Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2024, 11:19   #16
BHPian

Re: My Amaze feels fun to drive, should I get myself checked?

We own two cars: a 2023 Amaze VX (CVT) and a 2014 Jetta HL (DSG), offering insights into different ends of the sedan spectrum. Each car occupies its own distinct niche. I fully agree with @saikishore's observations. Driving the Amaze in the city is just as enjoyable as cruising with the Jetta on the highway. Both my son and I equally appreciate the fun factor of the Amaze, mirroring our enjoyment of the Jetta.
manjubp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 11:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I love the way how the Amaze feels all over the place in corners. It feels like you are battling with the car, exactly how it should feel like. You should be working with the car, so that you can extract the best out of it. Unlike all modern cars which do most of the work for you and all you have to do is just sit and drive.
What an interesting post saikishor. Although some seem to disagree, I think I understand what you mean. My daily driver is a large SUV that would, quite honestly, take all the courage I can muster to extract some on-the-limit fun. However, my mother has a Petrol CVT Amaze that I drive occasionally. After more than three years of owning it, I think I can understand why you like it. Even though it is sufficiently fast up to 60 kmph, it takes some time to accelerate so you have to plan more while driving. The brakes are oddly vague so sometimes the car scares you by taking longer to stop. On top of that, the ABS kicks in quite often because of how thin the tires are and it takes them no time to lock. The car sits low and is light so chucking it around turns becomes sort of fun because it always seems like it's about to give up; the lack of grip, the body roll, the slightly slippery steering wheel, the absence of any bolstering on the seat, everything adds to it. It just is more fun because of that. You're right, the car makes you work because it itself is incapable. Above 60, the progress is slow regardless of how much you redline it. The car moves too much because of crosswinds above 100 kmph on the highway. The car is too light to not give you a scare if you go over rumblers on a long corner. In addition to all of this, there's that god-awful rubber band effect that I have no idea how you've made peace with.

Regardless, I just want to share that you're not alone. I've had incredible amounts of fun driving a battered Renault Kwid, a decade-old Mahindra Bolero, and even a diesel Ford Ecosport (all manuals) for similar reasons. You just can't trust these cars fully and that sort of involvement is rewarding in the most unexplainable manner. Love that you decided to post about it. Hope you enjoy the car for many more miles and it stays just as fun.
cg99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 12:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Hi Sai Kishore, I'm a qualified Car Psychiatrist with couple of decades experience in analyzing what people feel about their cars. Based on your symptoms, it looks like:

- You haven't put enough kilometers on your Amaze CVT yet. 500 kms is not much.
- I strongly suspect you do not like the power delivery characteristics of a turbo petrol engine. The turbolag at low revs is probably influencing what you feel about the Venue DCT N-line, especially when compared to (CVT + naturally aspirated engine) combo of Amaze.

My prescription:

Spend more time on both the cars. You will eventually get used to the lag in a turbopetrol engine. After that is taken care of, you can better assess the relative strengths & weaknesses of Amaze/Venue. Come back for the next consultation after 6 months or 5,000 kms (whichever is earlier)
Hello Dr. Smartcat,
I am glad that someone caught my intent of "conveying my thoughts with a very light note".
The symptoms you have found in me make a lot of sense. If I may explain, to me petrol engines are always meant to be high revving and free revving. Diesels are meant for the torque surge in the mid range, they don't really feel nice aftrr the turbo zone meaning till the redline. Naturally aspirated petrol engines will revv freely and provide acceptable mileage even when you floor it. Diesel engines provide amazing mileage no matter how you drive them. Turbo lag is something that I feel is a little less in diesel cars, because of the inherent torquey nature of diesel engines. So to me for having those redline rush moments, NA petrols are the way to go and for the torque surge happiness, I would jump into a good diesel car.

Now what are turbo petrols to me? Well, the worst of both worlds. Floor the throttle and the efficiency drops. The torque surge is no where close to that of a diesel. There is no drama till the redline like a NA engine. I don't like turbo petrols for sure. But this was never a type of engine discussion thread. And it will never mean to be one too.

I just wanted to share my surprised discovery of finding a commuter car to be very fun, in the lightest manner possible. I hope I conveyed the message correctly. Since I am no auto journo who will have access to any car at any given time, I do not think I can spend time with a turbo petrol. Even if given an opportunity, I will happily refuse.

Thank you for the consultation doctor
saikishor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 12:25   #19
BHPian

My grandfather loved his Bicycle, My dad loved his Samurai, I loved My RX135, so enjoy and have fun till it lasts - so later you can cherish on those lovely moments. Thats what life is all about !

P.S : My only suggestion is give a try on an oil burner, soon they may not be there to have fun

Last edited by Thyag : 17th April 2024 at 12:30.
Thyag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 12:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just wanted to share my surprised discovery of finding a commuter car to be very fun, in the lightest manner possible.
You probably don't realize this, but the steering setup of Brio platform contributes significantly to driving pleasure. It's steering feel is above average compared to other mainstream cars.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-setup.html (How is the steering feel of your car? What is your ideal steering setup?)

In cars with just 'adequate' power, the engine does not give any sensory feedback to the driver most of the time. But if such a car's steering setup (weight/quickness/return to center action/feedback) is above average, it gives sensory inputs to your brain via palm of your hands almost all the time.

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th April 2024 at 13:00.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 13:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeku View Post
I have had the most fun in our Hyundai Eon 0.8L which was termed as underpowered when launched. Maybe it's just the 3-cylinder growl (without much momentum) that puts a smile on my face.

Nothing wrong in having fun in a car that few may label as boring or dull.

In my opinion, when one spends a considerable amount of time with any vehicle, he/she is able to work around the quirks and find the sweet spots in that makes it a really satisfying experience
I once drove an eon from lucknow to delhi and back. That was one of the longest drives for me, sticking to 80 kmph.

However, I had the car for incity driving for a week, and it was such a fun and darty drive!!

So I dont begrudge OP having fun in the amaze. Heck, the FTDs of yesteryears which I had, like the Zen and the fiesta, would not even pass the entrance to the FTD club as most people think of it. But were they fun? YES!

Fun is subjective. And FTD is overrated.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 13:48   #22
BHPian

That's the spirit of a petrol head, finding enjoyment in anything you drive, I have a IDtec amaze CVT, that car is awesome to drive. Only thing is I have uprated the tires which has made a world of a difference. I have even had to take it soft roading once on way to a homestay, it was absolutely fine while a BMW X1 broke it's bumper.
terra85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 16:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
You probably don't realize this, but the steering setup of Brio platform contributes significantly to driving pleasure. It's steering feel is above average compared to other mainstream cars.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-setup.html (How is the steering feel of your car? What is your ideal steering setup?)

In cars with just 'adequate' power, the engine does not give any sensory feedback to the driver most of the time. But if such a car's steering setup (weight/quickness/return to center action/feedback) is above average, it gives sensory inputs to your brain via palm of your hands almost all the time.

Brio I will not comment as I have never driven one. Many reviews(including the one on the forum) state that the Amaze's EPS is considerably heavier than others. This is noticeable when you drive an Amaze after reading those lines about the steering. Heck my dad who is a regular Joe asked the sales guy during the TD if the Amaze had a power steering or not
I must say the Amaze's steering communicates much better than other EPS equipped cars. Maybe this has something to do with the heavy steering.
saikishor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 17:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
This car will appeal to most of the 30+ age group bracket audience.
Umm, what led you to conclude this?

1. Does the car represent good value to and within the reach of someone who is in their 30s?
2. A person in their 30s is old and therefore this prosaic car should appeal to them?

I agree with the general concept of fun being had while driving a slow car fast v/s driving a fast car slow etc., though.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 17th April 2024 at 17:04.
ashivas89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 17:09   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Nice review. I suggest you use paddle shifters frequently for even more fun.

Haters will hate, no matter what. This is an open forum, you do you.

Get the exhaust as a member has suggested and you got Stage 1 options from Code6 and Wolf as well.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 17:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Umm, what led you to conclude this?

1. Does the car represent good value to and within the reach of someone who is in their 30s?
2. A person in their 30s is old and therefore this prosaic car should appeal to them?

I agree with the general concept of fun being had while driving a slow car fast v/s driving a fast car slow etc., though.
Most of the buyers who opt for this car are people who are at the beginning of growing in their career IMO. The category that this car operates in, no other car would seem like an overall safe option in the long term. And the smooth CVT makes matters even more better.
Old 17th April 2024, 17:23   #27
BHPian

My dad owns a 2014 Datsun Go, and he loves driving it so much that he looks for opportunities daily so he can enjoy his machine everyday. Before I learned how to drive a couple years ago, I used to think what fun does the old man find in a tin can like that, given every reviewer touted it as a passable commuter, with ordinary engine and handling.

That was until I learned how to drive. And did so in that very car itself. Today I live in a hostel as I'm in a college pursuing higher studies away from home. And whenever I'm home, I look for opportunities to get in that driver seat as often as I can. Father and son argue over who gets to drive, and well whoever gets the chance has a grin over his face.
Skorp_Knight is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 17:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the buyers who opt for this car are people who are at the beginning of growing in their career IMO. The category that this car operates in, no other car would seem like an overall safe option in the long term. And the smooth CVT makes matters even more better.
On the contrary, people in their 30's who are emerging into the world of being able to afford C+ segment cars are at the right age to experiment and yolo it a little. A prosaic and safe bet should be the last thing on their minds. Any risky purchase can be corrected for since they have the luxury of age/ years ahead of them, as opposed to someone who has had their fair share of fun and would like to "retire" to a hassle free and occasionally "fun" package.

Sorry for the slightly OT post.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 17th April 2024 at 17:31.
ashivas89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 20:36   #29

Quote:
I thought he was abnormal and he had to reconsider his life choices. 2+ years later, I own an Amaze and I am finding it much more fun to drive than him.
You're alright buddy, I drive an X1 and a Toyota Liva and oddly enough I don't find the BMW superior in terms of fun. Is it way more powerful and quick? Yes it is, but in the city that's simply of no use. Highways are better in the beamer for sure, but I enjoy the Liva as much in the city.
Old 17th April 2024, 22:01   #30
BHPian

I love driving my 13-year-old A-star, I regularly drive a 2021 Seltos CVT and a 2014 Dzire VXI but I never have the same fun when compared to the A-star. I have not been able to pinpoint the reason why but I believe it is because of the free-revving nature of the engine. Apart from this, I feel that the A-Star is more planted on the roads when compared to Dzire at higher speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks