20% to 24% 4 7.27%
24% to 28% 1 1.82%
28% to 35% 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 09:32   #1
BHPian

Average Depreciation of Cars in India

This is for academic interest as well as helping me making a decision on whether to go for a new/ used vehicle.

I searched through this web-site and could not find any links on depreciation so thought of starting this poll.

Basically, i am interested in knowing that how much does the cost of a vehicle depreciate year-on-year in India. What are the manufacturers, whose vehicles' cost depreciates substantially, whereas the manufacturers whose vehicles hold their value over a period of time.

I am interested in knowing your thoughts on this thread as well
Old 12th September 2007, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is no need for a poll, you should have looked at the Income tax website, the (correct) answer for all will be same for private vehicles i.e. 15%, , for commercial vehicles its 40%, its the law not a choice.

See here under 'III. Plant and Machinery'
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2007, 19:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
There is no need for a poll, you should have looked at the Income tax website, the (correct) answer for all will be same for private vehicles i.e. 15%, , for commercial vehicles its 40%, its the law not a choice.

See here under 'III. Plant and Machinery'
Dadu,

Thanks for the information, that was quite helpful. But, in the resale market those statistics are of no use right? People who are selling used cars are asking for irrational prices for their vehicles. So in other words, i am trying to find out how much value of the original value does an average passenger vehicle hold year-on-year.

Manish
Old 12th September 2007, 21:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Such a poll is also helpfule for people willing to sell their cars. It seems, when people are trying to sell their cars, they get peanuts, at the same time, when people buy them they complain of irrational prices, middlemen take the cake.
Old 13th September 2007, 10:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very difficult to ascertain even through a poll since it will be dependent upon many factors :

- Which car are you trying to sell, each one has its own demand/supply.
- Year of purchase
- Condition of the car, this is unique to each car
- In which city are you trying to sell, market forces
- Model of the car, if new models are launched afterwards/obsoleted, resale might go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
Dadu,

Thanks for the information, that was quite helpful. But, in the resale market those statistics are of no use right? People who are selling used cars are asking for irrational prices for their vehicles. So in other words, i am trying to find out how much value of the original value does an average passenger vehicle hold year-on-year.

Manish
Old 13th September 2007, 10:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

20% for the first year
15% for the second year
10% for the third year.

But, the market also operates in a different way by taking the demand of a car into account.
Old 13th September 2007, 10:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Such a poll is also helpfule for people willing to sell their cars. It seems, when people are trying to sell their cars, they get peanuts, at the same time, when people buy them they complain of irrational prices, middlemen take the cake.
Totally Agreed, I am with you 100% !!
Old 13th September 2007, 10:33   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Are you talking about book depreciation or real-world deduction in value? For book depreciation, there are already exacting formula. However, Ajmats excellent article (ARTICLE: Resale Value - The Silent Killer) covers all the factors that affect actual depreciation / resale value.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2007, 16:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Are you talking about book depreciation or real-world deduction in value? For book depreciation, there are already exacting formula. However, Ajmats excellent article (ARTICLE: Resale Value - The Silent Killer) covers all the factors that affect actual depreciation / resale value.
Thanks GTO,

The article is really interesting.

If wishes were horses, people would fly.. Alas the real world is so different from the book-world.. Its the same as the difference between Theory/ Practice.
Old 15th November 2007, 23:33   #10
BANNED

Used Cars, New Cars, Buy Car, Sell Car, New Car Pricing, Used Car Values, Car Loan, Car Insurance - CarWale.com India

Above site has a tool which tells you the value of your car. Comparing the results with current market price gives you an idea.

I have compared Skoda cars with Honda Civic (you know why), and found

Skoda depreciation for first year is only 6%, while Civic's depreciation for first year is 15% !!

Is this correct ? Should I reconsider my plan to go for Civic :-)
swageo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 22:11   #11
MrA
BHPian

Re: Average Depreciation of Cars in India

Guys, could you please give any suggestions regarding car valuation reports available on various websites like cartrade, indianbluebook, carwale etc. I'm trying to purchase a used 2014 Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX VTVT in Srinagar. New car costs around 11L OTR and these websites are evaluating the car at around 7.5L, is the evaluation right? The car is in good condition and has run about 8000Kms.
Old 8th May 2015, 10:25   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrA View Post
Guys, could you please give any suggestions regarding car valuation reports available on various websites like cartrade, indianbluebook, carwale etc. I'm trying to purchase a used 2014 Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX VTVT in Srinagar. New car costs around 11L OTR and these websites are evaluating the car at around 7.5L, is the evaluation right? The car is in good condition and has run about 8000Kms.
Hello Mr. A, Welcome to the forum.

T-BHP has a dedicated link to value a car, based on the model, year, mileage and the usual suspects.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/used-car-price-check/

Explore the site buddy, you will find things you thought never existed
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 02:04   #13
MrA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Hello Mr. A, Welcome to the forum.

T-BHP has a dedicated link to value a car, based on the model, year, mileage and the usual suspects.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/used-car-price-check/

Explore the site buddy, you will find things you thought never existed
Thanks buddy, wasn't aware of it. It seems like the valuation tool of Team-BHP is powered by IBB, have already checked the value over there. I've tried various sites like mahindrafinance, zigwheels, carwale and IBB, valuation is considerably different on each of these sites. Wondering if the value calculated is in-fact the real value or at-least in the ballpark.
Old 11th May 2015, 06:22   #14
MSC
BHPian

The resale value of car is dependent upon number of other factors.
1. Some brands like Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai will always have a better resale value when compared to some other brands e.g. say a Chevrolet.
2. Top selling car models like Swift , Alto , i10 etc command a premium over market duds like Sail .
3. Resale value is again dependent on the physical and mechanical condition of vehicle. Higher is the equipment level , higher is the resale value. For example , a Maruti Suzuki Swift in stock condition will definitely have a lower value in comparison to a Maruti Swift jacked up with high end music system including amplifiers and woofers , Alloy wheels , Premium leather upholstery etc.
Old 11th May 2015, 10:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
3. Resale value is again dependent on the physical and mechanical condition of vehicle. Higher is the equipment level , higher is the resale value. For example , a Maruti Suzuki Swift in stock condition will definitely have a lower value in comparison to a Maruti Swift jacked up with high end music system including amplifiers and woofers , Alloy wheels , Premium leather upholstery etc.
Not necessarily, a shrewd buyer may discount accessories like music systems, upholstery etc while negotiating. Its your choice then as a seller to strip these and offer the car in stock condition. Unless I see utility in some of the accessories I will always bargain on what comes as stock

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th May 2015 at 10:09. Reason: Fixing quotes, thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks