Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2024, 22:17   #1
BHPian

How to find out the age of a deregistered vehicle?

Hello BHpians,

I am part of a project being done where we are restoring an abandoned Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ and wanted to know if there was anyway to find out the year the vehicle was bought. The vehicle has been deregistered and I can find no information since it hasn't been used since 30+ years. Checked Parivaahan, carinfo and all similar platforms but could not find any info.

I did try to check if there are any vehicles with + or - 1,2,3,4 numbers but couldn't get details on any of them.

Mods please move this to any existing thread if any.
arnav17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 22:35   #2
BHPian

Re: How to find out the age of a deregistered vehicle?

Can't be "de-registered" if its a non-NCR bike. Most likely the bike has never had any rto related work done ever since the RTOs shifted online and hence there's no data. Post the registration state, rto code and series here, maybe someone will be able to identify
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 04:24   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have the registration number of the bike - some oldies would recognise the registration series and help you with how old the bike is.

Another option is you could check the chassis number and compare it with chassis number of another RTZ and you will get an idea of how old the bike is.

Do check this post for more info on the RTZ

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5542053 (Homecoming! 1990 Kawasaki KB100 RTZ)
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 07:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Can't be "de-registered" if its a non-NCR bike. Most likely the bike has never had any rto related work done ever since the RTOs shifted online and hence there's no data. Post the registration state, rto code and series here, maybe someone will be able to identify
That's probably the case then. The plate reads CKW 4984.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
If you have the registration number of the bike - some oldies would recognise the registration series and help you with how old the bike is.

Another option is you could check the chassis number and compare it with chassis number of another RTZ and you will get an idea of how old the bike is.

Do check this post for more info on the RTZ

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5542053 (Homecoming! 1990 Kawasaki KB100 RTZ)
Will check it out, thanks!
Old 16th March 2024, 10:30   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

CKW would be old registration, so your RTZ could most probably be the 88-89 model. Computerised registration numbers began in 1990/1991 I believe.

Also i checked out CKW 4985 on Carinfo and it belongs to a Bajaj scooter registered in April 1989.

So I believe your RTZ too is a April 89 model. You could approach the RTO and ask them the procedure to obtain a duplicate RC.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 11:39   #6
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Get in touch with a good RTO agent and they should be able to get you the details of the vehicle using their contacts inside the RTO offices.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 14:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
That's probably the case then. The plate reads CKW 4984.
Nostalgia max! My first bike (albeit registered in a different RTO) had the numbers 4894.

CKW is old Bangalore '88-89 registration. As V12 found out, it is most likely an April '89 registered bike. All the best for the restoration.

Last edited by boniver : 16th March 2024 at 14:46.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Hello BHpians,
I am part of a project being done where we are restoring an abandoned Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ and wanted to know if there was anyway to find out the year the vehicle was bought. The vehicle has been deregistered and I can find no information since it hasn't been used since 30+ years.
The respective RTO (other than NCR) has no powers to deregister any vehicle suo moto. Deregistration is done only if:-

(1) Owner wants to scrap the vehicle as it is rendered unserviceable for him and is certified by a workshop as unfit. With such a document from the workshop, RC card and the deregistration form ( termed cancellation of registration form) duly filled, the RTO after ascertaining that no dues are pending and inspecting the vehicle, cancels the registration. Hereinafter, no further dues or liabilities regarding such a vehicle lie with its owner.

(2) Under the new 15 year plus fitness rules, if any vehicle fails to pass the RTO designated fitness test, it is given a second opportunity. If it fails during the second test too, an appeal lies with the registering authority viz the RTO. If the appeal too fails to satisfy the RTO, the registration is cancelled.

Your bike has not been deregistered but its records in the RTO are not updated due to its non payment
of dues and non appearance for fitness tests, post 15 years. If you approach them, they still maintain registers as hard copies for older vehicles. They can also tell you how much fee is due. After paying all the dues + fines your bike will have to undergo fitness test and get its fitness for five years. After the dues and fines are paid its status will be uploaded on the VAHAN portal. Thereafter upon its passing the fitness test the status will be updated.

Wish you good going.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th March 2024 at 21:20.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 14:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

A point I missed in the trailing post. I have described what all is to be done abiding by the rules, for cancellation of registration.

Post scrapping (necessary these days to cancel registration) the engine and chassis numbers cut out from the vehicle ( prior to scrapping) are to be shown to the designated person at the RTO office for final cancellation of registration.

Hence, the Kawasaki Bajaj as described in the OP with everything intact cannot be termed as "deregistered."
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 21:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Hence, the Kawasaki Bajaj as described in the OP with everything intact cannot be termed as "deregistered."
Okay, I missed mentioning a crucial detail here. The vehicle in question was involved in a major accident leaving the owner heavily injured. The bike was never touched after the accident which took place in the early 90s.
arnav17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 23:12   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope the owner has recovered from his injuries.

If it's an 89 motorcycle, the FC would have expired in 2004. The penalty for the fitness world easily cost you approximately Rs 300 per month from 2004 to 2024 which would be approximately Rs 72,000.

If I am not mistaken there is a penalty on the Green Tax also from 2014 or 2015 which is I believe Rs 50 per month which would cost you around 6000.

Add to the above the current charges for fitness and green tax.

And all this can be done only when the motorcycle is fixed and ready for inspection. Before you spend a mom to carry out any restoration, please check the RTO expenses so you are not in for a surprise.

I would suggest pick a running g KB100 and use this one for parts.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 01:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
If it's an 89 motorcycle, the FC would have expired in 2004. The penalty for the fitness world easily cost you approximately Rs 300 per month from 2004 to 2024 which would be approximately Rs 72,000.

If I am not mistaken there is a penalty on the Green Tax also from 2014 or 2015 which is I believe Rs 50 per month which would cost you around 6000.
This calculation doesn't work for KA. For the longest time, KA didn't have any penalty for fitness. In early 2022, a BHPian friend got his '87 RX100's FC (which had expired in 2002) renewed for a grand total of Rs. 1000. However, I believe KA introduced a fine for delay in FC from April 2022, so the penalty should ideally be charged for the period between April 2022 and now (that is what I had heard for another friend's KB100 whose FC had expired in 2012 and is about to be renewed now). OP should try and get the FC renewed ASAP in order to incur the least possible penalty
Old 20th March 2024, 21:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1) I am so sorry to hear that. I hope the owner has recovered from his injuries.

2)Before you spend a mom to carry out any restoration, please check the RTO expenses so you are not in for a surprise.

3)I would suggest pick a running g KB100 and use this one for parts.
He did recover, but faced different problems later on.

On points 2 & 3, an update that we have given the bike to a mechanic who has a donor bike in case of any parts required to carry out major engine work. Carb seems to be fine and wiring harness needs to be newly installed due to rats. Will elaborate more on this in the restoration thread, due in a few weeks.

Using this one for parts wont satisfy the owner's and our ambitions to see it running , hence ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
This calculation doesn't work for KA. For the longest time, KA didn't have any penalty for fitness.
Thanks for this! Does this imply any vehicle, no matter how many years FC has expired for the cost of the fine would be the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks