Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 17:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
hey..guys, i am buying the civic next week. i am shocked to know about the suspension problem. i do not ride with full load very often, will it prove to be a problem then. is this problem a major issue even in the new models and the 1.8v also. should i be buying this car or not because of this problem..is it that big a problem.
I suggest you read this thread in detail

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...vic-mt-40.html

Is there a suspension "problem"? No. Is there a soft suspension? Yes.

Result: On the negative side, firmer ride and suspension bottoming out with 5 people and luggage if you go over a big pothole. Could scrape big speedbreakers with the same no. of people & luggage.

On the positive side, glides over rough roads. If you have an uneven road the car glides over it and you don't feel the jerks.

I have a wife with a slipped disc whom I take to the doctor regularly. She feels more comfortable in the Civic when I drive over the bad roads in my area.

However she feels the suspension bottoming out over potholes if she sits at the back a bit discomforting (She's used to the Matiz that I have).

However the unknown factor is whether after 30K or 40K the suspension is going to go for a toss. I'm sure Honda will get rapped if that happens.
Old 1st October 2007, 20:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I suggest you read this thread in detail

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...vic-mt-40.html

Is there a suspension "problem"? No. Is there a soft suspension? Yes.

Result: On the negative side, firmer ride and suspension bottoming out with 5 people and luggage if you go over a big pothole. Could scrape big speedbreakers with the same no. of people & luggage.

On the positive side, glides over rough roads. If you have an uneven road the car glides over it and you don't feel the jerks.

I have a wife with a slipped disc whom I take to the doctor regularly. She feels more comfortable in the Civic when I drive over the bad roads in my area.

However she feels the suspension bottoming out over potholes if she sits at the back a bit discomforting (She's used to the Matiz that I have).

However the unknown factor is whether after 30K or 40K the suspension is going to go for a toss. I'm sure Honda will get rapped if that happens.
I expect the problem in suspension even before 30-40000 km, I have already reported on very uneven wear (Iriver wear) of my rear tyres which have been replaced at 17000 km under warranty.
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankarm@sancha View Post
I expect the problem in suspension even before 30-40000 km, I have already reported on very uneven wear (Iriver wear) of my rear tyres which have been replaced at 17000 km under warranty.
Yes, I've your issue very much in mind. Will keep watching out for the signs. How did you find out about tyre wear? Was a casual check enough or did you have it checked by a tyre wallah?
Old 2nd October 2007, 05:46   #34

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Well said, Amit. When a Fiesta was reported with a water logging issue, there was a lot of hue and cry over it. When a member reported the case of a CRV which failed under similar circumstances, it was forgiven, and no one even bothered to rake up the issue.

Hail O' mighty H.
the swift,sx4 have been criticized for having bad build quality(interior trim keeps falling off),the civic has a very soft suspension leading to owners showing discomfort to the extent that some of them are even canceling their orders.but,we aren't really bothered and just waive it off while if some other manufacturer apart from suzuki or honda has the same problems we continue bashing that manufacturer.and guess what,honda and suzuki are recording the maximum number of sales.
i think its high time we stop praising Honda.
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Sell it off before people become aware of the problem.

Yesterdays Times Drive had a few Honda Civics 2007 up for sale in the classifieds section, I was wondering after spending a bomb why would one want to sell this wonderful vehicle so soon.

Guess you have answered that one.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Official: Mid-Day report on Civic Suspension issue-toi-02.05.08.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2008, 18:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Lat month i went to see a 2008 civic i noticed the ground cleareance was a little more than the NHC as they both were standing side-by-side in the showroom,have anyone noticed it??I think they did some changes for our Indian roads or might have stiffened the rear suspension.
Old 3rd May 2008, 19:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

It really creates problem.

When my relative came to me asking for Opinion on which car to go for with the budget of Rs. 12-13Lakh, Civic was an instant option. They test drove the car in A'bad where they live, but the only negative point was suspension bottoming out.

If you remember, there was a car called Fiat Uno. They bought one, and while on one wonderful trip to Mount Abu, there was a small stone on the road. The driver ( who was my uncle and at that time he had drive 800 for more than 1.5lakh with out engine overhaul and then bought uno ) decided to take that in betwwen the wheels.
I hope you are all able to understand what it means. But that stone could scrap the underbody of Uno. Repairing cost was 3 Lakh and The service was bad. They repaired and kept the car and now they wanted Civic, but the sound of bottoming out dropped civic off the radar.

They now own SX4 ZXi. No problem as far as suspension or powertrain are concerned. But the interior build quality is not that good ( as per their review ).

The problem of Soft suspension is just an excuse. Accent also had quite soft suspension, but the bottoming issue want not so huge.

The bad part is Honda not taking it seriously. Honda suspension has been a cause of concern for city also, wheather Old/Original Honda City ( OHC ) or New Honda City ( NHC ) and now civic also is facing a lot of problems. A great car that has space, pace and everything is having one negative point that could have been solved by Honda in the first place.
Old 3rd May 2008, 20:36   #38
BHPian

Oh Boy!

I always used to wonder how low the car is, and here is something which authenticates it.

Btw, we had this problem in the old zen as well, yes, but only on a full load.

Did anybody face this in old zen?
Old 3rd May 2008, 23:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
unfortunately, the Indian mentality is still that if it is Phoren, it is good.
This is off-topic, but I still feel it's relevant. I completely agree with Himangshu. Our colonial hangover is still not over. If the company is from abroad, it has to be reliable, even though they commit mistakes, remains ignorant about their mistakes and have taken their customers for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
For years now, Honda and skoda's A.S.S. has been amongst the WORST with no improvement at all. still, people follow the herd mentality and buy their cars in droves.

on the other hand, people continupsly lament about Tata motors, whereas the plain fact is that not only has tata been continuously improving their products, but has taken huge strides in improving customer service. sure they still have miles to go, but at least they have acknowledged the problem and are doing something about it, unlike these high and mighty phirangs!!

time to boycott these foreign car makers, till they realise that indian cannot be taken for a ride (pardon the pun!)

cheers

himanshu
Again I fully agree with you. If now a desi company makes the same mistake, we will bash them through whatever way we can, though the compnay admits that they committed a mistake and tries to rectify it.

Honda has an established their brand image in India and they know there is nothing to lose even if they sell something inferior compared to their competitors.
Old 4th May 2008, 06:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Repairing cost was 3 Lakh
Sorry for being

But repairing cost of 3 Lakhs for a car worth 4 Lakhs?

I agree with everything else you said, but please don't exaggerate the figures and if you still want to claim the figure as genuine, then sorry I have no words for you! (or your relative)
Old 4th May 2008, 09:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yes agree with you.

The figure was told to me. I have not seen the bill, but the entire engine block was to be replaced. The FIAT cheated the customers. The gearbox was to be changed entirely. The complete exhaust system, Fuel tank was also replaced. Yes even I felt the figure was wrong, but even though they knew they were cheated, they paid the bill.

I have just seen the entry in account statement.
Yes the figure looks extremely exaggerated, but thats the truth. The explanation was that engine block was not in stock and has to be brought from Italy.

No doubt, they are never ready to even step into fiat showroom again.
The service took more than 45 days.
Quote:
I agree with everything else you said, but please don't exaggerate the figures and if you still want to claim the figure as genuine, then sorry I have no words for you! (or your relative)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks