Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2024, 21:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai likely to debut Genesis brand in India by H2 of 2025

Hyundai has been planning to launch its luxury brand Genesis in India for a while now. According to a recent media report, we could see the brand drive into India by the second half of 2025.

Hyundai likely to debut Genesis brand in India by H2 of 2025-20201223062336_genesisgv70suv.jpg

The report goes on to state that Genesis has already greenlit the proposal to enter the Indian luxury car segment. The plan is now said to be in its execution phase. The automaker is expected to focus on SUVs and is reportedly evaluating the GV70 and GV80. The upcoming GV90 flagship SUV could also be offered in India.

Genesis SUVs will be imported into the country via the CBU route. However, reports do suggest that the vehicles will be eventually assembled locally at Hyundai's Sriperumbudur plant near Chennai.

The Genesis GV70 will compete with models like the Mercedes GLC and Audi Q5, while the GV80 SUV-coupe will take on the likes of the Mercedes GLE and BMW X5. The GV90 is still in its concept phase but will eventually rival the Mercedes-Benz GLS.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 21:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai likely to debut Genesis brand in India by H2 of 2025

Have yet to see a CBU success story in recent times. Even the earlier well priced cars like Superb become overpriced dead-on-arrival products when hit with the CBU taxes.

Don’t see how this can be price competitive when the German competition is locally made and obviously has higher snob value as well. Don’t know what these execs think tbh.
darkgamer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 22:05   #3
BHPian

Not every vehicle can be made to be brought in CKD or SKD route right off the bat - especially from luxury brands. I've been waiting for this particular brand to enter our market for a while now - truly incredible vehicles from the Genesis stables overseas. Considering Hyundai's track record in our country and overall shift in buying dynamics, I expect two things to happen sooner than later:

1. As we see people are being more and more brand agnostic, Genesis will slowly but surely start pulling luxury buyer's loyal to the German trio in due course.

2. Knowing how well the Koreans have read the Indian market, after the initial testing phase, they'll grab at the chance and make it a CKD sooner than later just like how they did with the Ioniq.

I only hope the initial batch of CBUs are not priced out of people's reach especially considering that Genesis - how much ever luxurious and well received they are overseas - is still not known as a true luxury brand in India. But seeing BYD was able to price the Seal so competitively as a CBU, I don't see why Hyundai can't with Genesis products.

They also make excellent EVs. Bring them on Hyundai. Pleased to see them take Indian market seriously.

Last edited by Hume : 5th May 2024 at 22:07.
Hume is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 22:33   #4
BHPian

Genesis will corner the 50-80L INR space effortlessly, if launched here. Only if parent Hyundai doesn't pull a Lexus with it the way Toyota did with pricing of course (i'm sure they won't, they do not have the brand cache).

Luxury car snobbery food chain:

(Mazda, Infiniti, Acura)<(Genesis, Volvo, Alfa)<(Audi, Lexus, Jaguar, Land Rover)<(BMW, Mercedes)<(Porsche, Maserati?, Range Rover)<(Bentley, RR)
ashivas89 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 08:24   #5
BHPian

10 years ago I wouldn't have picked the Koreans over the Germans but after seeing BMW sell the X1 with its circus show engines for around 70 lacs, maybe it's time for a change from legacy luxury brands.

1.5L 3 cylinder for 70 freaking lacs, what a sad joke. And it isn't even any sort of "don't judge a book by it's cover" type of engine which magically becomes faster when someone actually drives it, I've driven it and I've confirmed for myself that it is a full on clown show going on inside that hood.

The diesel is marginally better but still below average.

Maybe its time for the market to try something else.

Last edited by SaiSW : 6th May 2024 at 08:27.
SaiSW is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 11:25   #6
BHPian

Whatever said and done about Hyundai India, we have to give it to them for their courage(for bringing new brands- Kia and now Genesis) and the way they have brought products(Tucson, Santa Fe, Ioniq, EV6 to name a few although volumes maybe low) across segments here in India.

Less said the better for some other global giants like Toyota, Honda. Toyota have so much they can offer but resting on badge engineered products for their lineup below Innova. Honda is too slow to react to market conditions, during the hay days of diesel, they sat on developing one from scratch and launched a half baked Earthdreams diesel when the market was slowly gravitating towards petrol.

India is a tough market as said by many(Citreon India Head or someone) in the recent times, But, Hyundai sister brand Kia seem to have cracked that code to be successful in a very short span. Both Koreans (or their managements) are quick to react, bring in desirable products with desirable features, with quick refreshes in 2-3 years lifecycle, keeping them relevant in the cut-throat market.

And there are some players from past 3 decades still struggling not learning from past mistakes/mismanagement (VW group/Skoda), Ford(exited), GM/Chevy(exited), FIAT group (Stellantis brands-Jeep & Citroen now), Honda (has been reduced to 1 trick pony now).

Last edited by Quicksilver85 : 6th May 2024 at 11:27.
Quicksilver85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 12:23   #7
BHPian

Glad to see more competition in the luxury segment but I'm afraid with CBU, they could be priced well over 80-90 lacs and immediately put it out of range of buyers in the 50-60 lakh range.
Also, I hope Hyundai sets up separate showrooms and tailors an entirely different experience for its luxury products. Although I think they can do well if they make the right decisions, the brand value of the German trio in that segment is hard to match, and building up a reputation for luxury will take time.

The Koreans aren't floundering about in the mass market selling rebaded Marutis (looking at you Toyota), and it's nice to see them taking our market seriously and put out quality cars like the Ioniq 5, EV6, etc.
If they bring out ICE luxury products in that price range I don't see why they won't do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
1.5L 3 cylinder for 70 freaking lacs, what a sad joke. And it isn't even any sort of "don't judge a book by it's cover" type of engine which magically becomes faster when someone actually drives it, I've driven it and I've confirmed for myself that it is a full on clown show going on inside that hood.
This is exactly my point. I have reiterated that for entry-level luxury, say under 70 lakhs, BMW has dropped the ball. I daresay the only real value proposition in that segment is Audi. So more competition (provided a realistic price) would be welcome.

Last edited by sh3lby : 6th May 2024 at 12:30.
sh3lby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 12:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

One should touch and feel the G80 sedan to understand how the Germans have been milking the rest of the world dry.

A S-Class feels like a C-Class next to a G80. Stuff of dreams I tell you!

But is Hyundai A.S.S in India ready to behave like a Genesis A.s.s should, I doubt that. If Hyundai goes the NEXA way, then there is a very long shot.
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 13:04   #9

Have seen Genesis cars abroad and they are fantastic to be honest. The built quality is robust and interiors are far more premium that the BMWs, Mercedes and Audis of same price range.
As a customer we should appreciate the move to launch Genesis brand in India.
DrOrtho83 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 15:47   #10
BHPian

If CBU, I doubt buyers would buy a Hyundai over a competing European brand. At that price range, the brand prestige is key and Genesis just does not have the brand cache.

Even in US, it is strictly a poorer cousin of the actual luxury brands.
Bhodrolok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 16:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Genesis has my respect post their Athletic Elegance design language era.

They have become what I had hoped Lexus would be post TNGA instead of the fancy Toyotas they are today.

Whether it is the exterior styling or the interior designs, Genesis has gone all out. Maybe not for those who believe touchscreens are luxury, but those who value old school luxury touches, Genesis interiors are sweet.

Not sure if they still have the inline-6 diesel, but it would great if they would offer diesel too in the segment (highly unlikely) The GV70 would be a great start given it would be right sized and would also have the same 2.2l engine as the Carnival.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 17:40   #12
BHPian

Hyundai likely to debut Genesis brand in India by H2 of 2025-img_7087.jpg

Working near the Hyundai factory I get to see these cars multiple times a week and man oh man... these are sweet looking machines. Those black G80s and the white GV80s of the head honchos of Hyundai turn heads all around. Can't really comment on the performance since they are driven very calm.

Last edited by Sierra__foxtrot : 6th May 2024 at 17:46.
Sierra__foxtrot is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 10:48   #13
RMN
BHPian

Genesis can really eat into the sub 90L luxury market if they play it right. India could end up being their biggest market too. Got a feeler of them on my recent trip and absolutely loved it.

Also, I think the first brand to be impacted in India could be Volvo. Genesis and Volvo both aren't known to be exactly sporty, and I can see a lot of potential Volvo customer cross shopping. Genesis might even end up having a better support network than most luxury brand leveraging the Hyundai/KIA network!
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 14:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver85 View Post
And there are some players from past 3 decades still struggling not learning from past mistakes/mismanagement (VW group/Skoda), Ford(exited), GM/Chevy(exited), FIAT group (Stellantis brands-Jeep & Citroen now), Honda (has been reduced to 1 trick pony now).
Toyota's India strategy is downright pathetic. In a lot of developing countries, Toyota is the market leader. The same can be said for the first world countries as well. They have products at either end of the spectrum and yet sell only Innova and Fortuner in India.

A few years back, I was in Indonesia and Toyota was ruling the roads - they are a right hand drive country too. Particularly, I was impressed with Toyota Avanza, an entry level MPV that could easily sell like hot cakes in India.

They have the products, they have the market expertise, they know what products will sell and more importantly they have the brand trust. Yet, they don't want to try
karthis91 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 20:40   #15
BHPian

I wish to see the Hyundai Genesis and Toyota Century on the Indian roads, it will definitely change the Indian Car market and will make the Germans run for their money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks