Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: The LACK of which of these is the biggest deal breaker while buying a car?
Design 22 5.73%
Features & technology 8 2.08%
Safety 89 23.18%
Reliability 87 22.66%
Comfort 11 2.86%
Suspension 6 1.56%
Engine & driving dynamics 95 24.74%
Niggle-free and good ASS 53 13.80%
Brand reputation 5 1.30%
Others (please specify in your post) 8 2.08%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 18:40   #1
BHPian

The lack of which parameter is the biggest deal breaker while buying a car?

The car buying process isn’t a straightforward one. This is because we have a multitude of choices available in the market for a given budget, each of which have their own strengths and weaknesses. However, not all models will appeal to us because we all have a different priority set. Since a car is fundamentally expensive, we ideally make sure to do extensive research and get the right car according to our needs and preferences. Effectively, we eliminate many cars and narrow down our choice to that one car which meets most of our priorities. But the premise of this thread is not to understand why you chose that car, but to know the reason you rejected the other options. In other words, the lack of which parameter is the biggest deal breaker while buying a car? While I understand that a car may be rejected for multiple reasons, I’d like to know the primary reason. This is why the poll isn’t a multiple choice one.

The lack of which parameter is the biggest deal breaker while buying a car?-2023hyundaiverna01.jpg

In my case, a bad design will lead to immediate rejection from my side. Case in point = the new Verna is the best, most well-rounded sedan in the segment, but I would NEVER buy it because I hate the way it looks. Similarly, people have been raving about the XUV 3XO for its features, safety, powertrains, incredible value-for-money proposition and more, but thanks to its ugly design and proportions, I’d be better off with a Nexon or Sonet. I’d choose the Punch over the Exter and embrace its negatives instead of living with the weird-looking Hyundai. The design needn’t be the best, but it has to look decent at least. Only after rejecting cars based on design, do I proceed with the other parameters.

The lack of which parameter is the biggest deal breaker while buying a car?-2024_mahindra_xuv3xo_exterior_05.jpg

BHPians, your turn!
CentreOfGravity is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 19:30   #2
BHPian

Re: The lack of which parameter is the biggest deal breaker while buying a car?

For me, it's multiple!

First up!

Design : If the design is a bit meh, yuck, then it's outta the list straight away!

Engine & Driving Dynamics : It has to have that suspense, that wow factor, the torque pushing you in your seat. I'm okay with a okayish engine but not a dull one!

Features & Tech : For me, any car has to have Wireless AA/AC. Without that, it's just too basic for me. A good sounding speaker, ventilated seats would be a big plus!

Safety : Can't compromise on that now, can we?

Comfort : You want the people seated behind you to be impressed as well, right?

But the one that tops my list is Engine & Driving Dynamics, has to be!
nova.19_exe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 19:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Looks
2. Reliability & Safety- Given equal weightage
3. Handling
4. Nice free revving & refined engine.

My criteria of choosing cars is that first it should look good. Reliability along with decent safety is next criteria. I cannot ignore one for the other. So, equal weights assigned.
I have mostly owned cars with very decent, refined and free revving engines (Zen/ Civic/ City). So, I really appreciate cars with such engines and look for such traits. Also, as you can see from the list of cars above, all have been low slung and great handlers. I am not as comfortable sitting or driving an SUV/ compact SUV due to the associated body roll .
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 19:55   #4
BHPian

Well, I voted for Niggle free & Good A.S.S as a primary deal breaker and a few more secondary deal breakers such as engine and driving dynamics, design, safety, reliability and comfort in that order.

Residing in Goa, I have experienced first-hand that a niggle free ownership with a good / responsive service/repair provision is of utmost importance to me. Service centres are few and far and quality of repairs or knowledge among the technicians are below par leaving a letdown feeling everytime there's any minor issue with my vehicle.

I will restrict myself to only one primary deal breaker and not bother about other secondary deal-breakers as I wouldn't go ahead if my primary criteria is not met. I wouldn't compromise on that factor and other deal breakers become significantly less relevant.

Buying is a one time activity and experience. Living with the vehicle is going to be for a very long time, perhaps a decade or more (or less). So, once we settle down with our vehicle, the regular maintenance, service and repair becomes utmost important and when that aspect is compromised due to poor service/parts availability / repairs/ maintenance, then irrespective of the design, engine, comfort, safety or suspension, we will not be able to drive peacefully and enjoy the vehicle. Hence my deal breaker preference.

A point to note, I take my KTM Duke 390 to Mangalore (365 kms away from Goa) to get a good service as I don't have A S.S in Goa.

Last edited by ashkamath : 24th May 2024 at 20:11.
ashkamath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 20:12   #5
BHPian

As a recent Dad, for me it is definitely Safety. I can compromise on Looks, performance, FE, Features but cannot purchase an unsafe car.

For this reason, I skipped Creta / Seltos / Venue N-line, Sonet D AT, i20 N-line despite being impressed with their engines, looks, interiors and of course long list of features. I was smitten by N-line interiors and exteriors updates but coming from an Ecosport (build quality) all above options seemed deal breaker from a Safety point of view.

Ultimately, went with a Grand Vitara with 6 Airbags (4 Star platform).
Love4Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 20:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I voted for safety, but this is not true in every scenario.

Example, in a multiple car household, if one has primary family car(s) that is used mainly for longer city drives with family, highway drives and to the hills, safety is paramount.

But if a secondary car is needed just for local errands, at average speeds of 40kmph (note the word average), doing local city shop hopping navigating crowded traffic, even a smaller and relatvely less safer car would do for me. As long as I trust my own safe driving behaviour and drive within the means my machine is capable of.
DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 23:02   #7
BHPian

The most important factor for me when choosing a car is its reliability. Regardless of whether the car is a luxury model worth millions or a more affordable option priced at 500,000 rupees, I cannot enjoy driving if I constantly worry about the car breaking down.

When embarking on long journeys, the fear of the car malfunctioning at any moment is a constant source of stress. Without the assurance of reliability, driving becomes a chore rather than a pleasure.
vattyboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 23:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
The most important factor for me when choosing a car is its reliability. Regardless of whether the car is a luxury model worth millions or a more affordable option priced at 500,000 rupees, I cannot enjoy driving if I constantly worry about the car breaking down.

When embarking on long journeys, the fear of the car malfunctioning at any moment is a constant source of stress. Without the assurance of reliability, driving becomes a chore rather than a pleasure.
Copy that. Niggle free operation trumps everything else. I have been driving all sorts of cars for the last 2 decades, being in the automotive domain. Nothing pisses me off as an unreliable vehicle.

I do not trust the safety offered by any vehicle as in the end of the day, it's me inside a crushable can and there is no limit to human stupidity on the roads. Just say my prayers for being alive and not hurting others and move on.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 00:34   #9
BHPian

This should be a poll with 3 choices, for me it is in the following order.
1- Safety
2 - Reliability
3 - Design
This is the combination i look for in every purchase that i make regardless of the segment I’m shopping in.
A car can be beautiful but what is a beautiful car without safety and reliability?
A car can be absolutely reliable but then again what is a very reliable car if it doesn’t strike with your heart and you don’t feel butterflies in your stomach while looking at it,hence the design aspect.
Take out any of these and I won’t buy it.
Old 25th May 2024, 02:14   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

In my view, hassle-free and reliable service is what truly matters. Many of us have had negative experiences during the purchase and post-sales process, as dealers often prioritize profit over assembling the right team to provide empathetic, customer-centric service.

1. Most forum pages for various brands are filled with complaints about customer experience and repeated repairs.
2. The service team frequently fails to listen to customer feedback, leading to missed details, dissatisfaction, and a loss of confidence and trust, prompting customers to seek alternatives.
3. Similarly, sales experiences tend to start positively but turn sour by the time the car is finally purchased.

These issues are just the tip of the iceberg, and it seems that dealer management is not concerned with changing these perceptions. However, the silver lining is that this perception is gradually improving.

Recently, I had the opportunity to connect with a couple of industry experts who are rigorously taking on projects to revolutionize the business.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 07:27   #11
BHPian

For me the active/passive safety features fun to drive factor (driving dynamics/engine-gearbox tuning) are the main selection parameters.

Owned/own vw polo 1.2P , Polo gt TSI, honda city petrol mt, Chevy cruze D mt , ford Figo D S edition , ford Freestyle P and Xuv 700 AWD.
Old 25th May 2024, 08:10   #12
BHPian

For Me,

1) Engine, Driving Dynamics & Suspension - This I call mechanically sorted car & this stands first in priority list

2) Reliability, ASS & Parts Availabilty - Next priority comes to after sales services, parts availability and the quality of work & spares

Design & Looks - Another overhyped area, are you going to keep it in museum for rest of the life or sit inside & drive it ! I just like the car to be aerodynamically good, with reduced drag coefficient.

Safety - We have seen people die in 5 star rated cars and people who have been driving in zero star rated cars for 20 years. In the road it's all about your behavior, assumptions of other driver's behavior & Road Conditions - So safety is not something rated by bunch of people who do the tests at half the speed which we do in highways, it's all about people's mindset & conditions. Nowadays people think that getting a five star rated car will protect them eventhough they don't know to drive properly - totally wrong !

Brand Reputation
- It is a joke, do you think Maruti worries about our safety, did VW group worried about environment when indulging in diesel gate - No ! They doesn't care, they just want to sell ! I can only think of Volvo - the odd man out.

Note : Buy cars as per your needs, not based on the sales charts & Resale Values. Drive Safe & Enjoy Life

Last edited by Thyag : 25th May 2024 at 08:18.
Thyag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 08:14   #13
BHPian

1 . Engine and Driving dynamics . For me this is the heart and soul of any car. Choose Palio over Zen , Choose Vento 1.6 over all the other available cars. I used to drive long distance . In my Vento , I have been covering 900kms in a day sometimes and trust me never felt any fatigue. This made all my drives memorable. Not to forget with wonderful fuel efficiency. As on today Vento remains my choice whenever I want a kid out of me. Seating position, hand rest, view, gear change , back rest all these factors are most important for me to decide on buying any car.

On the other hand , my wife’s Jazz. Sorry but it fails in both the departments. Though Honda engine is very refined and quite but it just bores you when one struggles during pick up. Even design wise , I never felt in control of the car.
Old 25th May 2024, 09:06   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bad engine and / or AT gearbox. To me, the engine is the soul of the car and I absolutely need a great powertrain. Bad suspension I can fix in the aftermarket. But the engine & gearbox has to be top-class.

All my cars have great engines & transmissions.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 09:57   #15
BHPian

For me, its the design. How could one see an ugly car everyday? For eg. the new generation 7 series. Everything is great about the car except for the front design. However good the car is if it can't pass the design test then I'll be looking elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks