Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2024, 09:44   #16
BHPian

Re: March 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I see that Scorpio shows up steady 12k-15K over many months now, almost at 80% of Creta volumes & 200% of XUV700 volumes. It has been 6th most selling vehicle.

However in real life, while I see significant Creata and XUV700s in large numbers, I don't see that many Scorpio (N or Classic) in Bangalore or outside immediate Bangalore.

Which brings me the question: What is your observation in other cities? Is the Scorpio selling mostly in cities in North India vs South? or selling mostly in rural India? Also, Similar to Innova and Innova Hycross, would be great to see a split of Scorpio Classic and Scorpio-N.
mk600 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 09:48   #17
BHPian

Hyundai's reliance on Creta is dangerous, i10, i20, Alcazar, Verna niot doing well, Exter and Venue are the decent performers. A manufacturer at second position needs to have multiple champion products. You look at TATA, it has an evenly distributed sales across the offerings, which reduces risk. What if Mahindra or TATA comes up with a potent XUV500 or Blackbird and do what punch, nexon, XUV700, Thar did in their respective segments
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 09:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post
I see that Scorpio shows up steady 12k-15K over many months now, almost at 80% of Creta volumes & 200% of XUV700 volumes. It has been 6th most selling vehicle.

However in real life, while I see significant Creata and XUV700s in large numbers, I don't see that many Scorpio (N or Classic) in Bangalore or outside immediate Bangalore.
Time is the answer, 700 and Creta are doing numbers for a very long time, Scorpio_N is just a year old. It has started surfacing, I drive from Varthur to HSR via Sarjhapur and daily I see 4 to 5 Ns which was not the case few months back
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 10:21   #19
BHPian

A question to the members. Could the drop in numbers of safari be contributed to the recent lemon fiasco we read on the forum? I saw much reporting about it. Drop isn’t gradual but seems like a sudden drop . Just curious
TheStoryweaver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 11:08   #20
BHPian

Top Highlights for March 2024 car sales in India!

1. Tallest March ever. The growth tale continues unabated, 9.94% up over last March. This is despite news that there seems to be some slowdown with good discounts even on mid-sized SUVs like the Grand Vitara.

2. The Hyundai Creta comes in with all time high sales of 16,458 and the Mahindra Scorpio-N with sales of 15,151. Remember these are cars with an estimated median on-road price of 20 lakhs or more. Of ALL cars sold, Creta ranked 2nd and the Scorpio-N, 7th. Let this sink in. The Creta shipped more than even the WagonR. The Tata Punch ranked No 1.

3. Mahindra's market share at around 10-11% has been steady for some time now. Hopefully, we will see an uptake there in the coming year with many of their new models slated to be released.

4. Hyundai back at No 2. A great fight is going on right now between Tata Motors and Hyundai Motor India Ltd. If we look at KIA India and Hyundai Motor India Ltd. as a single group, they constitute over 20% of the overall market share. This is the overall market share of the Koreans. Will be higher if we include the Mahindra XUV300/400 and the Alturas both of which are Ssangyong products essentially

5. A fifth of all cars sold are the 4 meter SUVs (NOT sub 4 meter, but the ones whose lengths are exactly 4 meters). The Mini SUV segment comprising of the likes of the TATA Punch and the Hyundai Exter, beat the Mini Hatch segment consisting of the likes of the Maruti Swift and the Hyundai i10 for the first time ever! Think about this.

6. Across all sizes the number of models on sale are 45 SUVs, 11 sedans, 11 MUVs and 11 hatches. 78 models in all. Top Highlights for March 2024 car sales in India!

Last edited by niranjanprabhu : 9th April 2024 at 11:10.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 11:24   #21
BHPian

Toyota is earning so much money from Camry, fortuner, Vellfire and Innovas.
I only wish they take some risk and reintroduce Prius hut not in CBU form or maybe Yaris (the good one and not the cost cut variant).
blueather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 12:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Alarmingly low numbers for kushaq and slavia. I guess the new competition from Creta and seltos has completely decimated them.

Same alarming numbers for Elevate. Again it's probably creta at play and to some extent the lower priced automatic variants introduced in Seltos. With city nearly dead, the not so optimistic elevate numbers should be ringing alarm bells at Honda India.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 12:25   #23
BHPian

- Virtus sells more than Verna (just by 100+) and takes the lead in the Sedan segment.
- Jeep is as good as dead, I can say. No Wrangler deliveries, 2-digit Meridian sales and 3-digit Compass sales. It is not surprising as Compass never got that push from Jeep after that refresh few years back and that absurdly upward price increase. They should have done a proper update and in between refreshes to keep it going.
- 16k deliveries of Creta! The i20 of mini-SUV for Hyundai, if I can put it that way. What i20 did when it was launched, Creta is doing it now for Hyundai. Polished product, decent engines and a good service back up – the deadly combo the aspiring SUV buyers were just waiting for.
- Nissan/Renault sells around 7k cumulative is a good number. Nissan has just one car to sell which is pathetic for its global standard.
- While Toyota sells around 5.9k Hyryders, Maruti doubles it’s Grand Vitara’s sales to almost 11.2k. This shows, how advantageous is your service and sales network expansion.
- None of Tata models sells in single or two digits! Tigor is the lowest of the lot which sells around 2k. Maruti has 2 models selling at 2 digits (Ciaz and Invicto). Buyers opting for Toyota Hycross (9000s which includes Innova classic also) when it comes to 20+ lakhs budget, clearly shows the trend and psychology.
- Bolero numbers skewed as it includes Neo SWB+LWB+Bolero old gen etc. This is completely unacceptable to report as one model from Mahindra itself.
- With all the issues reported XUV 4OO sells around 350 which is surprising.
- Ioniq sold 65 vs EV6 sold just 1!
- Last but not least, kudos to Tata's Marketing & Research work on Punch design/delivery! Toppling a Maruti from #1 position is unthinkable so far! But they have done it. Quality-wise I am skeptical of Punch compared to a Maruti, but still, win is a win!

Last edited by sgmuser : 9th April 2024 at 12:32. Reason: typos
sgmuser is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 12:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Are these 15 Superbs new CBU ones? If yes, looks like 100 might get sold out in few months.
All the numbers in the list are dispatch units from the respective factories of the manufacturers.

So 15 CBU Superbs have been dispatched and have not been sold, there is no way someone will buy a car that was available at 35 Lakhs ex-showroom 3 years back with a 20 Lakh price hike currently.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 13:01   #25
BHPian

It is a very interesting situation with respect to the pricing and discounts in the various cars available today. The raw material prices have been softening all around and it is logical to pass some of the reduction to end customers. But the sellers (OEMs) seem to be unwilling to reduce sticker price and devalue the cars. Hence the inflated discounts which are not impacting bottom line terribly. Of course, there is an impact of a non festive March and slowing bookings/footfalls.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 15:57   #26
BHPian

To test whether the low volumes of Alto sales is, due to shift in customer preference with genZ moving to more bigger and capable vehicles in spite of higher ticket price or due to non rise in income levels of bike to car movers, we have to see how many of these higher segment cars like punch, brezza, baleno/fronx, i10, are first time purchases. My money is on the first one.
Old 9th April 2024, 17:30   #27

While i have been surprised by the Sales nos./ Production dispatches of Ertiga post Covid, we can note that in Mar-24, the nos. of Ertiga+XL6 have crossed the 20k mark.
This car is having an amazing run for some time now, considering the XL6 as well.
BusCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 18:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post

Which brings me the question: What is your observation in other cities? Is the Scorpio selling mostly in cities in North India vs South? or selling mostly in rural India? Also, Similar to Innova and Innova Hycross, would be great to see a split of Scorpio Classic and Scorpio-N.
Yes, I think it does. Whenever I visit north, which includes cities like Varanasi, Lucknow, NCR, Jaipur etc, I see a lot more Scorpios than 700. Also, in all these places ratio of fortuner vs XUV 700/500 that we see on road is more than that in South India, especially around Bangalore. I understand that this is a very subjective observation and not backed by data, but I believe people in north prefer more a butch looking vehicle.
SamDiablo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 19:46   #29
BHPian

This data is from SIAM, i used to be an automotive analyst for an equity research firm and i remember being subscribed to this monthly feed.

The data is not customer sales but shipments by OEMs to the dealers. In the long run, this is pretty much equivalent to sales, but in some products this may also include test drive vehicles being sent to the dealers. This may be the case with 15 superbs.

For fast moving products dealers will pre order certain models, and for models that sell less they may only place an order once they have a booking amount.

What confuses me is the low number from Audi.

Last edited by AP_1812 : 9th April 2024 at 19:50.
AP_1812 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 19:57   #30
BHPian

The steady death of the Honda City (and other sedans for that matter) worries me greatly. I have always been a sedan guy, and it truly saddens me to see that brands that are iconic for their sedans either do not have a sedan in their lineup (looking at you Toyota) or iconic sedans' sales (Verna, City) are being cannibalised by better-selling and more profitable crossover SUVs.

Not optimistic about the future for these cars.
JunkyardHunter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks