Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2024, 17:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq, Slavia facelifts to get Level 2 ADAS tech

Skoda plans to introduce Level 2 Autonomous Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) in the Slavia and Kushaq models in the future. It will be one of the feature updates coming to the cars alongside a facelift.

Skoda Kushaq, Slavia facelifts to get Level 2 ADAS tech-kushaq-slavia-ambition-1.5.jpg

Petr Janeba, Brand Director of Skoda said, “Regarding ADAS 2.0, we will bring [this tech] step-by-step with the facelifts on the whole [MQB A0-IN] platform.”

Janeba admitted that the brand has some catching up to do, as rivals like Hyundai and Kia already offer safety features like ADAS even in their compact SUVs. He added that as part of the company’s India 2.5 project, the Kushaq and Slavia will also gain a 360-degree camera along with other premium features.

Janeba also said that driving dynamics will set Skoda’s products apart. “There will not be so many features in the car from the beginning, but we carefully listen to the market and we know what our competitors are doing and we will be package-wise competitive, and price-wise competitive to our main target competitors in the segment,” he added.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 19:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq, Slavia facelifts to get Level 2 ADAS tech

I hope they also start to provide 6 Airbags as standard and not just in the top variants.

As for the ADAS, I don't see it as a big deal breaker. ADAS is not very useful for Indian conditions and most of folks who do buy ADAS enabled vehicles stop using it after the initial honeymoon period as they find it obtrusive and not worth the anxiety that comes with using it on notorious Indian highways.
DCEite is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 20:02   #3
BHPian

I wish and hope that they focus on these for the facelift/update of the Skoda twins.
1. Material quality - All the 4 VAG 2.0 cars is a significant step down in terms of build and material quality. Rapid was way better in terms of materials quality both inside out.
2. Aircon - Even though Skoda claims that it has fixed this issue, I personally felt that Kushaq still needs a better performing AC, especially in hot places like Chennai and so on.
3. ADAS is not a deal breaker, particularly for people who prefer VAG cars. These cars are more preferred for their driving dynamics including handling, performance, engineering, etc. After all who cares about ADAS when you are already full teeth wide when driving.
4. Contrary to what Janeba says, the premiumness of Skoda cars are not determined by its features but by its material and build quality, engineering excellence, performance and driving dynamics. Hope they understand and get it right this time.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 22:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Very ill-thought-out strategy inded to say "we will not have many features in newly introduced cars and will introduce features package by package based on what the competition is doing"

With one sentance, this guy is calling out three strategic blunders Skoda is making
  1. New Skoda model introductions will be seen as lacking market parity in features and perceived right off the bat as being feature laggards - this impression is hard to correct later.
  2. People loyal to the brand who buy in the initial part of the lifecycle feel cheated and develop buyer's remorse. Sure way to alienate your brand ambassadors.
  3. such razor focus on competition's moves (and trying to copy them) versus focusing on customer needs and wants - this is such a followership thing to do, such an "also-ran" attitude. Skoda will never really get ahead and establish any kind of leadership in any of its segments this way.

All they have to do is hire some bright top tier MBAs to tell them not to make such blunders and go ahead announce such goof ups as though it is a thoight out strategy!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th March 2024 at 22:37.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 22:35   #5
BHPian

I just have one question. Are the tech like 360 degree camera retrofittable ? Like the auto fold mirrors were retrofitted in cars which came without them? I know many aftermarket options are available, but the warranty is the issue. If they can be retrofitted, I think it'd be great for existing customers of VAG 2.0 cars. Adas is a tech we'd have liked on the current cars, but it's not a problem. Other members please shed some light on this matter.
Thanking in advance
Mitadru
Old 14th March 2024, 23:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Skoda plans to introduce Level 2 Autonomous Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) in the Slavia and Kushaq models in the future. It will be one of the feature updates coming to the cars alongside a facelift.
As a current Kushaq owner ADAS is not something I feel I am missing out on. IMO what I hope Škoda adds are more useful and easily implemented features such as dual zone ac(with physical controls please!).

The addition of ADAS seems more of a feature added just for the sake of differentiating it from the upcoming small SUV. I say this because the equipment level of the current Kushaq is comparable to a car from one segment below right now and I don’t see any way they can differentiate the smaller compact SUV from the Kushaq other than the size and that bigger 1.5 TSI(that is what makes me forget all the minor cons in our Kushaq though).

Last edited by Abhinav_2502 : 14th March 2024 at 23:21. Reason: Formatting
Abhinav_2502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 23:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

ADAS is not very useful for Indian conditions and most of folks who do buy ADAS enabled vehicles stop using it after the initial honeymoon period as they find it obtrusive and not worth the anxiety that comes with using it on notorious Indian highways.
I have a differing opinion here. I think ADAS is a welcome addition . It's way better than not having it at all. When you think of it, there are plenty of non-obtrusive ADAS features like the lane keep assist (which is such a brilliant feature for those long trips on our NHs), Blind-Spot Monitoring, Rear Collision Warning and Auto-High Beam assist (I mean how often have we cussed at the person who does not switch to low-beams on the opposite site of the road?).

OEMs have done such a good job in implementing them and you'd be surprised at how well they work even in our congested cities.
TN07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Disclaimer: I absolutely love my Hyundai Elantra.

But,

One visit to a Skoda showroom, and the sheer differentiated experience it delivers (e.g., SA depth of knowledge) is a reason good enough to appreciate how Skoda intends to play the game, i.e., by their own standards. No pressure.

As much as they are competing in a heavily contested markets, Skoda continue to carve a niche. They probably don't run their business through feature by feature comparison, but wholesome driver experience, a significant part of which is neither a 360 degree camera nor an ADAS nor a panoramic sunroof.

To that end, Petr makes complete sense. On features front, they will keep catching up, but the competition can never match the driver experience they can deliver.

Will i buy a Skoda? Probably no - a family of four has a single driver's vote.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 09:45   #9

ADAS has now become the "sunroof" of the features list. It doesn't matter if it's useful under Indian conditions; what matters is that it gives the buyer the satisfaction of not missing out on anything. It's a good thing that Škoda will be offering these features to its future customers. Škoda seems to be playing the Tata game here: keep updating the models and keep adding features; don't wait for facelift time to make your product more desirable. Tata did the same thing with different editions of Nexons and Safaris/Harriers.
Old 16th March 2024, 10:18   #10
BHPian

Much needed, although lane assist is not useful for majority of Indian roads but autonomous braking will definitely reduce fatal collisions. It is like an insurance product, this feature will be useless on 3649 days out of 3650 days (10 years) but the day it kicks in it will be worth the the premium paid. In the next 5 years, active safety features (pre-emptive) will have higher weightage. VW twins were lagging in this segment which you do not expect in German Cars. It was first time in the history that Creta seemed more appropriate than the VWs in the safety aspect.
Old 16th March 2024, 11:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I hope they also start to provide 6 Airbags as standard and not just in the top variants.

As for the ADAS, I don't see it as a big deal breaker. ADAS is not very useful for Indian conditions and most of folks who do buy ADAS enabled vehicles stop using it after the initial honeymoon period as they find it obtrusive and not worth the anxiety that comes with using it on notorious Indian highways.
I beg to differ. A well implemented ADAS can be a better safety net than any 5 * rating by third party organisation. I regularly use the lane keep and follow assist and adaptive cruise (with stop and go), makes it Very convenient. On many occasions it works perfectly in city too. The blind view warning and monitor, safe exit warning etc. warn you every time you are switching out of lanes. Rear cross traffic alert and auto braking has also been extremely helpful in this non chalant rickshaw driver world of Pune! Only thing I have kept switched off is the Autonomous breaking in city conditions, but I have kept the warning for the same ON.

It's certainly a great decision by Skoda, just feel they are too late to the party (considering these updates would come in 2025.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 15:17   #12
BHPian

Honda Elevate has pulled from Kushaq and Slavia volumes.

ADAS may not help much, but lucrative pricing will.

Once C3X and Curv launch, Slavia will be further dented.

Slavia may still be able to pull on, but Kushaq will have to play on the value price factor.

Kushaq as a product will have to be fully rethought maybe with Hybrid. VW does have 48V eTSI.

The upcoming sub4 meter product will itself cause some overlap with Kushaq.
Old 16th March 2024, 18:23   #13
BHPian

I liked the Kushaq Explorer edition showcased by Skoda. I have no idea why it wasn't launched then and there itself when the entire national auto media was present.

These special editions are a way to keep differentiating factor against existing customers, a sort of neighbors envy owners pride factor.

If Skoda can add Brake Lock Differential similar to the Tata Punch, the Explorer Edition will have its own USP.
Old 16th March 2024, 18:26   #14
BHPian

ADAS can sure be an optional addition.

But all 4 VAG IN2.0 cars have these major misses:

1) Electric Parking brake & auto-hold.
2) All 4 disc brakes.
3) 360* cameras
4) Slightly bigger screens with the infotainment tilted towards the driver. The UI also needs some updates/refreshes.
5) Overall improvement in the interior fit and finish, panel gaps etc., more soft touch material around commonly touched areas.

And most importantly, it still has an abysmally anemic air conditioning unit, which needs to be boosted & calibrated for our 35+* summers, with utmost urgency.
Zinger_Winger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 13:44   #15
BHPian

I don’t think ADAS is a decision making factor for Indian consumers as of today, saying this after using ADAS in city conditions for 4-5 instances. It’s only useful for those who do regular highway runs.
Now we can say Skoda has caught the attention of people, they should focus on their core strengths like-
  1. Interiors(quality of materials).
  2. Cabin insulation.
  3. Get that upgraded 1.5 Tsi anyhow its an import.

Also, fix the known issues-
  1. Noise during braking at lower speeds.
  2. Air conditioning.
  3. Power window noise and glitches.

And look at some unaddressed customer demands-
  1. Panoramic Sunroof.
  2. Branded sound system.

They can easily fix the points in Bold and then price it even more competitively to garner larger market share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks