Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2004, 12:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

hi guys
as all of you know
my cousin was the first to buy the tavera in hyd, well he is pretty unhappy with it,
it's a third highest version,
so far it has done 2080kms, and most likely he is gonna sell it the next month, and buy a tata safari

in this short 50 days, he has faced a lot of engine problems and according to him the service guys are planning to remove the engine for a complete re build

i havent seen the vehicle, but accoring to my cousin from the day one, there was some odd sound from the engine increasing day by day!

just a week back a truck rammed into from the rear, and according to him he wasnt impressed by the build quailty

the only good features of the vehicle according to him were the space and a/c of the vehicle
will keep you guys updated as to what happens
Old 8th August 2004, 12:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Exactly wat i thought.. the only good part of the car is the Space and the A/c. Other than that the car isnt all that good. I remember testing the top end version which had a ridiculously sick interior..especially that gear knob..as I had said before looks like taken from some BEST Bus. At that test drive they showed me the comparision article from Autocar Scorpio vs Tavera vs Qualis... and wat they say is that the Tavera is better than both of them... god knows in wat sense.....better go and buy a Scorpio or a Tempo Trax for that matter!!

Ps: shudnt this be in the Team-bhp review section??
Old 8th August 2004, 12:39   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Also they have compromised a lot on the interior features to make the price less. The front doors do not have an arm rest like the Qualis. Instead they have a handle [like the one you have above the windows].
The Tavera does look good, but its better to wait and watch before buyig one. Anyways aadix, why is your couisn buying a Safari?? A Scorpio would be a better choice. Can use the extra cash in modifying it.
Old 8th August 2004, 12:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ Aug. 08 2004,11:09)]Also they have compromised a lot on the interior features to make the price less. The front doors do not have an arm rest like the Qualis. Instead they have a handle [like the one you have above the windows].
hahah! Wat if they hadnt done this cost cutting?? the cars price would exceed 10
In the 7-8 lac version.. they dont provide u with the third stop lamp too.!!
Old 8th August 2004, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ Aug. 08 2004,11:09)]why is your couisn buying a Safari?? A Scorpio would be a better choice.
hey v12
he didnt like the scoprio and all these years he has a tata sierra turbo, so he wants to go in for a tata product, not the top of the line but the base lx version,,
alttough he is stilll dreaming abt the endeavour, but at this point he might not buy such an expesnive vehicle
Old 8th August 2004, 13:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Tavera is'nt that great a car as my friend told me who took a test drive.
he feels the engine a little sluggish.

aadix
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]...........buy a tata safari
But, doesn't the Safari have some gear box problem??
Old 8th August 2004, 14:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey shravan, i beleieve it does, but that wont cause any problems, till now ihavent faced any gearbox problems on mine (did 81 k kims till now!)
Old 8th August 2004, 15:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ Aug. 08 2004,12:56)]hey shravan, i beleieve it does, but that wont cause any problems, till now ihavent faced any gearbox problems on mine (did 81 k kims till now!)
What is the G'box problem exactly??
Old 8th August 2004, 17:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

the gearbox in some cases makes a clattering/grating noise, it's a minor manufacturing defect which tata doesnt seems to be bother to clear it, in some cars the sound is next to nothing, while in some it's very loud
Old 8th August 2004, 22:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

man i knew the tavera sux......
not checked it out but plannin on doin so .......
aadix
just tellure bro to go for the safari...
one of my relatives owned one but it had some problem so he called up ratan tata - yes the chrman of tata actually spoke to him and not some secretary - anyway they were given a new car and after that , whenever a new version was launched the engineers would come and spruce the safari up ...
anywy he has sold it now
Old 9th August 2004, 00:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

woah coool lambo!!!

was this a green colour mh reg safari???
Old 9th August 2004, 02:20   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ Aug. 08 2004,11:00)]in this short 50 days, he has faced a lot of engine problems and according to him the service guys are planning to remove the engine for a complete re build
I don't understand this aadix. What is complete re-build?

I'm not trying to support GM here but your cousin's problems seem to be be pretty abnormal.

Don't get me wrong. I think you need to check this properly.

GM is over loaded with orders for next one and a half month at least.
Old 9th August 2004, 02:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

i agree with rudra as even i drove a friends tavera and he seemed quite happy with it.he is alsovery happy with it.
what is the knob on the RHS just below the ignition key.i heard it is used to change the rpm.
can any1 pls tell wat is it used for.
Old 9th August 2004, 12:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

i too dont know rudra
but it seems thats what the service engineers told him, he is pretty upset and trying to manage his busy schedule(he is a surgeon as well as a farmer) so couldnt meet him, but one things for sure , the car's been giving him trouble from day one, infact he is regretting his desicion to take the first vehicle amdist much fanfare now,

yesterday night during a telephonic conversation, it seems that the gm guys promised him a new vehicle if this problem doesnt get solved, so looks like the service has improved like hell!
Old 9th August 2004, 13:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

i think this is a one off case, usually can happen to anyone.. had seen brand new esteems getting whole engine replacements as well as umpteen sieras getting the same when they were launched.. and thats my view of Tata quality.. v good at being inconsistent..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks