Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2023, 19:34   #1
BHPian

My used car buying experience : Saved in the nick of time

A significant time spent with your old car, age milestones coming up would only mean one thing for a petrol head. Start browsing for a new car.
Mind you I have been pondering on this thought for quite some time now to have a second car but I was never able to get the idea through my wife.
But now that our 13 year old Vento feels a bit out of breadth after day long outstation drives. Mind you the vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but just nowadays lacks highway oomph to keep up with the today's cars. I too was not enjoying the long drives as much.
Looked at our overall financial situation a decided to go ahead with the search. We were open for both used and Brand new options. Conditions we had in mind were as follows

Mine: SUV, AWD/4WD, Good road presence
Wife: Brand image, comfort, Panoramic Sunroof

These were the following options which were Test driven:

Fortuner Sigma 4(Used) at U trust: Overall the vehicle was good and was low mileage in fortuner terms which meant an astronomical price. Overall absence of a sunroof and a not so significant Used Vs New benefit meant the car went out of picture. Not having a sunroof too also meant not qualifying in my wife's books incase we went for a new.

Mahindra Thar(New): I personally loved the vehicle. It is just something else. The petrol motor and Automatic combination is just such a breeze to drive. I was blown over. Overall driving dynamics combined with the High seating position meant would take something getting used to. But it was fun.I was smiling ear to ear. and then I turned back to the back seat and saw the look on my wife's face. I could see there was no way this was happening. And I too thought of the whole premise of our car buying decision was long distance travels with family.

Suzuki Jimny(New): Another amazing machine. It would be a great addition to someone having a bigger vehicle(SUV/Sedan) and is looking for alternate city vehicle or pure offroader. Sadly our issue was exactly the opposite.

VW Tiguan(NEW): good vehicle overall. familiar space but slightly bigger for us considering we have spent more than a decade in a Vento. The fact that it was lacking a few features like 360 camera, wireless Android auto etc made me feel wanting a bit more. Also I felt at that asking price we should be really looking for 7 seater. (The all- Space would have been a great option)

Jeep Meridian(New): I drove the Overland spec vehicle. It fundamentally felt different from some of the other vehicle I drove so far. easy to drive and maneuver for its size. But the vehicle being based on compass felt a bit narrow. Somehow even though the vehicle ticked all boxes I was not that convinced with the overall vehicle proportions and driving manners.

How I was wishing the Tiguan Allspace was still on the market I would have just taken it home right away.

I browsed over google if there were some in the market in good condition.
I found 2 in Bangalore. One was near Hebbal at a dealer low mileage 21K or so. I thought it was perfect. Called the dealer and it being a Saturday we both went for the test drive.

Seeing the vehicle, it was a petroleum blue shade vehicle with white interiors. Fired it up and it was a nice place to be. I made eye contact with my wife, and it was the first time both of us were so convinced for any car.

I was worried the dealer might see our expressions and it may not be to our advantage in the negotiations. The test Drive was good all features and functions were in place. Engine performance was good tough there was a slightly higher thrum in the engine. There have been harrowing tales on the forum about the DSG issues but the shifts etc were smooth. somehow after such a long search I mentally wanted everything to be green.

Seller stated the vehicle has been issue free. It has visited SC only for routine service and once it has gone for rear bumper repaint due to a minor accident.

Sat down on the negotiating table with dealer and then seller on phone. I was able to get down to 15 % overall from the quoted price after an hour-long discussion. Somehow it was all feeling too good to be true that everything was turning out as per our expectations. Generally these doubts keep all of us extra cautious but the fact that both of us had spent almost more than one and half month checking out vehicles it felt that our hard work is paying off. Paid the booking amount and off we went back home

Dealer asked me to get the car inspected at ASC and get complete vehicle history.

I booked the inspection appointment at PPS Indiranagar. I specifically asked if there have been any major complaints in the vehicle service history I was given an answer that in vehicle service history there have been only regular(periodic) service and once the vehicle has come for rear bumper paint in under insurance. I had asked that Engine NVH levels were slightly higher and if there have been any engine or powertrain related issues presently or earlier in the vehicle Service history to the service Advisor. The answer was the same. I was told to be rest assured about the condition and service history of the vehicle repeatedly. Spoke to the service manager separately he too took the vehicle for a TD and it was in good condition and with clean history. I was denied to get any print out of the service history of the vehicle but was told verbally the details will be provided.
I received a receipt for the paid inspection that is all.

Now I have been getting my Vento at PPS for quite some time and felt their feedback is genuine . With all signals green now went ahead with the loan processing and other formalities to be initiated. Being from the automotive industry also tried to get vehicle history from company directly through some of my contacts. This being a holiday period getting the details was delayed and I dint bother too much on it since the assurance given by PPS I was convinced the car is a genuine low mileage gem that I have just found.

With all other formalities in place I was set to take delivery on 23rd December.

Out of the Blue the night before delivery date post dinner got an excel file from the contact who I had requested through a common acquaintance. This file had complete service log of the vehicle till date. I was checking this file in my phone initially my eyes fell on the regular service items. Then I saw the rear bumper paintjob. Then I saw a couple of instances where there was uneven tyre wear and brake wear . This was new but I thought ok as this was not brought about by no one. But not a major deterrent for me in going ahead with my decision.

It was an unformatted excel file so had to go line by line through it on phone but I now saw an alarming word " Crank shaft oil Seal". My eyes just opened wide. Increase the width of the cells to get more details across the particular row. It was an engine failure issue which involved crankshaft replacement, piston replacement, flywheel replacement.

The vehicle had come in at the SC in early December 2022 and the jobcard was closed in end of July 2023. Meter reading at the time of entry of vehicle was around 350 kms less than it current reading. Total service bill for this activity was around 3 lakh which mostly seemed to be carried out in warranty. So vehicle had spent 7 months at the service center owing to this issue and was the main reason why the car had covered on 22000 kms so far.
I was angry and shocked that how everyone owner, dealer and the ASC did not share this information. Immediately shared screen shots to the dealer at midnight and told him to put all activities on hold. He acted as if he had no clue about his issue. Next day went to PPS and tried to get details from them. Initially they were acting fishy but then DGM there called me into the room and the whole history was in front of him and was trying to convince me I should not be worried since all work has been carried out in and authorized workshop. But that was not my point and I was getting a feeling that this was a complete network that was working together. I kept quiet since now my main objective was to put on hold any proceedings related to disbursement of loan to dealer and get back my advance amount. Spoke to the banker told to stop all proceedings and got my cheques back
Went directly to the used car dealer and asked him if he knew about it. He behaved as if he is completely clueless and put the owner on call with speaker. Now the owner a professional with a leading organization in Bangalore was a complete shocker of a person.

According to him he never knew this much extensive work was ever carried on the vehicle. He had just sent vehicle to SC as an error popped up on screen and never asked what work has been carried out. As the work was done under warranty, he had not bothered to ask VW about the details. Everyone was in denial mode and acting like saints.

I had my lesson and just wanted to walk away from the deal with as much less damage as possible. I know many people would be of an opinion that I am too touchy on the topic and work carried out on the vehicle was within warranty. The way how all this information unfolded in front of me just too off-putting for me. The price which I had agreed to pay was for a premium vehicle which was genuinely low run and a clean service history and not a issue ridden vehicle which has covered less Kms than number of days in the last one year. People who have been on this forum also know how issues with VW+DSG powertrain never are a onetime problem.

After some haggling with the dealer for a few days got my refund of advance amount but the disappointment and heartbreak of the whole process just left a big hole in my heart. Was so angry about the whole situation but just felt luck and relieved that we got saved in the nick of time. I had logically struck out all other possible options in favor of a used tiguan all space that not other car now made logical sense.
All this while I also wish no other buyer would go through similar ordeal as well. I also saw the car popped up couple of days back at a new dealer in Bangalore, so I promptly called him up to inform him to remove the listing.

I will sit quietly now for some time to avoid any rebound purchase (Test drove a Q3) and wait for 2024 to come up with some new options. As far as an advice to other buyers is that a deal can never be too sweet. Do your research and due diligence.

My used car buying experience : Saved in the nick of time-capture.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st December 2023 at 06:28. Reason: Added paragraph spacing
Hemicuda is offline   (93) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 08:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My used car buying experience : Saved in the nick of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda View Post
- Dealer asked me to get the car inspected at ASC and get complete vehicle history.
- there have been only regular(periodic) service and once the vehicle has come for rear bumper paint in under insurance
From ecstacy to agony, @Hemicuda. For all that you know, maybe the vehicle would have just served you well. However, better safe than sorry - you did feel something amiss with the engine, and that was your first hunch; always trust that. Think about how someone without contacts in the automotive industry would have blindly gone by service records and moved forward with the deal.

When I'd gone with a friend in end-2017 to help him purchase a 2010 Fortuner, the U Trust folks just scrolled through the service history without providing any print out. So, the key message here is that even service history cannot be trusted fully (something I've always been wary of). In fact, I'm not sure if some jobs marked in service records have actually been carried out.
vigsom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 09:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I received a receipt for the paid inspection that is all.
Next day went to PPS and tried to get details from them. Initially they were acting fishy but then DGM there called me into the room and the whole history was in front of him and was trying to convince me I should not be worried since all work has been carried out in and authorized workshop.
That's a new low for VW dealerships. Any reasons they gave for not sharing such information even though you have paid them for full inspection? Or do they tell about the present condition of the car and do not share the repair history with such inspections?
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 11:00   #4
BHPian

The whole reason for approaching OEM's service center is negated by this behavior! What is extremely shocking is that the Hemicuda has a VW and knew the service center folks, which is an extreme rarity. Imagine if this wasn't the case, he wouldn't have known.

I think the owner and more than the owner, the dealer was counting on the fact that since the work is done under warranty, there are no permanent remarks in the insurance sheet, therefore, the chances of someone else knowing about it are quite low. Making money by duping people!!
youknowitbetter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 18:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
From ecstacy to agony, @Hemicuda. For all that you know, maybe the vehicle would have just served you well.
You know sir how long I have been searching . Although I agree with you but that is not a risk I was willing to take with this pricey and complex vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
So, the key message here is that even service history cannot be trusted fully (something I've always been wary of). In fact, I'm not sure if some jobs marked in service records have actually been carried out.
Actually as long as the work is done at an ASC the records will be there. Even the good for nothing inspection which I had done at PPS is in the records now for the vehicle. The fact is manufacturers generally have robust systems in place but customers like us are left to interface with devious and deceitful dealers who take us for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's a new low for VW dealerships. Any reasons they gave for not sharing such information even though you have paid them for full inspection? Or do they tell about the present condition of the car and do not share the repair history with such inspections?
I had taken in the vehicle with consent of current vehicle owner for an inspection which I had paid .PPS VW agreed to do this verification. So in my book I should get the answers.

I had gone in with a specific set of questions. Has there been any major issues/breakdown every in the vehicle? Have there been any major accidents and extensive bodywork done on the vehicle? They said they will not give any print out or digital copy but answers all my questions. All answers I got to my above questions were with the SA on the opposite side of the table and with vehicle history in front of him on his laptop.

In all of this I had hoped the service center to be in my corner and that is why in this whole episode I was so disappointed. In fact the same day I got the Tiguan inspected I had my Vento serviced for its yearly due maintenance.

Now the confidence with which the dealer and owner asked me to go ahead with inspection at ASC means they were confident none of the critical info which would alarm me will be shared with me. This only means this was a complete set up.
I have taken this up with VW management (as after repeated follow ups I did not get and answer from PPS Indiranagar SC) because at their end this was either stupidity or corruption. And I expect someone to be answerable as I was about to succumb to a major fraud.

Last edited by Hemicuda : 31st December 2023 at 18:11.
Hemicuda is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 03:05   #6

Glad you shared the experience. Sadly I too was put in the very same situation by VW coimbatore ASS.
I was interested in a Jetta tdi and had similarly like you taken it to get inspected with permission from the owner. One fishy thing I noticed was the owner was buddys with the staff there.
Coming to the point, they gave the car honorable feedback saying it was a coean car with clean service records l, well maintained. Note all of this was verbal, they were not ready to give me any printouts - fishy number 2. I asked SA to show his screen with service history which he did in a rush without giving me a chance to asses anything. So as all were almost good I was proceeding with the purchase, as it was cash I had to wait for a day to add the owner as beneficiary in my bank.

Now the day I got saved and Castle of lies falls
To satisfy my doubts I had requested for a original service history from another source. This came the morning before I was to transfer full amount. In the report it say a major accident with apron repairs and wait thats not all. The Vehicle was parked is ASS for 7 months unattended as the owner just abandoned it.
Same story followed as the original post, no one knew nothing and acting saints.
I lost some money with checkup, travel, hotel, etc.
But the most frustrating was feeling cheated and sad seeing even a beloved brand like VW is getting destroyed like this. Anger was lit on otherwise a peaceful person (me).

Thank you for raising your voice and this should be heard.
algu58 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 07:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is one of the reasons why I choose to stay away from used cars, until last year I bought a Wagon R from Spinny. Before buying, I checked the service history through my service advisor. The good part was he showed me the service history on his PC.
Now I was ready to take the risk since it was a Wagon R, parts are cheap, my only concern was on structural integrity which thankfully was intact.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 09:38   #8
BHPian

I had exactly opposite experience at VW Rajajinagar Bangalore.

It was April 2018, I was evaluating Jetta which is nearly 500kms away from my place(Bangalore). So I got the RC copies and documents and authorization to check the car history from the owner on whatsapp and went to VW ASC at Rajajinagar Bangalore.

While car was never serviced at VW ASC, Rajajinagar and with authorisation from original owner for history checkup, they were able to show the full history and realised few things, which were not shared with me by the owner. Based on VW ASC assessment, I went ahead and brought the car. After nearly 6 years and 60K Kms, the car is still doing great, no issues, true to the VW ASC assessment.

Last edited by manjubp : 1st January 2024 at 09:39.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 11:00   #9
BHPian

This happens regularly I believe. I recently bought a VW Polo for my son and took it to VW Moovattupuzha. They were reluctant to test drive the vehicle initially. They did an inspection later but I got enough signals from them to the effect they were careful not to upset the used car dealer. The car had its Odo cooked and the dealership said nothing on this. I bought it ultimately but have had to spend more than 1.5 lakh to keep it going. Business interests are a few notches above your integrity and uprightness is the lesson learned.
TopLiveCentre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 11:30   #10
BHPian

It was a really wise move to leave the deal. Like many said, it not the money that's lost that hurts us, its the feeling of getting cheated.
Next issue is, all the management that said the "car was repaired at service center, so it won't have any issues ". They're the ones that'll without blinking say the gearbox is gonna cost quarter the price of the car, if argue, they'll say "saarr, parts needs to be imported from Germany " and then, they'll talk smack about imported cars, and how some brands eons old technology that they use still date is a lot better.
The final issue is, when something goes wrong, these are the people that are supposed to help you. But they'll simply try to rip you off since they already know how deep your pockets are, and how much you have invested in the car.

Personally, I think the car might be a leamon, and the owner might be selling to cut his losses. This is purely my assumption.
Knighted06 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 11:50   #11

This is the sole reason i dread buying used cars in india.
Dis-honesty on the part of dealer/seller is understandable, thats why people get paid inspections before committing to a used car, but this should not be taken lighty by the ASC. In US they have the carfx and other mechanisms from which any potential buyer can get the complete service history/insurance claims from the comfort of his home without having to deal with such corrupt SA. Given that the indian used car market is poised to rise further in 2024 we should also have something similar in place to protect the buyers.

I also faced a similar situation last year by Audi chandigarh, where i was looking for a used Q2. The said car was a top technology trim which was said to be used by Audi engineers on visit from germany in thier plant in Maharashtra just to-fro between hotel and the plant. The odo was at 13k. I was too excited for finding a good deal, but then i took a friend for another look and he spotted completely worn out tyres, replaced brake pads. The dealer agreed to replace them with new set, stating that its normal as this is a awd drivetrain, they also specifically mentioned a clean service history and very gentle usage by thier german delegates. I came home but clearly i had some doubts, that same night i was watching a review of the Q2 by multiple channels including faisal khan, autocar and too my surprise the car had the same rc number as the one with Audi chandigarh. Looking at more reviews on youtube made it clear that it was the same MH14 registered vehicle wich was reviewed by many channels. Hence it turned out to be a media drive car.

I went cold the next day and didnt respond to thier calls and was glad that i didn't make any down payment.
amarcool55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 13:02   #12

I had spotted this Tiguan Allspace at 9th Gear Koramangala and agreed on a price in August 23. After taking it for a check-up at VW Hosur, the technician observed newly replaced nuts and bolts under the body, raising concerns about some work on the car. The service history report further confirmed these issues, leading me to decide against purchasing the car. Fortunately, the team at 9th Gear promptly refunded my booking amount, highlighting their efficiency in handling the situation.

My used car buying experience : Saved in the nick of time-whatsapp-image-20230822-19.18.52.jpeg
My used car buying experience : Saved in the nick of time-whatsapp-image-20230822-20.23.56.jpeg
mohamedfasil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 14:06   #13
BHPian

The old saying ... Something's fishy when it's too good to be true.

A VW tiguan selling at just 21k kms in odo is itself fishy. Calculate the loss in investment that the owner is ready to take..question is for what?

You got saved in Nick of time. The owner must be a good actor..seven months in service centre, and I don't know what they've done is so funny.

Even he is a victim in some sense, got a faulty engine for a new VW car. And now trying to wash his hands off.

Hope you now get a good new car to your liking
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 14:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A significant time spent with your old car, age milestones coming up would only mean one thing for a petrol head. Start browsing for a new car.

Attachment 2551643
Is this the car that has a 2019 MANUFACTURING DATE and 2021 REGISTRATION DATE ??
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 14:23   #15
BHPian

I am glad, you did not go through with the purchase of the faulty vehicle. I do have a noob question. Since you paid the amount for inspection, can we not take the dealer to consumer court for not providing the complete data and suppression of information? Just a thought.
Bala02 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks