Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2007, 10:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

You spent 4 lakhs on a '98 Safari, why? And after you have done so why do you want to sell it?

Mine too is a '98 4x4. I haven't touched anything on it as yet and still don't want to sell it.

Sadly, yesterday my wife brushed its right rear side with a truck. I'm forlorn and in a bad mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkvc View Post
Guys mine first. i have a safari (4X4) that i baught 5 yesars ago. it is a 1998 model. i picked it up for 4.5 lakhs that time. now i have done up the whole car including engine,gear box,suspension, cd player with tv, sub woofer with 2 amps etc etc. now that i want to sell it i am not getting any thing more than 2.25 lakhs. i have spent about 4 lakhs on the car.

then my friend baught a brand now safari at the same time. and he sold his five years later and he got 3.5 lakhs for it. both the cars are in mint condition.

the safari's have a very bad resale value wonder why?.is this problem only in bangalore of is it all over the country and why.
Old 1st September 2007, 11:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Had I not have a Safari of my own then I would have upped the offer you are getting by another 50K...

Quote:
Guys mine first. i have a safari (4X4) that i baught 5 yesars ago. it is a 1998 model. i picked it up for 4.5 lakhs that time. now i have done up the whole car including engine,gear box,suspension, cd player with tv, sub woofer with 2 amps etc etc. now that i want to sell it i am not getting any thing more than 2.25 lakhs. i have spent about 4 lakhs on the car.

then my friend baught a brand now safari at the same time. and he sold his five years later and he got 3.5 lakhs for it. both the cars are in mint condition.

the safari's have a very bad resale value wonder why?.is this problem only in bangalore of is it all over the country and why.
Old 1st September 2007, 11:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Btw, how's the resale value of the 3.0 L Dicor ? For discussion sake, lets assume a 2006 Lx Dicor well maintained and completely stock.
Old 1st September 2007, 12:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Are you mocking him Doc, referring to a model light years away from launch and then with no assurance that your weekends will not be spent at the service centre for months together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
by the way why do you plan to sell her?
are you planning to go for the 2.2 too?or have you had enough of tata?
Old 2nd September 2007, 10:24   #20
BHPian

Why is there no answer for Why do you want to sell the Safari on which you spent a fortune. Suggestion: remove what all you can and transferr it to your new buy whatever it may be. Hope not a Safari again ---
Old 2nd September 2007, 11:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Once bitten , twice shy!! huh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
Hope not a Safari again ---
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yup the limited edition TCIC was 11Lacs OTR
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:58   #23

why do i want to sell it? i am fedup going to the garage on a bymontly basis, the other thing is that i want to go in for a newer model, the thing is that i travel a hell of a lot and my safari has done about 3.5 lakhs and the body i think is the next thing that is going to go so i rather sell it. but after all you guys are suggesting i am going to keep the car for a little langer and take a call later.
Old 3rd September 2007, 11:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thats a sensible decision, see this horror story, if you want to know more about newer models.

Quote:
why do i want to sell it? i am fedup going to the garage on a bymontly basis, the other thing is that i want to go in for a newer model, the thing is that i travel a hell of a lot and my safari has done about 3.5 lakhs and the body i think is the next thing that is going to go so i rather sell it. but after all you guys are suggesting i am going to keep the car for a little langer and take a call later.

Last edited by dadu : 3rd September 2007 at 11:59.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

I checked out 2 SAFARIs, got them valued at PRERANA, They valued a 2000 model one at 1,30,000 to 1,50,000 while the owner wants 2,20,000 and then they valued a 1999 model one at 1,10,000 to 1,30,000 and the owner wanted 2,00,000.

Very disappointed. The tragedy is when you want to sell you don't get the rate, when you want to buy also you don't get the rate.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Very disappointed. The tragedy is when you want to sell you don't get the rate, when you want to buy also you don't get the rate.
Very well said, I feel every second hand car seller and buyer face this situation. To overcome this tragedy, just increase your horizon and you will get benefited. IMHO second hand cars fetch much better price in smaller towns than in city like Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai. Big city people are more educated like us to over negotiate the things.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
This is the problem in most of the Tata vehicles...it is not only safari.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Keep it for some more time with you if you think prices are less but going forward you'll fetch even lesser resale value, news of a new model (2.2L) is in the air.
wow!!! now thats a good news!!

where did you get this information sir? and here comes the most expected question, any idea on the date/timeline?

Thanks

Avi

EDIT: plz ignore the above comment. was so excited, that I forgot that the current model is 2.2L :(
My mistake dadu. This thread was definetly brought out from the dead.

Mods: If possible, please delete this post.

Last edited by Avin : 29th December 2008 at 20:53.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

For the record, bought a 1998 Black SAFARI for 2,00,000.

The vehicle had 2 previous owners, and has 85,000 on the ododmeter.
Attached Thumbnails
Resale value of safari?-front-threefourths.jpg  

Old 5th January 2009, 11:31   #30

i have baught a 2.2 now and really happy with the car the breks, suspension, have been improved it is a pleasure to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks