this? I just wanted to doublecheck that they are indeed issuing smart cards without chips. By the way, do they have any other kind of electronics in it, like NFC etc. (which I read somewhere in context of RC/DL cards).
Old 12th January 2024, 05:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Can someone who recently did registration in the state confirm this?
I got a Motorcycle in October 2023 (MH-12) and the RC card is a simple laminated card.
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 15:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-stand View Post
I didn't get any print from my license-issuing RTA in Andhra Pradesh.
Here's an update on this: I finally received the Driving Licence card with a QR code printed instead of a chip. I was surprised, as I had no hopes or expectations about getting a card-type DL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks