Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2023, 19:21   #1
BHPian

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI

Hello all,
I got a chance to test drive the new BMW X5 XDRIVE 30d M Sport SAV today.
I have owned the X1 X drive 20d M sport and have the 530d M sport saloon.
Immediately upon seeing the X5 it feels imposing and big. It’s quiet roomy and cavernous on the inside too. The new 21 inch alloy design is lovely with blue M sport callipers. The split tail gate and boot remains the same as before with 650 litres of space.
Once seated inside, it has a commanding view outside. The M Sport has HUD and heated and cooled seats. It does get noisy when the cooling function is on and at max setting as if someone had a hair dryer behind me

The curved display and I drive 8 is nice but I still prefer the previous split design of my 530d. The I drive 7 is more intuitive and I did find the latest version a bit overwhelming to use. Too many menus and sub menus.

Drive impressions:
Immediately the X5 X drive 30d felt more responsive than my 530d, maybe due to 20 more HP and 30 mre NM of torque. It also could be due to the mild hybrid system with 20hp and 200nm of torque.
All this makes it a hoot to drive, minimal to no lag and very quick off the mark. Surprisingly you don’t feel the bulk of the car and it’s quiet agile and nimble to drive. The steering felt a bit better than 530d and is sharp with good feedback. It’s feels like a much smaller car than it is.
Ride is great due to the air suspension. But my 530d with its adaptive dampers is more than adequate and equally impressive.
Once placed in sport mode, the handling is superb. Feels composed and agile in corners. It’s a bit floaty in comfort in comparison. Body roll is minimal.
Size and practicality :
It is a big SAV. But easy to manoeuvre. The 360 degree camera and parking and reverse assistant does help. I would prefer the X3 as a daily driver though. The X5 will be a tremendous highway tourer and for social events.
Overall I love it.
I am considering this vs the X3 M40i to replace my X1.
BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8437.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8441.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8440.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8438.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8434.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8435.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8429.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8428.jpeg

BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-img_8427.jpeg
XDriver is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 04:17   #2

re: BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI

Yes, this is indeed a superb car.

I got mine (40i M Sport) delivered on 29 July and the last one month has been a pleasure.

Having also had the previous X5, G05 Pre LCi, the difference is noticeable on many fronts.

The cabin is so much quieter than the previous version, not sure how they have managed it, but I'm not complaining!!!

I would definitely recommend it!!
orthopod is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 06:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
Yes, this is indeed a superb car.

I got mine (40i M Sport) delivered on 29 July and the last one month has been a pleasure.

Having also had the previous X5, G05 Pre LCi, the difference is noticeable on many fronts.

The cabin is so much quieter than the previous version, not sure how they have managed it, but I'm not complaining!!!

I would definitely recommend it!!
Thanks Orthopod, what is the real world milage you are getting with the 40i?
Old 28th August 2023, 08:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDriver View Post
Thanks Orthopod, what is the real world milage you are getting with the 40i?
Well, I've been using it for very short runs, so its done only 180km so far, with an avg of about 8km/l

Probably will do better on longer runs.
orthopod is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDriver View Post

The curved display and I drive 8 is nice but I still prefer the previous split design of my 530d. The I drive 7 is more intuitive and I did find the latest version a bit overwhelming to use. Too many menus and sub menus.
Great colour to use as a Test drive vehicle by the dealership, pretty hard to maintain. You are not the only one complaining about iDrive-8. The fix is already on its way and hopefully, we should see the 8.5 soon. There are contrary views about the upgrade of 8 to 8.5 so if that's something bothering anyone, I will suggest holding on for a few weeks/ month until we get new kits which have 8.5 from the factory.

Quote:
Ride is great due to the air suspension. But my 530d with its adaptive dampers is more than adequate and equally impressive.
One thing that bothers me with Air Suspension on BMW models is the kind of "thud" (sort of bottoms out) it makes on larger potholes. To be fair, my benchmark is LC-200, this is not possible on such vehicles, but I find Mercedes suspension far superior. Rather, I now sort of like the previous setup of X5, which had just the rear Air suspension. I don't know how many will agree with me, though.

Quote:
Well, I've been using it for very short runs, so its done only 180km so far, with an avg of about 8km/l

Probably will do better on longer runs.
That's about what is going to stay as average. Local runs can be even lower; I usually get 6-7 in local runs and 8-11 on the highway (largely dependent on the speed) on my 740. These are heavy vehicles, so anyone looking for mileage should definitely pick the Diesel.

Last edited by manson : 28th August 2023 at 18:48. Reason: Typo.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:21   #6
BHPian

Yes I think the standard adaptive suspension is perfectly fine. The air suspension maybe costlier to maintain in long run.
I saw the milage of 9 on MID for the diesel variant I tested.
Am leaning towards petrol due to possible restrictions on diesel post 2027.

Last edited by XDriver : 28th August 2023 at 09:22.
XDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Great colour to use as a Test drive vehicle by the dealership, pretty hard to maintain. You are not the only one complaining about iDrive-8. The fix is already on its way and hopefully, we should see the 8.5 soon. There are contrary views about the upgrade of 8 to 8.5 so if that's something bothering anyone, I will suggest holding on for a few weeks/ month until we get new kits which have 8.5 from the factory.
ID 8.5 is a significant improvement on ID 8. They are expecting it to be standard on cars from September onwards, and also the OTA upgrades to ID 8.5 will start sometime then.

I had the previous X5 in diesel, but the petrol is way more fun, and frankly, the fuel efficiency isn't a factor I considered in the purchase, you get a fun car and have fun with it

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2023 at 09:38. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Extra smiley removed. Only 2 permitted.
orthopod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and also the OTA upgrades to ID 8.5 will start sometime then.
As I mentioned, I am unsure about the OTA or even at the dealership as there is some hardware change. Kits built after a certain date (April?) should have upgraded units. But, given the BMW record, at least here in India, if that (8.5) is something on my mind, I will better get it from the factory.

Quote:
*Ex factory: BMW 7 Series, BMW iX, BMW i4 from production 07/23; BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7. BMW XM, BMW X5 M, BMW X6 M from production 08/23. Further BMW models in the midsize, executive and luxury classes will follow in stages. In BMW M models, BMW Operating System 8.5 will be introduced without the new graphical interface. Other cars that can be updated to BMW Operating System 8.5 at a later stage via Remote Software Upgrade: BMW 7 Series from production 07/22; BMW iX from production 03/23; BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7. BMW XM, BMW X5 M, BMW X6 M from production 04/23.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...or-summer-2023

Quote:
I had the previous X5 in diesel, but the petrol is way more fun, and frankly, the fuel efficiency isn't a factor I considered in the purchase, you get a fun car and have fun with it
It's all relative; these are big SUV's not a smaller 2 or 3 series. Torque also gives a lot of fun. Besides those chimes and overall speed limits, we can go only up to a point. For fun, I will also add an M2 along with an X5

So, my take will be to pick something that serves you longer. No right or wrong between Petrol/ Diesel.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2023 at 09:53.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 10:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful SAV, surprised that it is as good to drive as your 5 series, considering the additional weight and higher center of mass.

BMW doesn't offer cooled seats, but rather ventilated ones. They just suck air in and do not blow refrigerated air out like most people assume. All ventilated seats can get pretty loud due to how it is designed. Meanwhile, the heated seats do actually warm up the seats via a heating element.

I have only found cooled seats that actually blow refrigerated air in Cadillacs, Range Rovers etc.
Cresterk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 16:00   #10

Re: BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI

Quote:
As I mentioned, I am unsure about the OTA or even at the dealership as there is some hardware change. Kits built after a certain date (April?) should have upgraded units. But, given the BMW record, at least here in India, if that (8.5) is something on my mind, I will better get it from the factory.
All X5 LCi in India have the construction date July onwards. I know this as mine was the first one in Bombay, and is dated July 2023

What is not yet clear is about the upgrade to the 8.5 Some rumours say that its not going to be free, but one can always say that the current OS is behaving erratically and they will upgrade it for free.

Good luck with the M2, it'll be a really great drive!!
orthopod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 18:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

I drove an X5 and X7 back to back this morning. Haven't driven the X7 before as I find it one of most ugly BMW cars but looks there are many more now

The drive was a revelation for me. Suspension is infinite times better than an X5 and even when being self-driven, it does not disappoint. Add the white Nappa interiors, sky lounge and better quality headliner and a very usable last 2 rear seats. I will say, if someone is shopping for an X5, do look at an X7 as well.

Quote:
All X5 LCi in India have the construction date July onwards.
What is not yet clear is about the upgrade to the 8.5 Some rumours say that its not going to be free, but one can always say that the current OS is behaving erratically and they will upgrade it for free.
I checked on this, it's possible and already, dealers are doing on all 7 series and leftover i7 whatever they have. Per the dealership service guy, they should be able to do on existing per customers demand. You can take your X5 to the dealership and get it upgraded now. Do call and check and update here. Good luck

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2023 at 18:58.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 19:00   #12

Quote:
The drive was a revelation for me. Suspension is infinite times better than an X5 and even when being self driven, it does not disappoinnt. Add the white nappa interiors, skylounge and better quality of headliner and a veryusable last 2 rear seat. I will say, if someone is shopping for an X5, do look at an X7 as well.
The X7 looks way too ugly to me, is bigger than the X5(I'm single with no family) and beyond my budget

Quote:
it's possible and already, dealers are doing on all 7 series and leftover i7 whatever they have. I checked on one. Per the dealership service guy, they should be able to do on existing per customers demand. You can take your X5 to the dealership and get it upgraded now. Do call and check and update here. Good luck
I can neither confirm nor deny that I have already got the ID 8.5

Mod Note: Only two smileys are allowed.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2023 at 19:49. Reason: Extra smileys
orthopod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 19:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can neither confirm nor deny that I have already got the ID 8.5
That's not fair. As a member, we expect everyone to share unless, of course, there are any confidentiality concerns. I learned about such an update today and immediately posted.

If BMW dealerships are updating, it will be for everyone, not just one. You should post pictures and a small write-up about your experience on updating id8 to id8.5.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2023 at 20:00.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 20:18   #14

Precisely, my friend, confidentiality.
orthopod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 21:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Precisely, my friend, confidentiality.
Sorry to disappoint you, there is no such favour being done to you by dealership or whosoever told you like that. Any and every car that qualify for an update will be updated.

Here’s the complete list
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d owner test-drives the 2023 BMW X5 30d M-Sport LCI-screenshot-20230828-9.02.19-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2023 at 21:03.
Turbanator is online now   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks