Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2024, 11:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained

Humans and living beings including trees and animals have codified laws that have been enacted for their safety and well being. We have our sacred Constitution of India that guarantees us our fundamental rights. It also enumerates directive principles for ensuring a better quality of life.

But in respect of automobiles, there are no codified laws guaranteeing these entities on wheels, a good quality of lifespan. But the word "life" is repeatedly used in phrases as lingos in automobile vocabulary when it comes to "lifetime road tax", "lifetime third party insurance " ( once in vogue for 2 wheelers in the 1990's), "end of life" and so on.

Every respective automobile owned by us if allowed to speak and voice its life's first priorities, would assert its two most important fundamental rights as:-

(1) Right to good maintenance

(2) Right to be driven regularly but safely

We can discuss whether we do justice to our cars and bikes by obeying its unspoken words that are not codified, but happen to be their most important, unwritten fundamental rights.

To start with myself, I would say that I am doing justice to our three cars (incl the Tata Nano of my Mrs) that go out on the roads regularly. The fourth one i.e. my prized 1987 Maruti 800, moves out too less these days. Its started and its engine is warmed up twice a week. The once much used car's present predicament made me start this thread and now I will vow to drive it at least twice a month.

Among my two wheelers, the Lambretta and TVS-50, aged 41 and 60 respectively are parked since months. I also hope to get both functional and drive these from time to time. The Activa and RX 100 are regularly used and their fundamental rights are duly taken care of and obeyed.

I regularly undertake adequate maintenance and care of all my four and two wheelers on a regular basis.

Please share your own experiences about doing justice to your car/s and bike/s.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st March 2024 at 11:55.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 12:38   #2

re: Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained

Both My Cars, BMW X6 & Verna Are Driven Regularly, Verna Daily For The GYM Or Weekend Long drive by my brother, BMW x6 I Use daily for the office

I take good care of both of them, monthly wash & weekly or bi-weekly deep cleaning with proper products
Sbisht24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 12:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained

'Right to be maintained' of the vehicle. 'Duty to maintain' for the owner. This is wonderful in theory but to bring out another aspect- when Govt is hell bent on blanket banning cars over a 10 year and 15 year period, I wonder what incentive is available to owners for devoting time, money and energy for the same. Scrapping a car which is in great shape and condition due to efforts and money invested by the owner during all these years of ownership is rather painful thing to watch compared to a battered car which happens to toe the 15 year life on it's last breath. Agree that this ban is not across the entire country but if someone buys a car in 2024, they cannot be sure that Govt will allow renewal of registration in 2039 or not. So, apart from basic maintenance, an owner may not be interested in going deep down into it.

We have to pay a hefty registration fee in JH for renewing registration for 5 years which is at par the fee paid for a new car. The rate is calculated on the invoice value + green taxes/ renewal regn charges etc. Mind you, this is only for 5 years against a new car which can be registered for the same fee for 15 years. This is to discourage old cars being re-registered and 'penalise' owners for not buying a new car. Someone thought at the helm that everyone with a car has stashed bundles of currency note under their beds. More than saving the environment, this is the automobile lobbying in effect, sadly in a state which is even remotely not at the forefront in the country economically.

Last edited by saket77 : 1st March 2024 at 13:04.
saket77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 15:45   #4
BHPian

"Right to good maintenance" is a right I'm proud to say both our cars (Ford Fiesta and Skoda Superb) enjoy to the fullest. In fact, we are currently in the process of locating a good FNG for our Fiesta due to unsatisfactory aftersales service experiences.

The "right to be driven regularly" is also enjoyed by both cars, with us regularly taking them on highway runs, especially after prolonged periods of city driving.

However, there is something I've noticed. In some places the legal threat to vehicles' "right to exist" seems to be throwing a spanner in the works. Just a month ago, I was in Delhi, and the condition of taxis (Ola and Uber, mostly new-ish DZires run between 60,000-1,00,000 km) was just appalling. Engines that seemed like they were struggling to breathe, suspensions that were clearly busted, quite a few warning lights on the dashboard, wheels so out of balance that 60 km/h felt like 160 km/h... you get the idea. The interiors were often filthy, and the heater would pump in unpleasant fumes regardless of whether outside air or recirculated air was selected.

When an owner knows that their car will be illegal to run in 10/15 years, there is clearly little to no incentive to go beyond the bare minimum on maintenance, unless you're an enthusiast. Meanwhile, the taxi home from Hyderabad airport was worlds apart. It was an old diesel Mahindra Verito that had run 3.8 lakh kilometres and was in pristine condition barring some dents and scratches. Clean interiors, smooth engine and an actually working suspension. It seemed ready for another 3.8 lakh kilometres!

Perhaps a "fundamental right to exist provided the car is in good health" should be added to the list. And unfortunately, not all cars can enjoy this today.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 1st March 2024 at 15:49.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 16:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
"
Perhaps a "fundamental right to exist provided the car is in good health" should be added to the list. And unfortunately, not all cars can enjoy this today.
Indeed. The fundamental Right to Live, should be accorded to all cars. Provided they have not reached a point where their health is seriously challenged or where their decrepitude is beyond redemption.
Rather than these Draconian NGT rules, there should be a system of mandatory Motor vehicle Health checks once every year and if the vehicle is in good health then it should be allowed to ply.
Of course this requires a massive level of voluntary compliance and ruthless enforcement which are both very hard to achieve in a country which has such a vast and indisciplined populace, as ours does.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 10:14   #6
BHPian

Re: Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained

Right to be maintained Although our S500 BiTurbo is maintained to the best of our ability, minor things like the glovebox’s light fusing remains unfixed.

Right to be driven regularly We do not take the car out frequently ( despite my pleading) due simply to the fact that it’s long length makes it difficult to park in Mumbai roads
JunkyardHunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 12:28   #7
BHPian

Re: Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained

2019 Rapid- the most immaculate 5 year old car one could find, sees 100km/day Monday-Saturday, gets serviced timely, preventive maintenance, wax and polishes regularly and once a year goes to the service centre to address the battle scar.

2019 Kwid- Used 2 days a week, mostly for groceries run. Sees annual service and no paint care as such, has picked up many battle scars. In other words, our beater car.

2014 Sumo- Driven by our chauffeur for taking my dad to his office, my dad is very particular about his cars so it sees good care.

2023 RE Hunter- sees 100kms a week and very immaculately maintained by my brother.

2014 TVS Jupiter- Fill it. Shut it. Forget it. It’s been doing duty from last 10 years faithfully.

2013 RE Thunderbird 350- My companion from my college which has taken me to Ladakh and back safely & is the most sparingly used vehicle now. We don’t really need it as such but not selling it because of sentimental values. It has seen 1,00,000kms of our beautiful India, right from Ladakh, J&K, UP, PB, HR, UK, HP, MP, MH, RJ and CG. We just start it weekly and take it for a short ride once a month. Of all the 2 wheelers we have owned, this has got the best highway cruising abilities and also the most abuse friendly.
Attached Thumbnails
Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained-img_20240128_2123222.jpg  

Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained-snapchat11871507532.jpg  

Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained-screenshot_20231216_1621272.jpg  

Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained-img_20231219_1358382.jpg  

Every car's unspoken fundamental rights - To be regularly driven safely and well maintained-snapchat3659672942.jpg  

Last edited by sachin_cs : 2nd March 2024 at 12:48. Reason: Adding photos
sachin_cs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 12:36   #8
BHPian

2023 TVS Jupiter 125 - Used mercilessly for all commutes within the city, I wash it once in two weeks.

2016 MS Ritz - Used regularly for commutes in the city with 2+ people. Washed every 3-4 days,

2008 Tata Safari Dicor - Used sparingly only for long drives, probably once or twice a month. A grave injustice to this beast.

2000 HH Street Smart - Not used, but still enjoys full care from my side, a wash every 2 weeks and daily checks. Still shines and starts up on the first kick.

1991 Yamaha RX100 - Same as the street, not used but a beauty to look at. Still starts up on the first kick every time & regularly maintained.

That said, even if a small issue crops up with any of the above vehicles, they are taken straight to the FNG and fixed ASAP (the Street and RX on my insistence )
arnav17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 22:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Please share your own experiences about doing justice to your car/s and bike/s.
Do I maintain : Yes, whatever falls under my maintenance is 100% operational although sometimes I am not
Do I do justice : No
Do I need them : Yes
Very restricted usage but I do take the time out to learn more and play around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Scrapping a car which is in great shape and condition due to efforts and money invested by the owner during all these years of ownership is rather painful thing to watch compared to a battered car which happens to toe the 15 year life on it's last breath.
Spot On. Its a disrespect to effort and labour, whether the owner or the technicians in the factory/workshop. Not to forget the damage to finances and environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
- This is to discourage old cars being re-registered and 'penalise' owners for not buying a new car.
- this is the automobile lobbying in effect, sadly in a state which is even remotely not at the forefront in the country economically.
- The real reason which somehow we are supposed to believe is being done for the "environment" which is actually opposite.
- Consider the "money spend per year" of owning the car approach. This implies that we consider the life of the car and the purchase cost for the 15 year period only and then consider the next 5 years as a bonus with zero amount spent in purchasing. Then divide the tax amount by 5 to get a per year cost of ownership. Sounds twisted but its the only way I can make sense out of this. But then this kills any enthusiasm as now a car is being considered as an annual subscription

Last edited by shancz : 2nd March 2024 at 22:31. Reason: added coo line
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 22:47   #10
BHPian

I strongly believe that for cars to be in good health they need to be running regularly. Just like we humans need to be physically active to remain fit. This is probably more important when it comes to cars with more complex systems. I have owned two cars which aren’t famous for being niggle free or reliable. Drove a Fiat Punto for 1 lakh kms and replaced it with a Jeep compass which now has crossed 35000kms. My profession is one which doesn’t have an option to WFH, and I drive my cars 7 days a week almost always. I believe this regular running and preventive maintenance has kept them in good shape and they both have never given me any trouble during the ownership.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks