Team-BHP - Turbo-petrol owners of Team-BHP | Are you happy with your purchase?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Turbo-petrol owners of Team-BHP | Are you happy with your purchase? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/279060-turbo-petrol-owners-team-bhp-you-happy-your-purchase-3.html)

Love the super acceleration on my Verna DCT.

But the biggest surprise is the very good mileage on my usual routes. It does get very low if stuck in traffic for a long period of time. But I have very good roads with hardly any traffic on my day to day commute and easily get about 14kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LR-GUE (Post 5750215)
Hi all,
I drive a Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI AT since December 2020. Of late, I have been thinking about about this particular engine and here are my observations after driving around 50% in city, 20% in highways and remaining 30% in mixed road conditions
-

Conclusion - My next purchase is NOT going to be a turbo-petrol. I will consider EVs, hybrids or as a simple NA petrol + AT only. So my question to all members of Team bhp will you buy a turbo petrol as a next car?

Voted Yes, as we both drive the same engine :)
Mine is a Nov 2020 VW Polo GT TSi (3 cylinder).
But my usage is right opposite of yours as we do 70% highways and 30% city drive - all thanks to Hybrid Office mode still on.
Love the way it surges to 90-100KMPH on cruise control, I have cut down my long drive time all thanks to excellent pick up and on mileage front since I do 80% cruise control to save on speed cam challans, I easily get above 17-18 KMPL and THAT I believe is an achievement with this engine and delivery.
The best on display mileage (if it can ever be trusted) I have got 22.9 KMPL during my last weeks drive back from Indore to Pune. I took a snap and shared with fellow GTians and they all were shocked.

And to answer your last question if I ever will go for Petrol Turbo - Only and ONLY if they launch a proper 4X4 rear wheel drive Autobox in a Compact or Proper SUV (Hybrid will be cherry on top) that will be my next buy (upcoming Renault Duster - fingers crossed).

Polo GT I am planning to keep for my kiddo and family use down the line.

Defintely a big Yes! The punch in the mid range where the gearbox doesn't even need to drop a gear to pull the car forward and the pull that puts grin on your face, Defintely worth it and neven going back to NA cars after being used to a Turbo!

I wonder what a Porsche Turbo-S- owner will say about GT-3 model:)

Yes, in most situations, Turbos are hugely popular, but let's not discount the NA engines, especially eight or even six--cylinders.

I currently drive a Kushal 1.5 DSG turbo-petrol and had a XUV500 turbo-diesel. I loved both the engines and the power that comes with it. I use the Kushaq primarily for highways and I am typically on sports mode; it simply flies and I love it. Love the grunt from the engine on sports mode too!

It works for me since I don't worry too much about mileage. In terms of the turbo lag - I did not see this as an issue on my XUV500. Kushaq has a bit of a lag initially in the normal mode; it vanishes in the sports mode.

Based on this thread and my limited experience the pros/cons of turbo petrol are

+ Punchy midrange
+ Good low end as well if engine is higher displacement

- Lower efficiency if driven hard, irrespective of displacement. No getting around it
- Lower displacement engines (1ltr) will struggle with low end till turbo spools up. I have experienced that with both i20 turbo and Ecosport 1ltr ecoboost engines. This get even more amplified if you have a manual transmission and a city with lot of start stop traffic

Same thing if you compare a 1ltr NA vs turbo, for eg Santro 1.1ltr engine, it had such outstanding low end but then there was nothing else in the upper range of RPMs. Pick your poison.

Voted Yes

I own a Verna Turbo petrol SX DCT and am super happy with the purchase after 15K kms. This coming from an ex BMW and Mercedes owner.
As for fuel efficiency, my ODO shows 13+ kmpl after 15k kms which includes city rides, highway drives, long road trips, cruising and pedal to metal sprints.

Agree with GTO,
- there is a marked difference between 3 cylinder vs 4 cylinder turbo petrols viz. Performance, turbo lag, refinement, NVH, FE etc.
- I wouldn't go back to a NA petrol.

Voted Yes to the poll.

Very very happy with both my turbo petrols right from the word go as they are very exciting to drive.

1.2L Vento (mated to a DSG) is amazing and an all round package.

1L Polo (mated to a Torque Converter) reminds you it is a 3-cylinder set up but it is exciting nonetheless.

After driving about 1L KMs on both combined, am not too sure if i will think about a NA car again.

I currently drive a Virtus 1.0 TSI AT. Apart from the noise, not that harsh though; I don't think there is anything that I miss about my earlier Honda Jazz. The mid range punch will definitely make one smile.

Voted Yes.

I purchased my first Turbo petrols in the form of Abarth Punto which was brilliant to drive. However, I ended up selling it due to my daily commute of 55-60 kms daily in traffic.
As a replacement, I picked Slavia 1L AT and drove it for 30000 kms and sold it. Obviously it wasn’t a match to the Abarth, however, for a 1L engine, it was great.
Sold it purely due to annoying AC issues and itch to upgrade to the 1.5 DSG.
Yet to pick the car as I’m still on the fence and unable to decide!

A big YES
Could not have been happier with the 1.2 TSI + DSG combo in my Vento TSI.
Amazing power and super fast shifts particularly in sports mode makes it very enjoyable.

Only thing is that the fuel consumption goes high when driving fast, but that's a small price to pay for the driving pleasure.

Off Topic:

The irony of the poll results would not be lost on Ford (if someone is reading this thread that is) who introduced a gem of a turbo engine named EcoBoost 1.0 with the Ecosport. Such was the response that they had to finally discontinue cars with that engine. Too much ahead of its time perhaps and hence the rejection. The rise of the turbo petrols is indeed a surprise to me in a country obsessed with mileage figures !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LR-GUE (Post 5750215)
Dislikes
1. Absurd running costs.
2. NVH is not great as a NA petrol.
3. Turbo lag in low RPMs is difficult to manage in mixed driving conditions.
4. Unknown maintenence costs.
5. Mileage is very sensitive to throttle inputs.
6. Mileage is very sensitive to outside temperature ( I get good mileage in nights, than afternoon with the same driving style).

Conclusion - My next purchase is NOT going to be a turbo-petrol. I will consider EVs, hybrids or as a simple NA petrol + AT only. So my question to all members of Team bhp will you buy a turbo petrol as a next car?

Two cases where Turbo petrol's don't make much sense -

1. Turbo petrol's are not for people with light pockets. If you are ready to burn your pockets every time you use it, go for it.
2. It is useless for people who mainly use them in city in bumper to bumper traffic. Average is very low and you don't get any fun of turbo.

Also Turbo petrol's are costly to begin with. Maintenance costs are also high than NA engines.

Voted Yes. Having never owned a Turbo Petrol before and having gone through the phase of 3 powerful turbo diesels, I was really itching to get a turbo petrol (having driven several). I still own a 2L Turbo diesel in the form of a Chevy Cruze, but the 2L Turbo petrol in the GLA35amg is a different beast altogether.

As very well pointed out by others, frugality is not the name of the game for Turbo petrols. However, the sheer joy is intangible. But I have observed that if turbo petrols are driven carefully, they are not too far from an equal performance turbo diesel.

Voted yes.

I'm extremely pleased with my dual clutch Verna 1.5 turbo petrol. It offers a lively driving experience, particularly on the single-lane roads of Kerala.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 5750715)
But the biggest surprise is the very good mileage on my usual routes.

On my recent journey from Delhi to Trivandrum, I achieved an average fuel efficiency of 21.8 kilometers per liter on the MID(combining normal and eco driving modes) while maintaining an average speed of 85 kilometers per hour over a distance of 250 kilometers.