Team-BHP - Turbo-petrol owners of Team-BHP | Are you happy with your purchase?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Turbo-petrol owners of Team-BHP | Are you happy with your purchase? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/279060-turbo-petrol-owners-team-bhp-you-happy-your-purchase-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maky (Post 5750254)
I drive a Turbo Petrol in my VW Tiguan.
+ Explosive Power
+ Excellent fuel economy, for what it is.

Just curious, what's the "excellent fuel economy" that you are referring to, in both City and Highway drives?
I have been contemplating b/w Tiguan and [possibly] HyCross for a while and fuel economy is one big hurdle with Tiguan.

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I drive a turbo petrol MT, not AT.

I drive a 1.4 MultiAir Compass MT and I am quite happy with it. The gear ratios make it a little tricky to get the initial momentum but once it is in the 3rd gear the pick up is quite fast. The other car in our family is a ZS EV and I can say I don’t miss much when I get back to driving my petrol MT after driving the ZS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaviprem (Post 5751257)
Just curious, what's the "excellent fuel economy" that you are referring to, in both City and Highway drives?
I have been contemplating b/w Tiguan and [possibly] HyCross for a while and fuel economy is one big huddle with Tiguan.

Thanks!

Hello kaviprem,

I speak strictly of highway mileage. Sharing some pictures of the same:

Turbo-petrol owners of Team-BHP | Are you happy with your purchase?-img_8130.jpg

You must substract 10-15% from 'reading' and you'll have the accurate tankful to tankful real world mileage of about legit 13.5-14 kpl on the highways. The Tiguan can get upto 16.5kpl reading with Eco Mode and the Engine spinning at 7th gear, Cruise Control set to 90kph.

Turbo-petrol owners of Team-BHP | Are you happy with your purchase?-img_8289.jpg

Above reading being a downhill gradient so at all not practical to consider but sharing the same for your information when going down ghats or similar decline highways. Note, in Economy mode Coasting is enabled.

In the city, it will perform like any other automatic, 5-6 kpl, atleast in Bombay and my frequent routes. There is no comparision to be made with the Strong Hybrid on the hycross on this front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LR-GUE (Post 5750215)
Hi all,
I drive a Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI AT since December 2020. Of late, I have been thinking about about this particular engine and here are my observations after driving around 50% in city, 20% in highways and remaining 30% in mixed road conditions
-

Dislikes
1. Absurd running costs.
2. NVH is not great as a NA petrol.
3. Turbo lag in low RPMs is difficult to manage in mixed driving conditions.
4. Unknown maintenence costs.
5. Mileage is very sensitive to throttle inputs.
6. Mileage is very sensitive to outside temperature ( I get good mileage in nights, than afternoon with the same driving style).

Conclusion - So my question to all members of Team bhp will you buy a turbo petrol as a next car?

I drive the manual Rapid 1.0 TSI bought in Feb 21. While lag at low rpm is frustrating at times, I do enjoy driving it in traffic or highway.
I believe AT should dull the turbo lag to some extent and hence make driving more fun. Probably you need to adjust your driving style if not change it drastically.

These VAG ECU change the engine dynamics based on our driving. It happens to me at times that after several days of not driving, the car behaves sluggish. Then again after 10-15 Kms of driving it is back to normal.
Hence if you drive spiritedly, the ECU will keep the throttle response accordingly and if you drive sedately it will dull the response accordingly.

BTW what exactly do you mean by Absurd running costs and Unknown maintenance costs in your point 1 & 4 ? AFAIK, these 1.0 TSI engines are very maintenance friendly and do not cause issues unless driven very hard.

I really do get good mileage, 14-16 in city. The variance is based on the fuel. I do not drive sedately.
I have absolutely no issues with the vehicle and love driving it. In fact I am planning to get a used Polo 1.0 TSI AT for my daily runs and as a second car.

Also for point 6, I can offer you the advise to open the air intake channel and cut the front portion off it, making is something like the eurospec intake. That will help with the air intake temperature.

On whether I would buy a turbo petrol again, hell yeah !! They are fun to drive and gives better mileage that the NA ones.
In fact in my hometown, we are to replace our 10 year old Swift Dzire diesel with a petrol one owing to NGT rules in NCR.
My father only settled for the turbo petrols after driving the 1.3 turbo. diesel. He has clearly rejected the NA engines after taking test drives :uncontrol

I own two of these Turbos i.e. Octavia 1.8 TSI & Thar LX AT and I am very happy with both.

Octavia is perfect blend of power, performance, comfort & fuel efficiency with mine at 80K kms hovering at a lifetime efficiency of 12 kmpl.

Thar given its weight and non utilitarian use cases returns between 8-9 kmpl in city once you get a hang of it and manage its RPM.

Quote:

Hi all,
I drive a Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI AT since December 2020.
-

Dislikes
1. Absurd running costs.
2. NVH is not great as a NA petrol.
3. Turbo lag in low RPMs is difficult to manage in mixed driving conditions.
4. Unknown maintenence costs.
6. Mileage is very sensitive to outside temperature ( I get good mileage in nights, than afternoon with the same driving style).

Conclusion - My next purchase is NOT going to be a turbo-petrol. I will consider EVs, hybrids or as a simple NA petrol + AT only. So my question to all members of Team bhp will you buy a turbo petrol as a next car?

I own a 2020 Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI MT, in the famed Rapid Rider avatar. Absolutely lovely ownership experience. The engine is a delight, offering best of both worlds. You want a sedated good mileage run, take it easy on the throttle and you get around 18 kmpl. You want a fast corner taking car, drop the gears, take control of the engine, and boy, you would be in the sweet heaven of meaty mid range. Absolute fanboy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maky (Post 5751359)
Hello kaviprem,

I speak strictly of highway mileage. Sharing some pictures of the same:

Attachment 2592254

You must substract 10-15% from 'reading' and you'll have the accurate tankful to tankful real world mileage of about legit 13.5-14 kpl on the highways. The Tiguan can get upto 16.5kpl reading with Eco Mode and the Engine spinning at 7th gear, Cruise Control set to 90kph.

Attachment 2592255

Above reading being a downhill gradient so at all not practical to consider but sharing the same for your information when going down ghats or similar decline highways. Note, in Economy mode Coasting is enabled.

In the city, it will perform like any other automatic, 5-6 kpl, atleast in Bombay and my frequent routes. There is no comparision to be made with the Strong Hybrid on the hycross on this front.

Appreciate the quick response Maky.

Thanks for the details and screenshot. Good to know, this is inline with my local sales guy claims on highway mileage.
Is "Coasting" same as "Free-wheeling" OR is it comparable/similar to "Active Cylinder Tech" used in Taigun/Virtus?
If it's "Free-wheeling", it would negate the Engine braking, I suppose.

And yes, I agree HyCross Hybrid and Tiguan are 2 poles on extreme sides. Yet, the pricing proximity and head v/s brain debate bring these 2 in the same page for me.

Prem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaviprem (Post 5751521)
Appreciate the quick response Maky.

Thanks for the details and screenshot. Good to know, this is inline with my local sales guy claims on highway mileage.
Is "Coasting" same as "Free-wheeling" OR is it comparable/similar to "Active Cylinder Tech" used in Taigun/Virtus?
If it's "Free-wheeling", it would negate the Engine braking, I suppose.

And yes, I agree HyCross Hybrid and Tiguan are 2 poles on extreme sides. Yet, the pricing proximity and head v/s brain debate bring these 2 in the same page for me.

Prem.

Coasting as in no gear engaged. No power supplied. Neutral engaged and the car will be moving ahead for a finite period based on its current momentum.
The Active Cylinder Tech in the Taigun/Virtus(1.5L EVO engine) is something entirely different, 2 out of the 4 cylinders are deactivated at lower speeds to continuously reduce fuel consumption till a certain speed.

I'll share with you some reading resources on this vehicle if you are seriously considering this vehicle,

My Initial purchase thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...en-tiguan.html

My 6 months Ownership post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5739623

As we are now going off-topic for the thread please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions on the Tiguan.
Best of luck with whichever vehicle you go with! : )

I have never owned a Turbo Petrol, have a Turbo Diesel, but have driven many and I am very happy with their performance. My next car will definitely be a turbo petrol.
On the contrary I am not very happy with NA i20 IVT. It’s takes ages to reach the speed, fuel economy is very bad etc. But then it is only a city car and hence it serves the purpose. I cannot imagine taking it to highways, but wouldn’t have been the case with Polo TSI or even i20 NLine.

Voted Yes even though I don't own a turbo petrol (I have the Diesel TC gearbox of Sonet 1.5:cool: )

However, my sister owns a Seltos GTX with the DSG, and I've had the pleasure of taking it for a 100km run to office. The smoothness and silence of the 1.5 engine is a welcome change from the loud booms of my i10 1.2, and the power delivery was silky smooth and explosive when I compared it to my i10 AT.

The only flip side of the Seltos was spending money on 10L of petrol vs 6L of diesel:p

The next one for the wife will probably be a Tiago EV (feedback, anyone?). Somehow the cost savings over 100km daily are too good to be left out, and managing 3 ICE vehicles will probably be too heavy on the pocket.

Own a Rapid 1.0 TSI MT & Kushaq 1.0 TSI MT.
Both cars are exciting to drive and now there's no going back to NA engines..

Quote:

Dislikes

I have been driving a 1.2 TSI DSG since 2016. Mileage is not a concern for me, driving pleasure is. It has been an absolute pleasure. My next car would most likely be 1.5 litre TSI with DSG gearbox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 5750870)
Two cases where Turbo petrol's don't make much sense -

1. Turbo petrol's are not for people with light pockets. If you are ready to burn your pockets every time you use it, go for it.
2. It is useless for people who mainly use them in city in bumper to bumper traffic. Average is very low and you don't get any fun of turbo.

Also Turbo petrol's are costly to begin with. Maintenance costs are also high than NA engines.

Completely agree here. I own 2021 Honda Amaze petrol manual and I am happy with it in city traffic, low end torque is manageable quite a bit.

However on highway trips, I feel the lack of that mid range punch while overtaking or when I need that surge of power to fuel the beast in me.

My car usage is extremely low and primary usage is on highways...95+% but I deliberately selected NA over Turbo even though wife loved Magnite turbo petrol which was around 9.13 lakhs on road in July 2021. The reason for choice was pretty simple - budget, reliability, long term durability, hassle-free ownership, city FE, highway FE.

But I compromise on mid range punch on highways, which was a known trade off right during purchase.

My next vehicle could be a Turbo Petrol, preferably 4 cylinder one, if I am doing well at that point of time.:)

I own 2 turbo petrols both a DSG and a Stronic (rebadged DSG?) in my Taigun GT+ and the Audi Q3. I don't think I can drive any NA vehicles anymore. Period. The punch you get in a turbo petrol vehicle is unmatched. I am now used to the sudden rush. On a funny side, the Taigun hovers around 9-10 KMPL in the city, the Audi Q3 is consistently delivering between 11-12 KPML in the city. Both Engines are silent and only have a sporty note when revved.

I am unable to vote on this poll (likely owing to my membership status)—hence posting my response here: “YES”.

Most automobile manufacturers of repute have definitely upped the game with their turbo-petrol motors—delivering a balance b/w robust power/torque delivery and fuel efficiency.

Of course, without doubt the turbo-petrol engines are thirsty in overcrowded city traffic but they can prove reasonably frugal on the open roads/highways, as well.

As a call out, the performance of turbo petrol engine in a great handling car can quickly become addictive, making it difficult to lug around in naturally aspirated gasoline engines. That combined with modern transmissions (DSG, etc.) make for a great match that’s hard to give up for more conventional set ups. 😉