Team-BHP - Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/271818-toyota-fortuner-prices-hiked-up-rs-70-000-a.html)

Toyota has increased the prices of the Fortuner by up to Rs 70,000. Following the latest price hike, the Fortuner range starts at Rs 33.43 lakh (ex-showroom).

Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000-9-2.jpg

The prices of the 4x2 variants have been increased by Rs 44,000. These include the Petrol MT, Petrol AT, Diesel MT and Diesel AT versions.

Those opting for the 4x4 versions would have to shell out Rs 70,000 more. The 4x4 Diesel MT costs Rs 40.03 lakh, while the 4x4 Diesel AT is priced at Rs 42.32 lakh.

The price of the Fortuner GR-S has also been hiked by Rs 70,000. As a result, the SUV now costs Rs 51.44 lakh (ex-showroom).

Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000-screenshot-20231011-134003.jpg

The Toyota Fortuner is available with two powertrain options. These include a 2.7-litre petrol that makes 164 BHP and 245 Nm and a 2.8-litre diesel that puts out 201 BHP and 500 Nm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic.

Link to Team-BHP News

This will be the festive "discount" from Toyota to its High Net-worth Individual (HNI) customers. I believe no other OEM can pull it through like this in the Indian market.
Fortuner has not found any worthy peer after Ford exited India. They have thus decided to reward themselves on every occasion.

This was to be expected due to flawless Toyota ownership experience and greed.
Only thing I was thinking about was "what took them so long?"

Got the 4*4 in Aug end and didn't expect a price hike this fast! Dealers were saying price will increase in Aug when I test drove it end of Jul'23 itself but that didn't happen.
I thought it was just to push me and seal the deal faster. Come oct and bang, +70k. Why am I feeling better now? ;)

It’s seeing an increase and its frequency is increasing too:
Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000-img_0883.png

Not surprising, with Ford / Mitsubishi gone, Isuzu keeping mum they can get away with this for now. Hope no features were deleted.

Exiting India, where the consumers are exclusively looking at SUVs shows how incompetent Ford India was. Ford could've just stayed in India and focused exclusively on 20L+ SUVs. But now it'll watch Thar 5-Door being launched with a 9 month waiting. Sigh.

Soon finance gurus and influencers will start adding 1 T-Fort in our investment portfolio with more than decent return guaranteed over 5-10 years of horizon :)

Guys, we can criticize all we want, and I myself think that the Fortuner is very overpriced today. But the fact is, the luxury cars from Europe are even more overpriced and a royal headache to own (in terms of maintenance, upkeep, repair expenses, fragile nature etc.).

At least, if you buy a Fortuner, you don't have to worry about all the other stuff. You can take it anywhere you want, including highways with bad roads. You can put it through rough use and not have to "baby" it all the time. Moreover, what is the Fortuner's competition? Endeavour - the only real competitor - is dead. Skoda Kodiaq comes with its own delicate nature & European hurdles (e.g. DSG, European electronics, Skoda after-sales). MG Gloster? Nice, but let's get real. IMHO, the real competitor to the Fortuner is the Innova Hycross, which I would frankly buy over the Fortuner because it's better to drive & more comfortable (but b-u-t-c-h matters to the crowds, so go figure).

Toyota will continue selling the Fortuner for the *maximum* price that the market will accept it at. Toyota India is here to make money, it's not a charity. If as a businessman, I can sell a car at 50-lakhs, why would I accept 45? If the market is willing to pay 70-lakhs for the Fortuner tomorrow, Toyota will sell it at 70.

No longer are cars priced based on cost + profit margin. Instead, manufacturers test the market to see what is the maximum that the customer is willing to pay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5642304)
Guys, we can criticize all we want, and I myself think that the Fortuner is very overpriced today. But the fact is, the luxury cars from Europe are even more overpriced and a royal headache to own.

Moreover, what is the Fortuner's competition? IMHO, the real competitor to the Fortuner is the Innova Hycross,

Agreed, plus people know they're going to get an insane resale value making it a softer blow when you eventually sell it.

However, having owned both generations and sold both in the first year of ownership, it's not for me, not at any price let alone the current price.

To each their own.

If they don't frequently hike the price, how will the current owners get good resale ;) Plus they need to make space to hike Hycross's price.

Here comes the Pre-Navratra discount from Toyota!

Toyota has already tested the price elasticity well by introducing the two variants Legender and GR-S which merely have cosmetic updates yet expensive by 5-10L.

Further, eliminating features in a car, recently deleted the 11 speaker JBL system in the 4x4 variants. The Fortuner is already bare-bone compared to not just similar priced cars but even those which come at half the price, for example Scorpio-N. Despite all this, the Fortuner continues to sell 3K units every month.

This should be taught as a case example in economics and management courses.

This will make space for the upcoming SUV from Toyota. Toyota thinking 2 years ahead.

If you want to buy any car in today's market, visit Toyota showroom first. Once you check prices of Innova and Fortuner, everything else start looking cheap. You will find Harrier, Safari, Hector, XUV700, etc. are priced very cheap. Other cars like Carens, XL6 or cars like Creta, Seltos will start looking extremely value for money cars. You will actually feel better and easily make quick decision to buy a any other car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5642304)
Guys, we can criticize all we want, and I myself think that the Fortuner is very overpriced today. But the fact is, the luxury cars from Europe are even more overpriced and a royal headache to own (in terms of maintenance, upkeep, repair expenses, fragile nature etc.).

At least, if you buy a Fortuner, you don't have to worry about all the other stuff. Moreover, what is the Fortuner's competition? Endeavour - the only real competitor - is dead. Skoda Kodiaq comes with its own delicate nature & European hurdles (e.g. DSG). MG Gloster? Nice, but let's get real. IMHO, the real competitor to the Fortuner is the Innova Hycross, which I would frankly buy over the Fortuner because it's better to drive & more comfortable (but b-u-t-c-h matters to the crowds, so go figure).

Toyota will continue selling the Fortuner for the *maximum* price that the market will accept it at. Toyota India is here to make money, it's not a charity. If as a businessman, I can sell a car at 50-lakhs, why would I accept 45?

Nailed it. There are simply no alternatives now. When I was looking for a bigger ride, I did check the Hycross and bookings were stopped due to huge backlogs and waiting time > 2years. After driving the fortuner for 2 months now, I can tell you we really don't need a lot of those fancy features. There are enough options available to bridge some of those gaps (TPMS, 360° camera etc). I would any day dump more money on a structurally safe car built to last. Yea I would have loved it if it was 5-10 L lesser, but it's not. I would have loved it if it came with a lot more features, but it doesn't. On the flip side, if the competitors were pricing it correctly (read lesser), then why have they all vanished? Why is MG not able to sell the numbers even if it's priced less and looks current gen? There are clearly more aspects to the price comparison than fancy features.

Finally, Toyota will never provide interiors n pricing on par with the Koreans. Its USP is different. If one is expecting Toyota to do a Kia or Hyundai, all the best with the expectations. They are searching in the wrong place to start with :).

Just my humble opinion.

Meanwhile, folks over at Jeep would breath a sigh of relief only to later realise that people are still buying the Fortuner over the Meridian!!! :D