Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 19:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spotted! Possible Sierra replacement!

Today evening, on my way back from Hinjewadi, I happened to see what I believe is a new SWB 2-door SUV from Tata. It looked squarish, even though it was heavily disguised, and I could little slits up front for headlamps. I am sorry I couldnt manage any pics, as it was going in the opposite direction
. But the style of camouflage makes me think it was a Tata. Anybody has any more info on that one? (I couldnt even see the registration no.s).
Old 30th July 2007, 19:19   #2
BHPian

That would be nice. I think that the Sierra was one of the better designed cars in India (barring the getting in/out from the rear seats), with a lot of potential. Unfortunately, let down abysmally by poor electricals and a highly underpowered engine (don't know about the Turbo, but we used to have one of the ealier NA versions).

If TATA can take care of the quality issues and provide some decent power, i think that there is a definite market for a "sporty" SUVish vehicle.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I happened to see what I believe is a new SWB 2-door SUV from Tata.
Hmmm is this the rumoured 2-door Safari ? I always thought it was a wild rumour.

But then there have also been confirmed sightings of a diesel Safari with 2.5 badging too - I wonder what they serve in the TML canteen these days.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:28   #4
BHPian

i dont think that tata motors will bring back sierra now.... you must have seen the new safari as said in the earlier post
Old 30th July 2007, 19:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Any chance of it being an early example of the next generation utility vehicles from Tata...? Time will tell I suppose.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hmmm is this the rumoured 2-door Safari ?
Steer, even with all the camouflage, I could tell that it was not a Safari (variant). It was shorter, and squatter. And was going at a fairly sedate pace, unusual for Tata test vehicles these days, which seem to out-grunt just about everything else on the highway.
Over to you Tushky!
Old 30th July 2007, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

cool find sajo,

guess what, just few minutes ago, I was searching for reviews on Invader!!!

I hope they come out with a good engine, even the old 90bhp TCIC, would do for me but ofcourse if new 2.2 crdi would be a kill.

@tushky, i guess you got a new task up ahead

raj.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

How are you sure it is a Tata?
Old 30th July 2007, 19:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
How are you sure it is a Tata?
Not really, about 50% sure. Because thats their usual testing route/time. And the style of disguising is also pretty similar to the Tata, but that doesnt mean anything.
Anyway, the rear, with the camouflaging looked like a panel van, but only had smallish hole cut out, revealing a glass.
We can anyway use this thread to speculate what it was, cant we?
Old 30th July 2007, 19:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think the styling of the Sierra was very different one.. it stood out among all the other jeeps/SUVs of its time. Would be really nice to see the Sierra ( or other vehicles with similar styling) back on the Indian roads.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We can anyway use this thread to speculate what it was, cant we?
Oh surely! Just wanted to know the boundaries of speculation, whether or not we can safely stick within Tata domain. Could this be something on the Ingenio platform (the mention of the size makes me say that). In anycase did it look like a 4x4?
Old 30th July 2007, 20:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
@tushky, i guess you got a new task up ahead
raj.
so what do we know.. its dressed and does its rounds like a Tata test vehicle. now we are out fishing. over to tushky and his lens..
Old 30th July 2007, 20:38   #13
BHPian

Sierra was our first vehicle after the Premier Padmini FIAT and Standard Herald(Hope I got the spelling right). Just loved that vehicle. There was something different about it. Loved the huge glass when you sat backseat. It was amazing during the monsoons. Also was a very tough vehicle. Really miss it. Planned to ask Mr Ratan Tata at the AGM about the possibility of the Sierra returning. But couldnt make it due to the rains! :( Hope we can get some pics soon.
Old 30th July 2007, 20:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Could this be something on the Ingenio platform (the mention of the size makes me say that). In anycase did it look like a 4x4?
It could possibly be a 4x4 type thing, I cannot be 100% sure. I believe the Ingenio could have a very MUVish stance? Because this one certainly didnt. Although a spin off cannot be ruled out.
Does Tata make one-off vehicles (like say, a covered-bed TL-Sprint) with no intention of building it?
Old 30th July 2007, 20:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It could possibly be a 4x4 type thing, I cannot be 100% sure. I believe the Ingenio could have a very MUVish stance? Because this one certainly didnt. Although a spin off cannot be ruled out.
Does Tata make one-off vehicles (like say, a covered-bed TL-Sprint) with no intention of building it?
Might be that they are trying to build a SWB TL.The foreign markets have a requirement for such SWB 4X4's. TL (even the new one) front is more in tune with the Sierra front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks