Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2023, 08:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Provocative takes on the Indian Car Industry | 2023 edition

As stated by nicodash, the only way Non Chinese EV makers would survive in India if Chinese EV makers with their state subsidies and high expertise are blocked. However, all makers, no matter where they originate, would still buy Batteries and it's requisite minerals from China at least till next 5-10 years. So, in a nut shell, Rise of EV = Rise of dependency on China. That is why GOI is clear that let EVs be restricted to Buses ( limited extent ) and 2 wheelers. That is why there is a huge push from GOI towards Green Hydrogen and Compressed Bio gas. If the current dispensation comes to power in next elections, one can only hope for this trend to solidify further.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:25   #17
BHPian

1. From now to end of year 2024 will be a turning point for Electric vehicles in India. A lot of launches planned by different manufacturers. By the end of year 2024, Tata will have an EV for all market segments. For all those who say EVs are something for the west are sadly mistaken. EVs or any other alternative fuels is what India needs to reduce its dependence on highly volatile crude oil market.

2. Green Hydrogen vehicles are overrated as the green energy required to produce green hydrogen is huge. For 350 kms of running around 175 KWH of electricity is needed. An electric car can run 350 km with 50 KWH electricity and rest 125 KWH can be used to produce batteries in a green way.

3. Maruti and Toyota are making merry by selling 25 year old hybrid technology in India and portraying it as something state of the art they of thought for India. Honda started the trend but then backed out of it by not launching hybrid in Elevate.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 11:12   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Yes. Also, I have seen those accessories. My point is, why cant OEMs add this as standard out of factory fitment. Just give us a plug point and we will use our devices the way we do in our homes.
I think having a 220V or 110V AC plug point in your car could be rather hazardous. I'm not an expert but I suspect, if it could be easily and safely done, it would be done all over the world. Of course, I have seen such plug points in luxury buses.
Old 5th October 2023, 11:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhildrao View Post
Highly disagree with this opinion. Even if we run on coal plants , the immediate decrease in local pollution itself will lead to massive increase in quality of life as most of the populations are centred around cities. The decrease in lung cancer rates and brake dust induced COPD in itself is a good enough reason. Solar is taking off and wind has become very cheap , your views are very outdated sir , you have just parroted most of the fossil fuel company talking points. Do you think crude oil extraction and refining does not Destroy and pollute massively? Do I need to pull up the massive oil spills that happens more often then not ? Do I need to remind you that cobalt is also used in refining crude oil ? It's high time we stop spreading mis information on this forum regarding this topic.
Clearly proving my 3rd point

Sir you can gladly disagree.
Your disagreement doesn't amount to misinformation.
Old 5th October 2023, 11:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkap257 View Post
1. Most of the Alto drivers today drive relatively rashly nowadays as they have recently graduated from a 2-wheeler. And rashly in the sense that they zig-zag through traffic, get into tightest of spaces, cut the lanes from left and try to get on the shoulder when traffic comes to a standstill without worrying about suspension or the underbelly of the car.

2. The worst rule breaking and offensive drivers untill 2018 used to be Dzire drivers. Nowadays they have sold their Dzires and brought first gen/ second gen Cretas. They always use high beams, go wrong way, block the free left turn, have tinted windows and bass tubes, and have Car-o-bar every evening.
( Yes I have my Creta in my Profile Pic. And no the above doesn’t apply to me as I went from a Ciaz to a Creta )
Creta / Seltos and MG Hector are the most poorly driven cars on the road - I rarely find irritating Altos (I rarely find Altos in NCR actually). Omnis and Versas remain the most dangerous along with postal vans (rare these days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Barely provocative.

Thought provoking at best

Here are a few provocative ones.
1. Maruti was a brand I used to appreciate. As they used to be a breath of fresh air, when PAL and HM were ruling the roost.
They were experimentative, darring almost.
What would explain the OG Baleno, the Kisashis, the Esteem, they Gypsy.
The Esteem would have been such a difficult sell internally. Guess how the presentation would have gone when they would have been pitching the product to their higher ups.
- looks exactly the same, interiors would be exactly the same, but would be priced much higher than the original 1000.
But now, when we look at Maruti, all that screams is lack of innovation and disregard for consumer safety. And possibly the worst NCAP scores.
To top it up, the MD comes and defends the poor scores. This is a clear sign that MSIL will slide down and brands that care about consumers will slowly grow.

4. Always be careful of cycles, Sumos, WagonRs on the highway.
1. Agree. Marutis have become staid, but retain network and service advantage.
4. And cows... (I have driven 1500 km in UP, Raj and MP last weekend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
2. Green Hydrogen vehicles are overrated as the green energy required to produce green hydrogen is huge. For 350 kms of running around 175 KWH of electricity is needed. An electric car can run 350 km with 50 KWH electricity and rest 125 KWH can be used to produce batteries in a green way.

3. Maruti and Toyota are making merry by selling 25 year old hybrid technology in India and portraying it as something state of the art they of thought for India. Honda started the trend but then backed out of it by not launching hybrid in Elevate.
2. Agree. Green Hydrogen as of now is all hype. Economics, Logistics or Engineering / Tech - none make sense
3. Nothing wrong with old tech if it works. I have an EV for city drives, would love to have a hybrid for highway use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I think having a 220V or 110V AC plug point in your car could be rather hazardous. I'm not an expert but I suspect, if it could be easily and safely done, it would be done all over the world. Of course, I have seen such plug points in luxury buses.
There are 12 V plugs that work well. I have been using this for some time now.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 11:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
[*]Electric is the cool thing to talk about, but no one really wants the industry to move to electric. I think this will fade away in 5 years time.
I am very confident that the Powers-To-Be here (The Black Swan "single point of failure" Risk of going All Electric) wont let electric cars take over ICE cars anytime in next 3-4 decades.

All the By-2030-All-EV is a noble thought but just not going to happen. The Chip-shortage was one very glaring Fake-Example of how artificial shortages in the global supply chain can bring down the auto giants to its knees.

One agrees or not, the CAR has become an integral part of this century (and the previous one too) and is here to stay. Way too many industries and economies are inter-twined to just let go of them over night and start making simple EV cars where the only challenge remains is the battery.

Ps - The only reason a Tesla is appealing is its Gadgetry and connect with the factory via satellite and the overall ownership experience of a Tesla. Elon may very well make a 998CC hyper efficient 35Kmpl 150Hp Petrol Sedan and I bet that would sell more than the Tesla.

EVs will not fade, but no way the petroleum industry, shipping industry, refineries and fuel stations, car makers and two wheeler makers, related parts makers, many more related industries are letting go off ICE Car that easily.

Quote:
Getting ready for the brickbats!!
You knew you are opening a can right
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 12:41   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: This topic has been discussed enough. Closing. Thanks for the discussion!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks