Team-BHP - Hyundai takes a shot at Toyotas safety
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai takes a shot at Toyotas safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2697-hyundai-takes-shot-toyotas-safety.html)

According to This Economic Times article, its back to the days of advertising war (Remember Hyundai vs Daewoo).

I am with Hyundai on their accusation against Toyota as to why it is not selling the Corolla here in the same safety spec that it does in America. Hyundai claims that its Elantra is feature-packed in exactly the same way that it is in the States. True ( I guess).

The Korean giant goes further by saying that the Camry is sold in India as exactly the same safety spec as it is in America...then why not the Corolla?

Hmmmm....I'd really like to ask Hyundai why they arent offering airbags on the Indian Accent, while the american accent has been equipped with airbags since a couple of years now. Why, even the base model has had airbags since end-2002!!

What was that saying about people living in glass houses and throwing stones?

GTO

I think Hyundai is asking for trouble if they start barking up this tree!! As GTO says, the accent is sold here with a different spec, so Hyundai are lining themselves up for an attack. The article itself states that the Elantra got 3 stars to the optra's 4 star NCAP rating.

Personally, I have no problems with the corolla being sold without airbags. Especially in a country where the concept of wearing seatbelts has yet to take firm ground.

I've seen a bunch of drivers who, once they are out on the highway, simply slide the shoulder strap off and just leave a lap belt! An airbag is the secondary line of protection. If the primary (i.e. seatbelts) protective device is not worn or worn impropely, the result of an airbag going off can have a serious consequence on the passengers.

Again, I'm not defending toyota for not selling the Corolla with airbags, all I'm saying is that to me, and the majority of the Indian car buying public, airbags are just not a USP. All things being equal, I would take the Toyota over the Hyundai every time.

Rtech

Its not always with safety. Hyundais advt tactics are wierd. When Honda launched the new City, Hyundai started comparing the power figure with the NHC, which it wudnt have dared to do with the old City. Also when it comes to comparing specifications and features with competitors, they always exclude the spec which they are low in. Remember seeing lots of these ads in the papers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also when it comes to comparing specifications and features with competitors, they always exclude the spec which they are low in. Remember seeing lots of these ads in the papers.

Like when they compare their own "PS" figures with a competitors "BHP" figures? I hear that Hyundai had to go through some law suits because of mis-leading ads in more developed countries.

GTO

Tomorrow they'll say, "Our cars can accomodate 4 people with ease. Can a Ferrari do so? No! So buy a Hyundai."

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Aditya @ Aug. 03 2004,22:35)]Tomorrow they'll say, "Our cars can accomodate 4 people with ease. Can a Ferrari do so? No! So buy a Hyundai."

;LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY TRUE ADDY!!!, guess they would do this with the hyundai 2 door coupe!!!

but hats off to the guy who does the brochures for hyundai, the sonata v6 brochure reeked quality even when compared to the merc c class one(the envelpoe one with 10 card like pages), all in all it had 20 colour pages in it!

lol
fiat should adopt that strategy ........
btw
the corlla has airbags, no abs....

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Aditya @ Aug. 03 2004,22:35)]Tomorrow they'll say, "Our cars can accomodate 4 people with ease. Can a Ferrari do so? No! So buy a Hyundai."

I remember a print advt where hyundai claimed that the elantra is more powerfull than corolla. 127hp against the corolla's 125.
why does the elantra still take longer to go from 0-100 is something they never said!
It's reasons like this that makes me hate this korean company.
lastly, hyundai will have to keep their mouth shut once toyota talks about VVTI as compared to the boring elantra engine.

hey fellas ,

what will happen when suppose toyota tells hyundai .. their cars are like ulhasnagar ka maal

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (amit @ Aug. 05 2004,15:26)]why does the elantra still take longer to go from 0-100 is something they never said!

Hyundai's have a problem of "over specifying" their cars isn't it?? They recently got sued in the US of A. So i think thats the reason for Elantra being slower to the 100kmph mark.

hy shravan
i guess the cars slower bcoz of engine technology and weight..
the corolla is lighter and has a vvti engine which is somewhat like the vtec engine of honda ......
man i wish i was in charge for the ads of toyota and fiat...
some companies like hyundi and chevrolet will be shitting bricks .......
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (lamborghini @ Aug. 07 2004,00:18)]man i wish i was in charge for the ads of toyota and fiat...
some companies like hyundi and chevrolet will be shitting bricks .......
cheers

When you say in charge, where you want to be? In company's marketing dept or as their advertising agency?
Any which way let us know. Looks like some interesting thoughts you have!!! *

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] 127hp against the corolla's 125.

Correction there. Its 127 PS versus 125 hp. Ok so let's do some math then, shall we. 1 hp = 1.016 PS. A quick division and voila.... 127/1.016= 125. So the question now really is, is Hyundai's calculator wrong or is just a plain "playing around" with words. I think i'll opt for option no.2.

Its ok if Hyundai fairly compare the two, but it isn't so. Remember the old days in 2000 when Hyundai had the cheekiness to compare the Santro with the Indica, Matiz and would u believe it... Ford Ikon 1.3!!! They went on to say that Matiz is less safer than Santro cuz it doesnt have some bars here and there, that the Ford Ikon isn't as spacious since it "isn't a tall boy" and some other crap that made the companies fume like mad. Wanna know a lil' secret? The ads done back then were done by the same agency that's currently handling the Elantra account. A case of history repeating itself? You bet.

Revv

Ok guys, have yo'll seen the new Accent ads that are running on TV these days.

According to them, "Respect comes naturally". So, why in the world do they need to advertise in the first place.

If a Hyundai is respected so much, you can imagine how much "MORE" respect, all the other companies might be getting. LOL

Regards...
Shan2nu