View Poll Results: What would you do?
Buy Version 1 53 11.40%
Wait for Version 2 135 29.03%
Depends on the brand 277 59.57%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 15:18   #46
BHPian

Re: Would you buy Version 1 of a freshly launched car?

While I voted for V2, in some cases I would buy a V1 if it had been on the market for at least a couple of years, if not more. Most OEMs continuously keep updating their cars and sorting out niggles without launching a V2, so I wouldn't be overtly worried about picking up a V1 that is tried and tested over a few years and has a good reputation. This only applies to global models launched in India, though. If it is a new model that is completely designed and built in India and for India, I would wait for V2 as I am not going to spend my hard earned money in becoming a beta tester for the OEM.
Old 19th December 2023, 15:26   #47
BHPian

I am a newbie so can’t vote but my vote is for V3, depends on brand.

I had pre booked Vento and am one of the first few who were delivered within few days of launch. But as said by many if it comes to M&M or Tata, I would certainly wait for their second version.

Last edited by graaja : 19th December 2023 at 15:43. Reason: Minor typo
Old 19th December 2023, 16:57   #48
BHPian

Voted for 'Depends', but if it's a much awaited model, but the first cut, and I wanted it, I'd look to lease it and not to buy it. Buying for me is a longer term commitment, and I like to be able to take my time to plan, take multiple test drives in varying conditions etc before going for it. For many, a lease is not very practical, and a bit expensive, but the way I see it, it's phenomenal value for money. I'd never lease a boring car and practical car, but something that's exciting and not something that borders on being impractical yet pure fun. A lease allows you to enjoy the latest and greatest model and yet not have to be bothered with the practicalities of niggles and issues and more importantly, depreciation. After I'm done with using it for 3 years, I'd be able to turn it right back and check out the next fun vehicle.
Old 19th December 2023, 17:36   #49
BHPian

I voted for "Depends on the Brand" for the following reason -

I bought my Verna in Oct 2017 immediately after the new generation was launched in Aug. It was a much upgraded version from the previous one (came with 6 speed AT transmission - my primary reason to buy this was the Diesel + AT combo) for which i had to forego certain comforts (ventilated seats, start-stop button & foot-below-the boot-opening) as the AT was not offered in the top-end SX(O) guise. I bought this as "Freshly-launched" only because of my trust in the brand Hyundai.

But my other "Freshly-launched" experience with the Royal Enfield was horrible to say the least. The Classic 350 had multiple niggles (Battery dying in 9 months, Ampere meter short-circuiting etc) which forced me to change my strategy to "Wait for version 2" when i bought my Dominar 400 in 2019 (got an engine with upgraded power, new USD forks, new display etc).

Adopted a different strategy when buying my Interceptor (Bought it used - 2019 model in 2021 as RE was yet to launch an update). Lets see what the next one turns out.
Old 19th December 2023, 17:46   #50
BHPian

I think newbies on tbhp don't have voting rights. Anyway. I'll say this - Depends on the brand. As most of the answers here go.

I am only investing my money on a V1 product if it's a Maruti or a Toyota. That's it's. Rest, I'm gonna wait for user reviews and usual niggles to creep up for the company to sort them out.

This is the main reason of why Kia is out of contention for my short list ( I'm looking to buy a cSUV soon) because the company is only a few years old (in India) and i Don't want to invest in a chance headache of an ownership.
Old 19th December 2023, 18:39   #51
BHPian

Depends on the brand. Some brands do the testing in house and others seem to test by consumer feedback.

Get the latest offering in town:

Got the first gen Swift at launch and this vehicle was a hoot to drive. Had it for 10 years without any major issues. No issues or niggles which maybe due to the proven G13B. Also the only other competitor was the Getz at that time.

Was eyeing the Ecosport when the Vitara Brezza was launched. Booked it after test drive. No niggles or issues apart from usual Maruti cost cutting. Was pleasantly surprised by the handling too.

Will surely not think of Version 1 for Tata & Mahindra as they have a long way to go before buying blindly but are surely catching up.

Get discounts:

Did get discounts on the Swift but not for the Brezza.
Old 19th December 2023, 18:49   #52
BHPian

After 18 months of owning XUV 700 I would never buy Version 1 of most cars. On a related note I wouldn’t buy a Mahindra again. They just don’t know how to make a reliable car. It’s as simple as that.
Old 19th December 2023, 18:51   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Hi,
I never buy a new car. I buy the top spec version of the latest "older" model, second hand, low mileage, one owner, full service history. Best value for money by far.
All of the niggles have been sorted by then. Don't feel the need to impress other people with my "new model" car, which will quickly become an old model anyway. Also have to suffer all of the "niggles" that then get ironed out as time passes. Upgrades, recalls, changes, breakdowns etc. I don't loose a lot of money when I finally sell the "new model" car.
My current second hand "older model" car has now covered over 315,000 kms, 235,000 driven by me. The only "non service" item replaced was the injection pump, ( I was expecting that anyway). The car cost me 90,000 Rupees. and is still more reliable than the "newer model" that replaced it.
Happy motoring, Neil
51 years of car ownership !!!
I also have an "older model" house, and wife :-), both are also excellent value !!!
Old 19th December 2023, 19:01   #54
BHPian

I bought my 3rd Gen Tundra, the year it was launched back in 22. I went through the same dilemma if I should wait for another couple of years or pull the trigger. Ultimately - owing to Toyota's reputation, I decided to go for it. I would certainly not have done it if it was any manufacturer other than Honda or Toyota. Again, not comment on any other brand but a personal bias.

That said, would I do it again? Not Sure. There was lot of anxious moments, when people reported about their issues / niggles on different forums. Truck do get a lot of compliments but losing peace of mind is not worth it.

To summarize - I would definitely wait for couple of years for the brand to iron out the niggles, before I put my money on the product.
Old 19th December 2023, 20:13   #55
BHPian

Unquestionably wait for Version 2.

Version 2: we define it as basically the same car, after a year or two having sorted out most of the problems that a new car almost certainly will have.

Especially with all the technology in today’s cars, automakers struggle to get things right the first time.

I want peace of mind as a buyer.

That said, if you look at any product lifecycle, there are the early adopters as well - people who prefer the “latest and greatest”.

Also some brands don’t manage to fix issues even well into the lifecycle - Tata and Mahindra seem to be reputed for this.

No two people are the same - I’d wager the average knowledgeable buyer knows to wait!

Last edited by McLaren_P1 : 19th December 2023 at 20:14.
Old 19th December 2023, 20:23   #56
BHPian

Voted V2. Often when there is an introductory price for a new launch, it is to test waters either in a new market, or a new product. V1 could be an option for established models renowned foreign brands where initial CKDs can bring in few features that get pulled off in localised V2s.
Old 19th December 2023, 21:06   #57
BHPian

My option is not there.

Version 1 after sometime. I want to see real world performance and reviews of the car before making a decision.
Old 19th December 2023, 21:09   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
My option is not there.

Version 1 after sometime. I want to see real world performance and reviews of the car before making a decision.
Isn’t this basically Version 2? Version 2 simply means wait a bit for the manufacturer to identify and fix issues in a freshly launched new car.
Old 19th December 2023, 21:14   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren_P1 View Post
Isn’t this basically Version 2? Version 2 simply means wait a bit for the manufacturer to identify and fix issues in a freshly launched new car.
No. Version 1 as it is after an year maybe. Irrespective of what the manufacturer does or does not do.

I want to check the market feedback basically.

Hyundai i10 claimed above 20 km/l mileage. No one got it. Moreover there was a court case IIRC for such dubious claims.

An example of a dubious cliam:
https://www.cartoq.com/consumer-cour...tised-mileage/

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 19th December 2023 at 21:19.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 21:29   #60
BHPian

V2 for me all the way. In today's day and age, cars are very complex systems and the first year or 2 should be the "shakedown cruise" where most car manufacturers iron out the niggles in the product.

People feel Maruti has been an exception to this but that is because they have been using the same parts bin for almost all their cars. So apart from the shape of the car, there is a large portion of the car that is already tried and tested.

The downside of going with a V2 is that the hype is dying down. I believe that a car is gonna be with you for a decade or more. (Not applicable for us Delhi NCR folks...) and is a sizeable investment. Wait for the right moment for starting your ownership. Like that superbly mimeable line from Khosla ka Ghosla, "HOLD THE DRINK..."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks