Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How many cars do you prefer to have?
One 69 14.56%
Two 269 56.75%
Three 81 17.09%
More than three cars 55 11.60%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2023, 09:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reasons to get a 2nd or 3rd car in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Use Cases specific to Delhi

1- Odd Even - Always helpful if you have an odd and an even numbered car.

2- GRAP Norms - My S-Cross (BS 4 diesel) is grounded. Thankfully a 2012 Brio (BS4 Petrol) is usable

Although these are temporary restrictions, the situation still gets on my nerves.
This applies in Delhi today, but may one day be applicable in other metros. We had two cars, with odd-even plates, so there was no problem. But many friends had either odd or even cars (two or three) and they faced a lot of problems during that time.

Regarding cabs, they are fine in general, but when you really need them, they are just not available in time. I have had multiple cancellations during peak hours.
Old 24th November 2023, 09:30   #32
BHPian

2 cars for almost 5 years now; primarily to allow wife and me to go work independently especially with 2 day a week at office routines. I can see a 3rd car getting added once the kid is old enough to drive on his own, but yes parking would be a challenge.
Old 24th November 2023, 09:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 2 cars.

My wife and I have always had individual cars for the last 13 years now. The reason is simple, in India, you are safer in a 4 wheeler than a 2 wheeler ( on most scenarios ). Even though we live in Bangalore where traffic and parking can be pain points, we have just managed to work around that.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 09:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Question not applicable. I live in Mumbai.

I am honestly constrained by parking space.

Else my garage will have a reliable daily driver, a SUV Preferably and a Nostalgia car like a Zen Carbon. (My current car can be a nostalgia car soon, a Polo 1.6 )

Last edited by 2000rpm : 24th November 2023 at 09:41. Reason: Multiple posts. Mods please delete.
2000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 10:07   #35
BHPian

Voted 2 -

Have been maintaining 2 cars for the last 14 years. The main reason being for medical emergency of a family member who was chronically ill. It has now become a need and basic expectation even though we are a family of 5 and only I drive regularly. My father drives occasionally.

1. Highway car - I love the concept of having a car with long legs for the highway. So had a Scorpio, Innova, Duster and now Honda BRV. This car is very well taken care of both mechanically and cosmetically.

2. City Car - My Fiat Palio GTX has been the city car for the last 14 years. Mechanical the car is in top condition, but I don't really bother much about the scratches and aesthetic issues.

I will soon be adding a 3rd car (small automatic) and relegating the Palio GTX to Toy Car or weekend fun car status.

Since I drive to office every day, rotating the cars is not an issue and I also plan budget for the insurance and services.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 10:17   #36
BHPian

I have one car now (can afford only one now!) but I think I'll eventually end up having 2 cars as a long-term solution.

Currently, I'm the only driver as my wife is yet to brush up her driving skills. We are a young couple and commute to office by public transport. Currently we don't need an additional car and the XUV300 is amazing on the highways!

But eventually, I'll settle for a larger SUV for highway and long-drive duties and a small EV car (something Tiago or C3 sized) for city duties.

I don't think more than 2 cars are required especially for nuclear families and unless the cars are driven daily and rotated, anything more than 2 cars will obviously have one sitting idle in the garage which is not great.
Old 24th November 2023, 10:38   #37
BHPian

Voted 2

While I have always been a 1 car person, started driving in 2008 with a used Santro, upgraded to a Chevy UVA, next up was a used Getz. my first new car was a Nexon Diesel from 2017 till 2022. A mid life crisis itch made me upgrade to a used 2018 model Hexa XTA from my ex boss, The Hexa taught me why a 1 car garage doesn't work for me . Jumped on to the EV bandwagon got the most affordable Tiago EV XZ+ in 2023 and ever since then have become a 2 car garage convert.

Both cars together cost me sub 22L and there is no car out in the market sub 22L that can give me the economy of the Tiago in the city and the supreme comfort of the Hexa AT on the Highways !! Win Win for a 2 car garage!
Attached Thumbnails
Reasons to get a 2nd or 3rd car in the house-whatsapp-image-20231124-10.27.50-am.jpeg  

Reasons to get a 2nd or 3rd car in the house-whatsapp-image-20231124-10.32.11-am.jpeg  

Last edited by mally2 : 24th November 2023 at 10:40.
mally2 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 10:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Was a one car person for all my life, till recently I got a pre owned Wagon R which has converted me to a two car person.
I cannot take the Gurkha every where although i don't have any issues driving it in the city. The most important reason is its height, it doesn't fit in most of the underground or enclosed parkings, especially in the malls. One of my known contacts who has a Gurkha managed to hit the overhead fire extinguisher pipes inside a prominent mall.
The other reason , its an attention magnet. It simply attracts lot of unwanted attention. The Wagon R hardly gets any attention, moreover owing to its tiny footprint i can easily park it in narrow slots.
Third most reason, in the Gurkha, ingress and egress is a bit difficult for my aged parents.
While hunting for a beater, I wanted to get a Polo and Figo, later decided to get a Jap as I needed something which was reliable with easy availability of spares.

In the long term I intend to replace the Gurkha with something more suited for long highway runs.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 24th November 2023 at 10:45.
Old 24th November 2023, 10:42   #39
BHPian

Voted for 3.

Ours was a 2 - car garage for nearly 10 years now. Come this year, my wife got her car too. So now it's 3!

We had the following cars until June this year - Creta P MT, Sonet D AT & MS Ignis P MT.

- Creta for those long trips / family outings in relative comfort.

- Sonet which was more for city, work usage and even my Dad used to take it over the weekends. Unfortunately, it has been totaled & we're looking for its replacement now.

- Ignis is primarily driven by my wife for work and by all 3 of us for city runabouts.

My long-term thought is (maybe OT) -

1. Get a fun car like a THAR or something now, which will be primarily used by me & my wife.

2. Replace the Creta with a good CSUV / crossover (2024 Creta / Seltos / Curvv & the likes) in another 1 - 2 years as it's already 8 years old.

3. A hatch / micro-SUV most likely an EV to replace the Ignis in another 2 - 3 years.
Old 24th November 2023, 10:45   #40
BHPian

No matter how special or exciting a car you may have, it will start to feel like a normal vehicle if used daily as a commuter. It's just normal human behaviour that we always want something more exciting than what's available at hand. To really value a good car, you need to have a beater commuter car at home.

I remember that I started feeling bored of a 4 cylinder 100bhp motorcycle when used daily. I had to start using my Activa more for commuting to keep alive the special feeling about riding a 100 bhp bike.

So definitely a 2 car garage for me. I have a small hatch EV for daily use and a big SUV for the weekend and highway drives.
anshumandun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 10:54   #41
BHPian

We've always had a two-car garage for the longest time.

1. Ford Ikon <> Maruti 800
2. Mahindra Scorpio <> Ford Ikon
3. Hyundai Grand i10 <> Mahindra Scorpio
4. Hyundai Creta <> Hyundai Grand i10
5. Hyundai i20 <> Hyundai Creta

These weren't strictly horses for courses purchases, especially once we moved into the Creta, Grand i10; Creta, i20 phases. Both cars have been used pretty much interchangeably, as they are equally competent — at home both in the city and the highways as daily drivers.

We are, however, thinking of going the three car way — either a luxury car or something fun like a Thar/Jimny.
Old 24th November 2023, 11:41   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I've voted for option 2.

We have a Wagon R (2nd gen) that is a beater/city car. It can go to all alleys, nooks and corners found in a tier 3 city. With parking in market places an issue, it helps to have a small footprint. But when taking it on highways, I used to feel scared due to its poor safety, bad pickup and being bullied by bigger vehicles.

Brezza is our highway car and occasionally used inside city. It's taken it inside city only when required or I'm aware that the place I'm visiting has a parking.

I feel having this combination is the best atleast for tier 2/3 cities.

But I concur what Jeroen says, if I have the money and parking space, I would love to have a few more cars.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 11:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

We have had an one-car garage, only after 2010. Before that there was none.

My current ride averages above 100 km/day even though its seen 1/6th of its days at rest. The other ride is a scooter, which averages a measly 3 km/day.

The only near/mid term addition might be an EV, but not sure am really excited to drive a smaller hatchback for 80 km/day after getting used to driving a crossover for 5+ years. It would be a fight between wallet and ride comfort when the time comes

The only downtime I saw was after an accident in 2021, which needed body work and car was out of service for 12-13 days. Otherwise regular services have been done on weekdays on the same day.
Old 24th November 2023, 12:07   #44
BHPian

As the only driver in my small family, I have only one car.

But an ideal scenario for me would be:
1. A small EV for city runs
2. XUV700 or HyCross or similar for weekend and intercity runs.

But as the only person maintaining insurance, services, cleaning crew, etc. with cars one is enough for me as of now.

PS: Our running is also pretty low. My car has run 18,000km in last 4 years.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 24th November 2023 at 12:08.
Old 24th November 2023, 12:17   #45
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

We have had a 2 car garage since the late 90’s and back then we were a larger joint family. We had the older Maruti Omni for city duties and the Esteem for highway inter city runs.

We still continue with the same pattern as having a small car (Wagon R now) for the city runs means wifey can be independent plus it is ideal from a city driving and parking conditions perspective. I have recently replaced the Dzire with a Harrier that primarily does highway duties and the odd city runs for office commutes and visiting friends and family.

At some point in the future I will consider replacing the Wagon R with a small EV/Hybrid.

Last edited by NPV : 24th November 2023 at 12:20.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks