Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2004, 19:00   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest news is about the Honda FR-V in todays Times Drive. "The car will cost about 12.8 ;lakhs in the UK and may well be an important part of Honda's India programme. With its tall SUV-like looks, amazing seating capacity and the prestigious Honda badge, it may well kickstart the Indian MPV market."

Honda "plans" yet another MPV for the Indian market. The FR-V. Seems almost similar in size to the Ford Fusion. Priced very high at around 13 lakhs, i doubt we'll find any buyers for it. I doubt theres a market for high-end MPVs in India.

---------------------------------------------------------

If Honda Made A Compact MPV, Would It Be The Same As All The Others?
A stylish new-wave compact MPV
Six seats arranged in two rows of three – better for boot space, better for passengers to talk to each other
Rear seats fold individually and flat, into the floor, and you can fold them one-handed – with no need to remove
Cabin is neatly styled, very well built and generously equipped
Handles superbly and rides comfortably
Power from gutsy yet frugal 1.7 litre and 2.0 litre petrol engines at launch, with a 2.2 litre i-CTDi turbodiesel to follow in 2005
Launched November 2004
Of course, Honda could have followed convention with the new FR-V, its entry into the compact MPV market. It could have wrapped the car’s outstandingly flexible, practical and intelligent interior in a boxy, slightly utilitarian body. But who says that style has to go out the window simply because you have lots of people to carry? So while the FR-V can perform workhorse-like duties, its styling doesn’t pigeonhole you as a practical person.

Then there’s the FR-V’s seating – five or seven? Actually Honda had a better idea; six seats, arranged in two rows of three. When you think about it, six seats are plenty for most small families. And with all the seats in two rows, it’s easy for everyone in the car to talk to each other, making it a more friendly way to travel.

The three-plus-three arrangement also means you can have a large boot – not always the case with CMPVs. And when you need more space for luggage the FR-V comes into its own – not only do the three rear seats fold individually, they fold flat into the floor. So you get maximum space without having to remove and then store heavy, bulky seats. What’s more, you can fold the seats one-handed, simply by reaching in from the boot and unfastening a single latch.

To add to the numerous seating/boot space combinations, you can fold the central front seat’s back down onto its cushion to make room for extra-long items or to form a table. The seat cushion also has a fold-out extension complete with storage drawer underneath it, expanding its usefulness.

Continue readinh here : Honda FR-V
Old 9th August 2004, 20:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

the fr-v surely is coming in india ..next year. we have recd the drawings for the components that we have to supply. so the localisation of components has begun.

also the new shape honda city...( more sedanish) is getting ready to be launched in diwali next year...as i said in another post. the localisation component list is out to us.

and yes the FR-V is gonna take the battle to getz and fusion...get set for some real action in this segment.

and ive heard mul getting a new hatchback model...liana probably...next yeear.

a battle royale...on the cards

cheers

Old 9th August 2004, 22:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]"The car will cost about 12.8 ;lakhs in the UK "
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The FR-V. Seems almost similar in size to the Ford Fusion. Priced very high at around 13 lakhs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]and yes the FR-V is gonna take the battle to getz and fusion...
If FR-V is going to cost 13 lakhs, how is it going to fight with Getz and Fusion? I think it costs more than twice the cost of the other two.

Ford Fusion is built on Ford Fiesta platform. The Indian Icon is also built on Fiesta platform. So, expect the interior space of Fusion to be as much as Icon or slightly more than that.
Old 9th August 2004, 22:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

The car looks good.. did anyone notice.. the rear half quarter portion of the car looks much like the BMW X5..even that rear quarter window!!

Front looks amazing!Should hit the Indian market soon i guess!!

Old 9th August 2004, 22:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

hey stratos
iwas thinkin the same thing ........
hey n_c
what do u guys do
Old 10th August 2004, 00:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

no guys,

me thinks honda is gonna price this fr-v real competetively....coz they are launching the car with quite a good amount of localised content.

i expect the getz to be arnd the 5.5 lacs mark,...fusion cud be priced similarly. honda can take a premium for the fresh new interior design and the honda name...suppose fr-v is launched at 6.5 to 7 lacs..i think honda will do damn well...

lambo,

we supply rubber hoses ( fuel,vaccum,water,radiator et all) to all major 2 and 4 wheeler companies in India and Triumph in the UK

cheers

Old 10th August 2004, 01:22   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]suppose fr-v is launched at 6.5 to 7 lacs..i think honda will do damn well...
No way Honda will be able to launch the 13 lakh FR-V for 6-7 lakhs. If they have to get a 6-7 lakh MPV, it'll definitely be the odd-looking Mobilio that they had displayed in selected showrooms.
Old 10th August 2004, 03:41   #8
BHPian

I doubt they will be able to launch this fro 7-8 but I am sure that it can be launched for under 10, reason being it is 3k more expensive than the others in UK and if you start to consider it will be a CBU, lower duties and also that company invoice is almost 25-30% below the msrp, so pricing it possible under if the pricing for the competitors is 6-7

L8r
Old 10th August 2004, 03:43   #9
BHPian

and I just noticed the seating is very innovative, but I guess the @$$ room is not going to be too much!!! but very different..6 proper seats..I hope it is broader than a regular car..
Old 10th August 2004, 03:46   #10
BHPian

actually let me correct myself, I didnt know the crv is also priced very much the same as frv in uk, so is the crv is 18k and comes to 15 lakhs in india..then surely this car would be close to 12 lakhs..

hmm wow!! thats a lot..but i am sure it will find its place..just cuz its honda and the interior are very nice looking and not very plain like the most of the other cars..

I dont expect it to storm the india mrkt, but i am sure if not beat atleast it will meet crv's numbers..

Cheers

Old 10th August 2004, 03:51   #11
BHPian

and let me also add that i think jazz would be something that would compete with the cars you are mentioning, dont you think? somewhere around 6-7 lakhs...

I also think that honda should launch the european accord in india with teh acura brand, trying to get a hold of the sports luxury mrkt as well, acura tsx as it is known in the US can act as a sportier version of the honda accord and can be priced very competitively around the 14-19 price range like the accord, its cooler/younger/faster sister

I think honda can become the no.1 car seller in india if they were to launch a lot of cars that they have not yet including the Stream, Jazz, FR-V, what is HR-V, diff to CR-V?? Civic, Civic 5 Dr, Acura branded accord and more...all under 18 lakhs price tag...I personally think they can do wonders, may be few eat away their own car sales, but then that way they can provide customers with lot of model range and this will attract a lot of others who might be interested..

I cant wait for honda to go full out in india..they have done great so far and i guess they should out do themselves in the coming 1-2 years..

I also cant wait to have nissan products launched in india..since i swear by Infiniti brand name and their newly designed products..

exciting years ahead for us guys...

cheers

Old 10th August 2004, 15:27   #12
BHPian

Guys,

Could get a close look, but I think there is a *Black Honda FR-V parked at Choksi's place. Also saw a 'silverish' one. I am sure both are Honda.. just not sure it is a FR-V. Can anyone confirm?

Milind
Old 10th August 2004, 15:36   #13
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

nopes. thats not a FR-V. Thats a Honda Odyssey.
Old 10th August 2004, 18:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

The FR-V is a amazzzzzzing car! it looks just wow Honda have a winner on their hands AGAIN!!
by the way, is this mpv going to be launched only in Europe, Japan and Asia or is it North Amercia bound to??? It should be. will sell really well in honda crazy USA.
Old 11th August 2004, 13:45   #15
BHPian

ya V12,

You are right it is a Odyssey. I checked it again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks