Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2007, 00:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

I'm assuming the old Lancer is not featuring in this debate...
From the rest, Fiesta 1.6 and Optra Magnum.
In case someone feels a diesel should not feature in this list, td a Magnum

I would like to add Cedia to the list, but somehow I feel it's stayed in the shadow of its predecessor, just like the NHC lives in the shadow of the OHC.
Old 19th September 2007, 01:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
SX4 is not a car, if anyone wants to compare it with a baleno or an OHC, he must seriously not know what is a drivers' car. SX4 feels like a safari, i mean the Tata safari, that is to say it is almost like a lorry with the ease of driving of a car. It is most certainly not a driver's car. The fiesta is probably close to that & the verna.
I second that. After driving a Baleno, I found the "basic" driving comfort missing in the car, which is a bottleneck. While test driving a SX4, I took a U-turn around a circle (of course, it was a right turn, lol) at a moderate pace. I felt like the car was throwing me out of the driver's window. I thought I'd hang onto the door like from a cliff and climb back in. The low lying comfort, the nirvana that Baleno has, is definitely not there.

Besides, am I the only one who feels that SX4 gearshift is bad? I found it to be tooooo hard. Or maybe it was too new.
Old 19th September 2007, 01:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well well... for selfish end , I would say its gonna be SX4.. two reasons - I own it and secondly, it drives so well .. take it on highway or a little offroad and you will know what I am pointing at...

Having said that, for enthusiast drive, it has to be Cedia SPORT... it's as simple as that..

Last edited by DCEite : 19th September 2007 at 08:59. Reason: Please dont use more than 2 smilies per post. Thanks.
Old 19th September 2007, 01:52   #34

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So, a driver's car is the one with lowest seating?

I do not own the SX4. Why i asked is that- Overdrive has said that the SX4 was the best car to drive on track, their driver's car of the lot. Also, SX4 hatch is getting ready for rally. So, is it worth the tag?

Agree to the fiesta part. Its a driver's car alright. Everything feels so communicative. But not the Verna- its good for ride comfort, not for handling.
it is also mentioned in the mag that the sx4 has a little too light steering feel.and the engine doesnt like being revved.stay in the torque band and you will enjoy,try to redline and the engine gets harsh whereas the fiesta loves being revved to its 7000rpm limit.
i would vote for the fusion 1.6.if anybody has driven the fiesta 1.6...go try the fusion 1.6,its even better(the larger 15" wheels and a stiffer suspension make it handle brilliantly).i havent driven the cedia to an extent where i can gauge its handling potential but yes,going by the lancers standard,it would be good.
Old 19th September 2007, 07:38   #35
Ram
Senior - BHPian

I think as inflation drives prices up, we will find smaller, weaker and lower segment cars at the same prices as the old values.

The case of a cheap imported disposable plastic ball pen being sold for more than a domestic metal fountain pen. While the good imported plastic-bodied fountain pen -- Mont-Blanc, comes in at an incredible new high price.

I first encountered an example of this pricing paradox when a showroom Mahindra MM-540-DP 4x4 with a 2112 cc Peugeot diesel was cheaper than the Maruti MG410 Gypsy with its 993 cc petrol engine. Indian Auto went so far as to actually compare the two vehicles head to head.

Isn't it entirely believable that some family replaced their 1956 Plymouth Savoy with a Standard 2000. Then the Standard 2000 with a Contessa. Then the Contessa with a Baleno. All the time being talked into less value for higher price.

With the departure of the Baleno, a Fiesta-Ikon comes to roost at that price. And then is replaced by a diesel Swift sedan at a higher price. People go ga-ga comparing the Swift to a BMW-built Mini. Finally the Volkswagen successor of the Suzuki Alto (VW Polo or some **** like that) displaces the Mini at a much higher price.

Somewhere down the inflation line, people forget the Plymouth Savoy to VW Polo journey into ruin.

All the while under the influence of car mags/gurus/websites, with their eyes wide shut, spin-doctoring the latest computerized 4-wheel-rickshaws as being so much better than the safe highway cruisers they replaced.
Old 19th September 2007, 09:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
how about the new Hyundai Verna CRDi SX?

i am pretty certain that you have not driven a verna CRDI around a corner at 80kph. If you did, you would never make this statement!
Old 19th September 2007, 09:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

while the SX4 seems to have the right ingredients on paper, the car just does not cut it for me. Sure, it is a good car and terrific VFM.....BUT, drove it back to back with a baleno enthusiastically, and you will know the difference. In a baleno (and also the OCH) everything falls to hand almost intuitively for a dirver.

I am not saying that these cars were perfect-far from it- but when it came to driver involvement, appeal and FTD factor, it takes a lot to beat these cars.
Old 19th September 2007, 10:23   #38
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
while the SX4 seems to have the right ingredients on paper, the car just does not cut it for me. Sure, it is a good car and terrific VFM.....BUT, drove it back to back with a baleno enthusiastically, and you will know the difference. In a baleno (and also the OCH) everything falls to hand almost intuitively for a dirver.

I am not saying that these cars were perfect-far from it- but when it came to driver involvement, appeal and FTD factor, it takes a lot to beat these cars.
@himanshugoswami. Still would rebodying a Ford Fusion with a dikky make it a car? It would still be too SUV crossover-like. Big wheels, high ground clearance. Too much body roll on corners. That's what the SX4 is all about. They are not at all the right ingredients.

Maruti doesn't yet have a replacement for the Baleno. That doesn't give them license to position a crossover SUV, as a passenger sedan.

IMHO, the closest replacement in spirit to the Baleno/OHC is the Daewoo (sorry Chevrolet badged) Optra.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
While test driving a SX4, I took a U-turn around a circle (of course, it was a right turn, lol) at a moderate pace. I felt like the car was throwing me out of the driver's window.
OT:
Raghu, am having a tough time picturing a right turn throwing you out of the driver's window (assuming there are no LHD SX4s in India)
Old 19th September 2007, 11:42   #40
BHPian

Very surprised to see very few mentioning about the esteem, Its a great driver's car! Surely agree its outdated and might feel a bit uneasy at high speeds but the driving pleasure is definetly there and driving position is great! its low swung and with a few basic mods it can really move well. The engine rev's well and its great to hear. Too bad it's going to be phased out soon, but its a real good performance sedan this side of 1.3 lt category. Your comments guy's?

Last edited by redrage : 19th September 2007 at 11:44.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:44   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Verna is a fun to drive car.it may not handle like ikon but the way it accelerates from 2000rpm in any gear and is at around 2000rpm @ 100kmph in fifth cog still being able to consume half the fuel (compared to a ikon 1.6 or accent 1.5)is a satisfying experience,same goes for magnum.

I dont know how many people in our country can use feedback from the steering or can tell how much is understeer in the car all they know is if the steering is light its bad.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
OT:
Raghu, am having a tough time picturing a right turn throwing you out of the driver's window (assuming there are no LHD SX4s in India)
lol. I get what you're trying to say.

Well let me put it clearly, when I take a U-turn, I have to look to the right. Now the issue is, since the car is too tall, I feel like the car is bending a little too much towards to right (because the right suspensions are acting?) and this bend seems too much, since I'm used to the Baleno low lying comfort. I may be wrong with the interpretation about the bend, but I can't be wrong about the strange feeling that I got, because it is 100% mine

I think the reverse feeling, due to inertia, which you mentioned is for co-passengers. Of course the driver has it, but it would be lesser because of the steering
Old 19th September 2007, 12:51   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Hey himanshu ...
Please add Zen to it .... I know it's small car when compared with OHC n Baleno.. but It still has many many fans following...
And the Alto 1.1....

Don't worry, the successors are emerging in a surprizing form and from an innocent and ignorant source....

Multijet family from Fiat brought to you by Maruti!
Old 19th September 2007, 12:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
And the Alto 1.1....

Don't worry, the successors are emerging in a surprizing form and from an innocent and ignorant source....

Multijet family from Fiat brought to you by Maruti!
how can the alto 1.1 be a successor to the OHC or the Baleno. That car was discontinued much before either of these!!!!
Old 19th September 2007, 13:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So, a driver's car is the one with lowest seating?

I do not own the SX4. Why i asked is that- Overdrive has said that the SX4 was the best car to drive on track, their driver's car of the lot. Also, SX4 hatch is getting ready for rally. So, is it worth the tag?

Agree to the fiesta part. Its a driver's car alright. Everything feels so communicative. But not the Verna- its good for ride comfort, not for handling.
Please drive one & don't go by opinions of people in mags or in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Besides, am I the only one who feels that SX4 gearshift is bad? I found it to be tooooo hard. Or maybe it was too new.
No, it is just fine, maybe you had a car with a bad gearshift. It is certainly not soft, but precise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks