Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 06:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

While the Opel may be a better car, the lancer was easier to drive, cheaper to maintain, looked better, gave a better FE and was more powerful as well.
The Opel was just better built and was way more comfortable.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:37   #17
NIP
Senior - BHPian

astra sipped too much petrol and was notorious for it. that was why it didnt sell...period. lancer has way better fuel economy. also i think astra spares had astronomical prices...services used to end up very expensive. and the cabin was cramped. nowhere as airy as the lancer.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:50   #18
BHPian

No other car comes close (at least in the segment) when it comes to a solid ride. Even I feel quite jittery throwing other cars around corners. By the way, i own a Corsa and he makes me feel like no other. Maybe, this will be of some interest to you guys.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...er-meaner.html
Old 16th October 2007, 21:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
astra sipped too much petrol and was notorious for it. that was why it didnt sell...period. lancer has way better fuel economy. also i think astra spares had astronomical prices...services used to end up very expensive. and the cabin was cramped. nowhere as airy as the lancer.
NIP, i used to feel that the Astra had a roomy interior. Foot space was much better in the Astra,than in most other vehicles that I had been in. The seats were broad and provided lots of support for long-legged people.
Old 17th October 2007, 01:01   #20
BHPian

I had driven the Two Extensively and all i can say is OPEL was good in only one way BETTER CAR it you went to Crash It some where ,Rest every where LANCER IS BETTER car
Old 17th October 2007, 01:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Lancer had the looks which the Astra lacked.
Old 17th October 2007, 01:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

True. The Astra sure had the typical Euro look. I remember when the Lancer SFX came out,in comparison the Astra looked really dated.
Old 17th October 2007, 06:31   #23
BHPian

As evident from the other posts here there are two aspects where Astra is really good. Build quality and ride.

Infact, the ride quality is next only to mercs. But these two things are not sufficient to succeed in Indian market where equal or higher priority is given to fuel efficiency,service/spares cost and looks. The last one is subjective though as I feel it is a good looker...especially the two tone silver in club version.

I would love to own another one but my head says no and my heart says yes. Enough love and hate experiences till now.
Old 20th October 2007, 18:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Astra was a great car to own & drive other than the fact that the engine was not peppy or was rather sluggish. But was definately a great cruiser. It looked and felt stately. Highway drives were a pleasure. Wish it had a more powerful engine.

The Lancer in comparison was much lighter to use in city traffic as stated by other members. Decent FE & decent build quality were a bonus over the Astra. The Astra was overpriced but the build was just G R E A T !! Wish it had a good (more powerful engine) & it would have survived against most cars.

It was a great car to have owned.

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:25   #25
BHPian

Sluggish engine but excellent LET (Low end torque)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
If only the Astra came with more peppy engine. It scored 10/10 in almost all segments except the engine,which was a bit sluggish. Apart from that,I think its quality was outstanding. No other car came close it for a long time.
I dont know abt others, but I change gears at 1900-200 RPM... religiously with the engine juddering that it... cars like Honda city need 2500-3000 rpm... its no use to race in city traffic.... as each road stretch (signal to signal) has an inherent speed...which does not vary much.
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:28   #26
BHPian

Lifecycle matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Ya the proof of the Astras build can best be observed in the second hand car market, where you can still see them in great condition!
Yes true... these cars like Merc and Toyota , BMW have long lifecycles, endurance and reliability..... my astra developed a coil spring breakage and a strut breakage, and I had no option but to drive it 200 kms.... no probs....

we will see the corolla faring that way after 5 yrs or so.,..... so my next car will be a corolla or innova petrol
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:33   #27
BHPian

Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I get 5-7 kmpl in citys and 17 km with A/c on national highways but 13 kmpl with full load and all AC on NHs.

This proves its a car for the highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks