6-10 years 72 24.24%
> 10 years 22 7.41%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:32   #31
BHPian

After 1 lakh kms

My perspective is it should be no. of kms and not the number of years
I would keep the car till it crosses 1 lakh kms ( assuming its a japanese/ german) mfr and then consider selling it -not because of the engine - most toyotas/ hondas would do 2 lac miles in the USA - and even with substantially more gruelling conditions here - the engine/transmission would easily go on till 2 lac kms here
But I have seen the suspensions starting to become troublesome - based on the ohc/ opel experiences in my family so would keep that as my benchmark
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

I would say its best to sell in about 3 or 4 years. Depreciation hits you hard when you approach the 5 year mark. Thats one reason I havent sold my 2002 esteem yet. When i saw the going price for a similar model, all plans of selling my ride were put off. Have hardly driven her around (around 45k KMS), still got loads of power and I dont think i'll ever get tired of her.
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
My perspective is it should be no. of kms and not the number of years
Well vikrant, the issue is that some cars which are passed off as low mileage cars (in terms of odo reading not FE) actually have their odo's rewound or tampered to show lower mileage. So it would be risky to consider odo readings alone. I have heard of cars that have clocked over a lakh kms in 2-3 years flat.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Well vikrant, the issue is that some cars which are passed off as low mileage cars (in terms of odo reading not FE) actually have their odo's rewound or tampered to show lower mileage. So it would be risky to consider odo readings alone. I have heard of cars that have clocked over a lakh kms in 2-3 years flat.
What I understood from the poll topic was when would I - the owner- sell the car - and not how old a car I would buy
From my perspective I would sell my car once it crossed a lac
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:28   #35
BHPian

5 years is the right time since the issues starts cropping up due to the age factor and an average odometer reading of ~ 75K.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poll : The right time to sell a new car

With interest rates at its peak, most of the new car purchases on finance would be on a 5 year term. With better powertrains and vehicle builds by the day, a new car would not get really worn down even in 5 years. Also you may get a brand new model of the same car in the same number of years that is like if you owned the old Honda City, by the end of 5 years you had an option to choose a brand new model in the City itself! Now thats what you call brand and model loyalty!
Old 12th December 2011, 16:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a similar dilemma , I have a 4 months old Figo titanium TDCi and now I may have to sell it off as I have to go long-term onsite for 1 to 2yrs.
There is no one at home who can use this vehicle, I originally planned to keep the vehicle for 5 yrs.

Last edited by tj123 : 12th December 2011 at 16:55. Reason: typo
Old 12th December 2011, 16:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

There should be another option:
"When the wheels fall off"
I'll vote for that.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:06   #39
BHPian

I feel the best possible time to buy a car is when it is 1.5 years old (2nd hand). That way major depreciation hits are taken by the first owner. Then keep the vehicle until it is sturdy without any problems. Once it starts giving problems just sell it off.
That way, one wouldnt spend too much on repairs as well as do not take a huge depreciation hit.
So it depends on how the vehicle holds up, how one drives and so other factors
Old 12th December 2011, 17:09   #40
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Voted for 6-10 years. This is when the FE and the repairs would start hurting financially.

Have to sync up the buying decision with the product life cycle as well. e.g. would I buy an ANHC today? The answer is no. Going by history, in less than 3 years from now a completely new City would on the on the road and the current model is suddenly going to look one generation old.

On the other hand, I have a 8 year old Alto and it still does not feel "too old" as the current generation does not look too far from how the car looked 8 years back.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

We generally sell our cars when they cross a Lakh kms or as soon as they start giving problems.So generally every car goes away after 5 years.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:10   #42
BHPian

I would say 3 years. Best time as both the former as well as the new one gets to enjoy the car in better condition. Not all cars are built to last and they start off with their niggles around the 5 year mark or so.

As for Chevy's right after the free maintenance package is over
Old 12th December 2011, 17:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

I'm a firm believer of 'use it till it lasts' so voted for 6-10 years. In our garage there's a car which is 23years old. Problem is, if i try selling it now i won't even be able to afford 3 games for a PS 3.

Our other car is almost 5 years old and is nearing the 70k mark. Almost came close to selling it off this year, but decided to use it for another 2 yrs and later upgrade. So if things go according to plan it should be 7 yrs old with 1lakh on the odo when it time to sell.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:21   #44
BHPian

For me its 3-4 yrs max irrespective of ODO, as you lose interest in same drive after these many years and you get good price too. I have sold my i10 irde after 3 yrs for just 1.4 lakh depreciation.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:34   #45
BHPian

I've had my 2006 Honda City for 5 years, perfectly happy with it. Runs smooth as a gem, gives me no problems.

I'm keeping this baby for another 8-9 years easy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks