Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2004, 20:30   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, brilliance was amongst us and we didnt even realise. Carlos Ghosn, CEO and President of Nissan, flew into Mumbai on Sunday for two days.

Carlos Ghosn is one of the few outstanding personalities in the auto industry, and someone I respect tremendously. Brazilian born Carlos Ghosn is a graduate of the Ecole Polytechnique, France. He had a meteoric career at the Michelin Tire Company where he operated their North American Operations. Even during times of harsh recessions, Carlos Ghosn had acquired the Uniroyal Goodrich Tyre Co. The bright executive then went over to French Auto manufacturer, Renault where he implemented cost - cutting strategies that saved millions of dollars. Even though he incurred the wrath of the management there, Carlos Ghosn is acclaimed as one of the top three executives who saved Renault from the doldrums.
Carlos Ghosn is known in the global business circles as "Le Cost Killer". He is gifted with a sharp eye for in-discrepancies in the operations, and has proven this skill time and again at Michelin and at Renault. The Japanese business community fondly calls his business style the "Ghosn Ryu" which many top companies are trying to replicate. Even the traditional, old - fashioned and anti - western Japanese management look up to him in awe as he dictates the goings-on in their company. When Carlos Ghosn arrived at Nissan, from Parent company Renault, he publicly vowed to bring back the beleaguered automotive manufacturer to profitability by 2001 or else he would quit as the Chief Operating Officer. Considering the state of Nissans affairs then and the fact that 2001 was only three years away, market analysts wrote away Carlos Ghosn's career. When he himself saw the current state of affairs at the Nissan Motor Company, Mr. Ghosn wondered what he had gotten himself into.

Well, he achieved it...and with time to spare. Just a superb background I thought you people would be interested in.

Anyways, coming back to the topic....Nissan is dead serious eh?

GTO

Credit goes to Revvmaster for smsing me about his arrival.

Old 5th October 2004, 22:33   #2
BHPian

Man this guy is my idol..its unbelievale what he has done with nissan and infiniti..i have to reach office and see what more I can find on him..

in my eyes he is the greatest CEO for now in the auto industry

Old 6th October 2004, 00:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well some more excerpts on the news which was carried in the Business Standard dated today.

Mr. Ghosn was down here on Sunday and scheduled to leave Bombay tonight. So if someone saw a slightly bald man at the international airport trying to make a quick getaway, chances are u saw the Renault-Nissan CEO. He was apparently down here to check out the vendors first hand for outsourcing parts from India. Also up in the rumour mills is that, "probably Renault-Nissan is looking to setup a car plant here". Now isn't that just cool?

For those really serious on knowing more about the present day Lee Iacocca, albeit in Greek form, pay 120 bucks to your vendor and buy this week's Business Week and read up the cover story which features the man and his mission. Trust me, after reading that article, you'll just wanna start your lil' own company.

Revvmaster

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks