Team-BHP - Honda "Civic Hybrid" coming. EDIT : Now launched @ 21.50 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Honda "Civic Hybrid" coming. EDIT : Now launched @ 21.50 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/27414-honda-civic-hybrid-coming-edit-now-launched-21-50-lakhs-2.html)

What an embarassment!! So first the ARAI does not accept cars that are certified by countries whose standards are much higher than ours and the testing a lot more comprehensive. Then, they dont even have the infrastructure to test a hybrid car. Hybrid cars aint exactly born yesterday.

[quote=amit;528892]ET reports that Honda will launch the Civic Hybrid in India next year. Could this be the reason for the dilly dallying with diesel that Honda's been doing?

Honda does not have presently have a competitive diesel engine but I think a 2.2 L diesel is under development and is expected to be available in models by around 2009-10.

Its for the hybrid engine sales that honda are suddenly claiming to be so environment conscious.

Honda PR at work.

Did you'll see the new Honda City VTEC ad on TV? All about environment and being there for 10 years and enivornment taking a ride with Honda etc. As Rahul said, could be the launching pad for a hybrid. But at 20lakhs???

See a ToI article in Bangalore edition. God knows if its correct.

Article Window

Quote:

New Delhi: You don’t have to wait for another lifetime to see a hybrid in India. Honda Siel Car India, the Indian arm of Honda Motor Company, is trying to make India a greener place to live in. The company’s Civic hybrid will take a bow in India in 2008 summer, making it the first green car to be launched in India.
While attempts to move over to alternative and renewable fuel have been made in India with liquefied petroleum gas, compressed natural gas and biodiesel powered cars, the Civic hybrid will be the first mass produced hybrid car to hit Indian roads....
As a result, the car burns less fuel and provides a mileage which is double of the petrol version at around 20 kmpl. Compared with the petrol version which turns out a 130bhp, the hybrid model will give around 110bhp. The disadvantage is obviously the price at which it will be available in India. Given the fact that Honda will import completely built units of the model, as demand for green technology is yet to catch up in India, a steep import duty will push the price of the car to nearly Rs 20 lakh.

20 Lakhs for a Hybrid Civic ! Thats almost an 8 lakh premium over the petrol version, clearly the savings don't justify the premium!

I think the Indian govt should seriously consider a duty cut(duty free would be ideal) on Hybrid cars, since the technology is not yet proven in India. The country will only benefit if people can import these cars at regular prices and save on fuel cost and enivorment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 635646)
20 Lakhs for a Hybrid Civic ! Thats almost an 8 lakh premium over the petrol version, clearly the savings don't justify the premium!

I think the Indian govt should seriously consider a duty cut(duty free would be ideal) on Hybrid cars, since the technology is not yet proven in India. The country will only benefit if people can import these cars at regular prices and save on fuel cost and enivorment.

agree: . That is the only way we could get somebody to buy this product, and keep our environment from going kaput!

I hope the government wakes up and does something about the customs duty on CBU hybrids. I read somewhere that Toyota is keen to sell the Prius here but is being held back by the 100% duty. I'm all for doing my bit for the environment but 20 lakhs for a hybrid Civic is just too much. About 15 lakhs is what I'll be willing to pay. What would be ideal is if the govt. cuts customs duty and gives me a tax break for thinking about the environment and fuel efficiency. Maybe Team BHP members should write to Chidambaram!

india will not be able to sustain electric or hybrid cars because there is no freaky electricity available in our states. Mumbai subrubs, pune etc., have up to 4-8 hours load shading (outage) because there is no freaky electricity.

If I am not mistaken Hybrids don't need to be charged they self charge with the captive battery whilst running/operating the car so load or no load shed...freaky Max!! this I think has no relevance or burden or access issues to our power situation which is freaken dismal is what you wanted to say Max!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 635874)
india will not be able to sustain electric or hybrid cars because there is no freaky electricity available in our states. Mumbai subrubs, pune etc., have up to 4-8 hours load shading (outage) because there is no freaky electricity.

Max, Electricity is only a problem for an electric car. Not for the hybrid version of a car like the Civic which essentially has an electric motor attached to a petrol engine - hybrids don't need to be plugged in like electric cars.

What i would like to see is Honda manufacturing the car in India itself rather than it being a CBU.

That would bring down prices to a large extent. Probably for people to go towards this technology the government should also consider slashing import duties on Hybrid cars.

However nothing moves here unless the right stuff gets to the right people !!!

Without a promise of selling in decent numbers manufacturing car local wont be feasible.

A look at 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid:-
* 1.3-Liter, 8-Valve, i-VTEC 4-Cylinder Engine
* Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
* Electric Motor
* Idle-Stop Feature
* Integrated Motor Assist IMA®
* Drive-by-Wire™ Throttle System
* Advanced Technology Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle
* Drive-by-Wire™ Throttle System
* Front 3-Point Seat Belts with Automatic Tensioning System
* Active Front Head Restraints
* Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) Body Structure
* Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
* Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
* Dual-Stage, Dual-Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
* Front Side Airbags with Passenger-Side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
* Side Curtain Airbags
* Front and Rear Crush Zones
* Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
* Side-Impact Door Beams
* Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Confused Programmer: Honda Civic Hybrid to hit Indian roads soon

Price it at 16-17 lacs and it could get into a segment where the likes of the "Laura" diesel etc.. are targetted!

I dont think Honda has any plans for launching a Hybrid vehicle any time in the near future. Its just the way Japanese work. If they plan a certain activity to be done in a certain period of time - they stick to it even though the competition leaps ahead.

Case in point - not offering ABS / Airbags in the NHC before the SX4 launch.

They have a all new Accord launch in April 2008 , a minor face lift to the Civic in June 2008 and a complete new NHC launch in Oct-Nov 2008. So I really do not see the Hybrid coming here in the near future.