Base variant 12 2.07%
Mid variant / Value for money variant 168 29.02%
Top variant 373 64.42%
Don't know / Can't say 26 4.49%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2024, 08:16   #46
BHPian

Re: 2023 Edition | Which car variant do you buy?

In the past, we've made few purchases which have not been top end, and have regretted not having some features later on, and therefore for the past few years, have ensured to only go for top-end. Our recent addition, the fearless+ Harrier

2023 Edition | Which car variant do you buy?-20231225_172336.jpg
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 09:12   #47
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have always bought the lower variants. Looking at 2023 to do the reverse, get the top end with all athe bells and whistles.
Old 1st January 2024, 10:07   #48

Can't say because it really depends on Manufacturer and class of vehicle. Nowadays lot of Base spec cars are decently loaded.
Old 1st January 2024, 10:33   #49
BHPian

Voted for Top Variant

Bought my first car (Swift VXi) which was a mid variant and soon realized that I should have gone for the top model as it missed on one important feature which was absence of airbags along with some good to have features. Also, the price difference was not much NOT to justify paying the higher price for top model.

Since, then next 3 cars that I have acquired (Safari Storme VX, Nano XTA and Taigun GT Plus 1.5 DSG) have all been top of the line. No compromises on any of the manufacturer supplied features. But I agree that one also has to take into account the willingness to spend that extra bucks over the VFM variants.

I am also not a big fan of after market fitments although things have improved leaps and bounds in the aftermarket as well. I have always been a firm believer that aftermarkets cannot be ever match the factory fitments and with ever growing complexities and technology in the cars, I am much better off with what is provided by the manufacturer from factory.

Cheers!
Old 1st January 2024, 10:34   #50
BHPian

I usually go for the variant that is one step below the top variant. It may not be the most value for money but will tick most of the boxes that I am looking for. For example, I opted for the Brezza Zxi AT a year back, which was a lakh and half cheaper than the ZXI+ variant. The only missing piece for me was 6 airbags. Everything else in the top trim was nice to have but not really required.
Old 1st January 2024, 10:57   #51
BHPian

Voted for the top variant.
While I'd prefer the mid-variant from a VFM standpoint, yet, I always go for the top variant from all safety features standpoint.
Old 1st January 2024, 12:22   #52
BHPian

Top Variant of course.

Sonet is my 4th vehicle owned and all my previous vehicles have been mid-variants. I tried adding after-market accessories, but realized nothing beats factory-fitted items, which are tested thoroughly.

On a side note, I have seen few Youtube blogs where people buy base-variant and take them to car decor shops (like the ones in Karol Bagh, Delhi), where they get the original accessories from the manufacturer fitted. I wasn't aware that manufacturers were selling their OEM equipment over the shelf. What I don't understand is -
1. Doesn't it void warranty?
2. Do they last as long as the factory fitted ones, even though OEM equipment is same?
Old 1st January 2024, 13:02   #53
BHPian

Voted top variant. Not necessarily due to value terms but certain important features are available only on the top variants. As an example, Hyundai offers rear wash wipe feature only on their top option variant. Sunroof vs rear wash wipe. Another feature is backlit power window buttons. Important vs novelty. Pick your choice.
Old 1st January 2024, 13:44   #54
ike
BHPian

First purchase back in 2017 was an S cross 1.3 Zeta. Missed out on leatherette seats, auto headlamps & wipers, electronic IRVM. Felt the Zeta was VFM and in any case didn't have the money to get the Alpha. At the time the 1.6 was available only in the top trim and was about 15 lacs on the road.

Got the top end XZA+ Harrier recently however missed out on the 18" alloys since mine isn't a dark edition. Hardly miss it though. I'm not very keen about aftermarket fitments and like my cars stock.

Last edited by ike : 1st January 2024 at 13:45.
ike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 14:12   #55
BHPian

Go in for the kill is what I have voted.
Cars are depreciating asset. No doubt. But nowadays the top variant of any car comes with all bells and whistles in its class that one can hardly ignore. If I can spend a considerable amount of money on buying a car why can’t I go for additional money to enjoy the maximum comforts many of which are enjoyed by my family as well.
Also I prefer to keep my car for long (my Altis is in its 13th year) that gives me the edge to spend more initially.
CArspeed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 15:11   #56
BHPian

Voted Can't Say.
It depends on what is offered and what is really needed.
In 2020, when we wanted to replace 2004 Hyundai Santro (bought used in 2012), our financial condition allowed us to look for used car around 5L only. Still we took test drives of all new hatchbacks in the segment. Tata cars were rejected instantly due to NVH (Felt like downgrade from 16yo Hyundai).
i20s from used market didn't make sense due to high pricing. So naturally we decided to stretch a little for i10- mid variant. But while in showroom, the SA offered test drive of recently launched all new i20. All 3 of us (Father, Brother and myself) were impressed by the experience. Price was quoted around 8L for i20 Magna (Base variant).
It had at all required features-
Parking Sensor- Check
All power windows- Check (Still some car in segment don't offer this as standard, WHY??)
Silent cabin and smooth driving experience- It's a Hyundai!!
Electric Mirrors- check
Touchscreen & Camera- I was against having a screen so this was not a miss
Rear AC- Not asked for it, still got it.
6 speaker Sound system- Adequate- competition didn't even offer sound system for base model.
Steering mounted controls, Adjustable steering, Airbags, ABS and so on...

Decision was easy- we get a segment above experience at same price while not missing on any required feature. 3 years and 20000 kms later, we are very happy with the decision.
Last month I was checking for cars for a relative- Exter is definitely hottest pick in this price bracket. But I was amazed to see lack of features in the base variant. Definitely won't recommend it.

Last edited by SaurAswale : 1st January 2024 at 15:13.
SaurAswale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 15:38   #57
BHPian

Top variant voted. Reasons for voting, as mentioned by all who voted for top variant.
Old 1st January 2024, 16:29   #58
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Top Variant.

Top Variation is most certainly the better competitor when you select to sell. I encountered this during the offer of my Ford ES - Titanium Model

I didn't buy a high class (preowned) 35k done Innova recently, as its variant was G, the basic model. The car was of exceptional quality, truly brand new, however, incorporating additional features will not be able to match the OEM V/Z model. I gave up with a heavy feeling.
Old 1st January 2024, 23:29   #59

This is my two paise hot take. It sometimes depends on the difference between the variants itself. The delta between the top two variants and the mid two variants is so high that it does not justify the upgrade purely based on the cost analysis.

The brain wants the VFM variant while the heart yearns for the top end. Carmakers know this and create this sense of FOMO and price them higher sometimes with steep markup. They know that people who are set on buying the Top model will shell out whatever the cost, case in point all the Top variant votes. While the rest of us lower variant guys can always seek out the coupler to coupler fellows to satisfy that regret down the line.
sentinel733 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 23:42   #60
BHPian

Voted "Can't say"
Because its subjective!

I recently purchased XL6 MT in its topvariant.
With my 15L OTR budget I had option of choosing between Zeta AT & Alpha+ MT.
I preferred additional features of Alpha+ MT over convenience of AT in Zeta, both of which were roughly in the same budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks