Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2007, 16:59   #1
BHPian

Spotted Subaru Forester & "Chevy Forester" in Hyderabad

Spotted a Subaru Forester & a Chevy Forester in Hyd last month. Both looked pretty much the same. Is GM launching the Subaru Forester in India under the Chevy brand?
Old 25th October 2007, 21:08   #2
HSV
BHPian

As far as I can recollect, it used to be there for around the 14Lac mark and they later discontinued it due to lukewarm response. I'd be surprised if it s coming back, although I must say that I for one do like that car very much - even its elder brother moreso, the Subaru Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Spotted a Subaru Forester & a Chevy Forester in Hyd last month. Both looked pretty much the same. Is GM launching the Subaru Forester in India under the Chevy brand?
Old 25th October 2007, 21:25   #3
BHPian

AFAIK, Chevy launched Forester as it's first vehicle in India few years back and it has been discontinued later due to poor sales figures.
Old 25th October 2007, 21:35   #4
BHPian

i have seen one and one thing is the badging is only on the car on the steering wheel and wheels its still has chevy.
Old 25th October 2007, 22:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

When my friend bought a Chevy Forester a couple of years back, he took off Chevy badge and replaced them with Subaru. As someone who owned a Subaru (outback) once, I understand and support the need of Forester owners to throw away the Chevy badge. So, what you saw was probably someone like that.
Old 25th October 2007, 23:08   #6

Chevrolet launched the outback/forester as their first car in india...it was a beautiful car..didnt work out sadly
Old 25th October 2007, 23:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wrong timing for a very mature car. Moreover GM India was still on its learning curve. As a result we have lost all prospects of having a Chevy Imprezza WRX (but now with that new third quarter glass, who needs one)
Old 26th October 2007, 01:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Forester didn't seem like a vehicle that was going to be as popular as any other Chevy vehicle. As mentioned in aother thread,I feel that the Forester was one of the few cars from Subaru,that sold very few numbers. The Outback & the Legacy sold much more,in terms of annual sales.

It was described as one of the most 'boxy' looking vehicles in its class.

Last edited by Nitin : 26th October 2007 at 01:19.
Old 26th October 2007, 04:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
As far as I remember GM has sold it stake in subaru to Toyota. So GM can not launch any of the Subaru product.
Old 26th October 2007, 10:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
When my friend bought a Chevy Forester a couple of years back, he took off Chevy badge and replaced them with Subaru. As someone who owned a Subaru (outback) once, I understand and support the need of Forester owners to throw away the Chevy badge. So, what you saw was probably someone like that.
Agree, the Chevy Forester is the same as the Subaru Forester in all aspects except for the badging. If I remember right, the steering wheel had a Subaru logo. I have driven a colleague's Forester in Melbourne and should say it is a 'Fun To Drive' car. Unfortunately, did not do well in India.

Can anybody share their experience with this car in India with respect to availability of spares, maintenance costs, fuel-average, re-sale value etc.,?
Old 26th October 2007, 11:06   #11
BHPian

Sad to hear that its not coming in

I was hoping it was a new discovery. I didn't realize that the Chevy was introduced a long time ago.
But yeah, the similarity did exist, and I was hoping that my dream car would atleast be available . Been an avid fan of the Subarus for a while now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Agree, the Chevy Forester is the same as the Subaru Forester in all aspects except for the badging. If I remember right, the steering wheel had a Subaru logo. I have driven a colleague's Forester in Melbourne and should say it is a 'Fun To Drive' car. Unfortunately, did not do well in India.
Can anybody share their experience with this car in India with respect to availability of spares, maintenance costs, fuel-average, re-sale value etc.,?
Old 26th October 2007, 11:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
Chevrolet launched the outback/forester as their first car in india...it was a beautiful car..didnt work out sadly
Because it had Non-turbo Engine.
Old 26th October 2007, 11:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Because it had Non-turbo Engine.
What do you mean by non turbo ? The Forester in India was a petrol vehicle as far as I know. Also, I think with the Captiva planned by GM, Forester will not be relaunched.
Old 26th October 2007, 11:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Maybe, your friend could also be my colleague who sits right next to me. Nagakiran??
Old 26th October 2007, 12:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
What do you mean by non turbo ? The Forester in India was a petrol vehicle as far as I know.
AFAIK It was petrol engine but the not the turbocharged like Sti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks