Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Left Hand Drive - Should we switch to left hand drive?
YES! 11 16.67%
Why bother?! 55 83.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2004, 01:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Get that new Jeep concept vehicle.. that can be converted to LHD or RHD at a touch of a button...and drive in whatever direction u want!!!!
Old 2nd November 2004, 01:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

i have a better idea..
lets have cars in which the driver sits in the middle..
that way we can get the McLaren F1
Old 2nd November 2004, 04:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

No ways.Its gonna be an absolute disaster.
How many driver do u see on daily basis driving RHDs perfectly?? Veryyy few of em.And if we gotta switch to LHD,then Gawd bless us all!
So just dunt bother.

X
Old 2nd November 2004, 23:15   #34
BHPian

Why bother is the right answer its not going to change anything its up up to drivers who ride and drive to respect the laws of the road if u ask me!

Old 23rd May 2009, 13:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nice old thread. I would go with LHD. Why? Most of the world does the same. Only Japan and Britain (and it's colonies) use RHD. Macau, Mozambique, Goa, Daman, Diu, Dadra, Nagar Haveli were Portuguese colonies but has RHD as the areas surrounding them were RHD. When Sweden switched to LHD in 1967, accidents that year reduced by 60%. Don't ask me how or why.
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:18   #36
BHPian

There would be total chaos! I think it's impractical to switch to driving on the other side of the road, especially in India. We aren't able to get people to maintain lane discipline - how on earth do you think we'll get them to start driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

I think we get enough cool cars in RHD versions. I'd suggest the govt. spend more money to enforce disciplined driving, at least in cities.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong.

If we drive in the left side of the road, it is better to have the Right hand drive to get better control of the vehicle and to judge the vehicles comes from the opposite direction.

So what we have now is the right system, LHD will only be a mess.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:32   #38
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Correct me if I am wrong.

If we drive in the left side of the road, it is better to have the Right hand drive to get better control of the vehicle and to judge the vehicles comes from the opposite direction.

So what we have now is the right system, LHD will only be a mess.
The topic is about changing the whole system i.e. the cars and the traffic.

Anyways, I saw this on wikipedia Right- and left-hand traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, apparently there are a lot of people in the world who drive on the left side of the road . I'm sure India counts for more than half of those, but wikipedia made a mistake, they assumed that all Indian's drive on the left side of the road.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:47   #39
BHPian

So the only reason for switching to LHD is that bunch of guys can import bunch of cars?

Dumb IMO.

One can always import from Japan instead, if required.

LH/RH roads dont make any difference, because it is exact inverted order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Nice old thread. I would go with LHD. Why? Most of the world does the same. Only Japan and Britain (and it's colonies) use RHD. Macau, Mozambique, Goa, Daman, Diu, Dadra, Nagar Haveli were Portuguese colonies but has RHD as the areas surrounding them were RHD. When Sweden switched to LHD in 1967, accidents that year reduced by 60%. Don't ask me how or why.
Please confirm!

Quote:
Safety factors

Research in 1969 by J. J. Leeming showed countries driving on the left have a lower collision rate than countries driving on the right. It has been suggested this is partly because humans are more commonly right-eye dominant than left-eye dominant.[18][19][20] In left-hand traffic, the predominantly better-performing right eye is used to monitor oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror. In right-hand traffic, oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror are handled by the predominantly weaker left eye. Some countries that have switched to driving on the right, such as Sweden, have seen their collision rates increase out of proportion to the increase in traffic volume.[
The same wikipedia link claims the opposite, that RHD is better.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2009 at 13:49. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Please confirm!

The same wikipedia link claims the opposite, that RHD is better.
If RHD was better, wouldn't everyone or at least some countries have switched from LHD to RHD? And then why did Sweden switch from RHD to LHD when they already had the "Better" RHD?
Old 25th May 2009, 12:23   #41
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
If RHD was better, wouldn't everyone or at least some countries have switched from LHD to RHD? And then why did Sweden switch from RHD to LHD when they already had the "Better" RHD?
To come in sync with the other surrounding countries? Otherwise they won't be able to drive through.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:51   #42
Team-BHP Support

Heres another interesting and related thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-driving.html

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks